Thai word for psychopath

Monomial

I am trying to find a Thai translation for the English word/medical term "psychopath". The best google translate can come up with is "ผู้มีโรคจิต", but that doesn't seem to convey the meaning to me, as "โรคจิต" as I understand the word is just a general mental disorder, whereas psychopath is a very specific condition that conveys that a person is unable to process emotions in the same way that the rest of us take for granted.

Does anyone know if there is a specific word or phrase in Thai which conveys the complete context of the meaning of psychopath? Sadly my Thai is at a very elementary level and this kind of nuance is just beyond me.

Thank you for any assistance.

I don't think จิตเภท is correct. โรคจิตเภท is reserved for schizophrenia which is distinct from psychopathy. (จิตเภท lit. 'split mind' - the sufferer's mind has become separated from reality as opposed to psychopathy: a personality disorder characterized by enduring antisocial behaviour, diminished empathy and remorse, and disinhibited or bold behaviour).
https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A0%E0%B8%97
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy

Looking on Google, Thais often seem to just use the English transliteration ไซโคพาธ for Psychopath, followed by an explanation in Thai of the condition
eg

3. ไซโคพาธ ( Psychopathic Personality )

ได้แก่ ผู้ที่มีอาการทางประสาท หรือจิตใจที่มีความผิดปกติ อันอาจนำไปสู่การกระทำผิดได้ โดยมีอาการ อาทิ

. ต่อต้านสังคม

.ยึดมั่นในโลกแห่งความเป็นจริง แต่

- คิดถึงแต่ตัวเอง

- ไม่มีจิตสำนึก

- ไม่มีความเห็นอกเห็นใจ

- ไม่มีศีลธรรม

- ไม่เสียใจในสิ่งที่ได้กระทำ

http://www.polsci.chula.ac.th/sumonthip/psycho.htm

or

psychopathic personality บุคลิกภาพต่อต้านสังคม

https://minorityworlds.wordpress.com/tag/%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%8B%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%98/

or

psychopath (คนอันธพาลมีความผิดปกติทางจิต)

https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B8%9F%E0%B8%B4%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%8C_%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B5._%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%88

or

ในทางการแพทย์ ไซโคพาธ เป็นความผิดปกติทางบุคลิก ที่มีคุณลักษณะเฉพาะคือพฤติกรรมต่อต้านสังคมการขาดความสามารถในการเข้าใจผู้ อื่น และไม่มีความสำนึกผิด พวกเขามีความสัมพันธ์เพื่อให้ความต้องการของตนเองได้รับการตอบสนองเช่นกัน แต่ความต้องการของพวกเขาแตกต่างจากอีกฝ่ายหนึ่ง

http://www.komchadluek.net/detail/20141122/196346.html

etc

Edited by katana

• 1 year later...
On 3/5/2016 at 7:03 AM, Johnniey said:

Yes, there's a big difference between psychopath and psychotic.

Also there is difference between sociopathy, anti-social personality disorder and psychopathy. I've read some Thai articles about the subject and mostly they use these terms interchangeably sometimes even with narccistic personality disorder. Psychopathy diagnosis is mainly used only in US and if I remember correctly in UK, but it's has it's use because as anti-social personality disorder criterians include mainly the anti-social behaviour psychopathy diagnose is more inter-personal and emotional criteria.. Sociopathy is outdated term. I could write more about this topic, I've studied this for years and I'm very interested in Thai society view on psychopathy. Any recommendations in Thai? I'm pretty sure that in Thailand prison they don't make diagnoses even for  anti-social personality disorder which is used largely almost every wester country.

Edited by THssii

From a practical standpoint Capt Haddock is right, mental illness is good enough from a language point of view.  I didn't know what a psychopath was although I have used the word for violent antisocial people, but a Thai who knew what it meant would be using the English word I think.   

What about the Wikipedia explanation posted by katana? 

ต่อด้านสังคม  

Just for the sake of discussion, I feel that it means against societies/society but that is to read. ต่อ as 'against' and ignore ด้าน unless I make it a noun, on the sociable side.  Sometimes ด้าน can be read as 'against' too I think but it doesn't make any difference. 

It looks like a heading because อาทิ is used to indicate specific examples. 

How about ยึดมั่นในโลกแห่งความจริง แต่ What does it say and what is แต่ saying? 

6 hours ago, tgeezer said:

From a practical standpoint Capt Haddock is right, mental illness is good enough from a language point of view.  I didn't know what a psychopath was although I have used the word for violent antisocial people, but a Thai who knew what it meant would be using the English word I think.   

What about the Wikipedia explanation posted by katana? 

ต่อด้านสังคม  

Just for the sake of discussion, I feel that it means against societies/society but that is to read. ต่อ as 'against' and ignore ด้าน unless I make it a noun, on the sociable side.  Sometimes ด้าน can be read as 'against' too I think but it doesn't make any difference. 

It looks like a heading because อาทิ is used to indicate specific examples. 

How about ยึดมั่นในโลกแห่งความจริง แต่ What does it say and what is แต่ saying? 

ต่อต้าน is a verb meaning "to oppose."  ต่อต้านสังคม is an adjective meaning "anti-social", i.e. in the sense of indifferent to the welfare of others, not opposed to a specific social order, such as a revolutionary, for example.

ต่อต้าน is a verb meaning "to oppose."  ต่อต้านสังคม is an adjective meaning "anti-social", i.e. in the sense of indifferent to the welfare of others, not opposed to a specific social order, such as a revolutionary, for example.

I see now ต่อด้นสังคม is the 'stock' translation of 'anti social' I should use the T-E dictionary when English is the story.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2017 at 4:47 AM, CaptHaddock said:

เขาเป็นโรคจิต

Although that sounds like a non-specific term for mental illness, it seems to be the preferred term for a psychopath. 

Psychopathy is not mental illness its personality disorder. โรคจิต is someone with schizophrenia, or  maybe sever depression, but no matter people everywhere tend to use mentally sick from psychopaths like serial killers or extremely violent people even tho they mostly are totally sane, not lucid. Not even sure if personality disorders are diagnosed in Thailand, but you can be pretty sure there are millions of them (1% of population). Woman who con some farang guy form all his money and house is definitely some kind of narcissism or even psychopath. Anti-social personality disorder thought is around 10% of population. I would be very wary of any people who seems to have very strong charisma and shallow emotions.

Its interesting that thai world for pedophilia is children loving sickness, but thats is pretty accurate translation from greek word pedophilia which mean love of child. Somehow they forgot to add the sexual side of it to the world, it might sound like someone just loves children little too much (what pedos might do in wrong way?). lol

Edited by THssii

From http://www.thaiglossary.org/groups/med/browse/published/search/P/prefix:

คำศัพท์: Psychopathology
ศัพท์บัญญัติ:  
อักษรย่อ:  
ความหมาย: จิตพยาธิสภาพ, จิตพยาธิวิทยา
รายละเอียด:  
เอกสารแหล่งที่มา: หอสมุดคณะแพทยศาสตร์ จุฬาลงกรณ์มหาวิทยาลัย
กลุ่ม: การแพทย์

The Forbes magazine article "The Top 10 Jobs That Attract Psychopaths" has been translated with "psychopath" as คนจิตป่วน.

ยอดอาชีพที่คนจิตป่วนใฝ่ฝัน

Psychopath is also rendered in the subtitles to Guardians of the Galaxy 2.  Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough to read it all.  It began (I think) อีโ...  However, this may just be some general insult, rather than a direct translation.

On 4/19/2017 at 10:20 PM, bangkokbanjo said:

On a different note, i started learning thai 3 months ago. Many here seem very fluent. Any advice on learning?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They might be fluent, Im note even near fluent, but I've read psychology. Many people here make big mistakes about temrinology, but really thats also to blame of thai terminology. They often say personality disorders are mental illnesses, which they are not, they can be cured like some illnesses. Also they are sane they are not insane. But the reason might be that psychology in Asia is different from Western countries. I don't think that in Thailand they diagnose anyone with personality disorder, even that I'd say 40% of Thailand prison population is filled with anti-social personality disorders people and 20% psychopaths. But I thinkl there are some specific term for people who are unable to feel empathy toward another human being in thai, but haven't found yet maybe someone more fluent know it? If you look Thailand news about some cruesome murderers and when they interview the suspect, well they seems to be totally luck of anykind of empathy, blaming the victim and so on.

Edited by THssii

4 minutes ago, THssii said:

I'd say 40% of Thailand prison population is filled with anti-social personality disorders people and 20% psychopaths.

Given that around 70% of prisoners in Thailand are jailed for drugs offences - mostly minor - I'm pretty sure your guesstimates are way off.

Source for 70% figure:  http://www.reuters.com/article/us-drugs-thailand-prisons-idUSKCN0ZX01J

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Given that around 70% of prisoners in Thailand are jailed for drugs offences - mostly minor - I'm pretty sure your guesstimates are way off.

Source for 70% figure:  http://www.reuters.com/article/us-drugs-thailand-prisons-idUSKCN0ZX01J

Ah true I forgot the harsh penalties on drug offenses, so there are lot of normal good guys too, thought people with psychopathy or anti-social personality disorder tend to abuse more illegal drugs and have addiction issues than the average "neurotypical" population, but still using drugs is so small offend that you don't deserve to go to jail. But lets say 80% violent criminals and rapists are for have some kind of empathy deficiency abnormal brains that causes personality disorders, like psychopathy and ASPD. I've read one book about Thai warden on death penalty section, he told how some of the people acted. One guy just boasted how many people he have killed while taking to front of firing squad, another one told that he was innocent (very possible) but the evidence were pretty clear and he just denied doing anything wrong.

Edited by THssii