Update on clearing big overstay

I don't believe they can read the Thai stamp.

The written languages of Thai and Laos are mutually intelligible to educated natives. Even if they were not, providing the IOs with an example of what an overstay stamp looks like (as has sometimes been done here for the benefit of those who cannot read Thai) would be sufficient.

I suspect that most immigration (multiple countries) would have a list of symbols and numbers that translate very easily. Square entry with date until, triangle exit with date of actual exit (is the exit greater).... if over then a stamp connecting with days, baht paid and date with signature. If they are told to look for it, then it is really really easy to figure out. Professional immigration officers are going to make the exit beside or connecting to the entry and the entry near the exit of the country you are coming from.

you seem very pleased about your boast post having said glad to hear you've got it sorted

Of course he is bloody pleased. He just cleared a major overstay and is legal in Thailand for the foseeable future.

I'd be well chuffed to be out from under the sword as well.

The written languages of Thai and Laos are mutually intelligible to educated natives. Even if they were not, providing the IOs with an example of what an overstay stamp looks like (as has sometimes been done here for the benefit of those who cannot read Thai) would be sufficient.

Yeah I agree about Laos, I was talking about other countries in the future in response to the previous poster.

I'd just tell the IO's it's a visa, that's how they look in Thailand. Or a paid extension of stay lol.

Edited by lkv

• 3 months later...

I have a one day overstay in Thailand and was just denied check-in by Laos airlines to Vientiane. I had a round trip ticket back to Bangkok. The check-in women apparently called Laos immigration and they denied me.

That's strict. It is important information. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

For starters, all Thai and Lao stamps are in English. Secondly, while Lao visas on arrival also have Lao and French on them, the entry stamps are ONLY in English; Thailand is much the same except Thai visas don't feature any Thai writing on them (for some reason).

Thirdly, at least at the shared land borders, Lao officials would have to know what Thai stamps look like, they see them everyday and co-operation between the two sides is a must. Lao immigration can not permit a traveler from entering Thailand who needs a visa but doesn't have one, and is not eligible for a visa on arrival (or depending on the entry point, VOA is not available).

I think the overstay stamp is in Thai only for some reason (strange that they aren't consistent in this respect) but as you say, the Lao would certainly know what one looks like.

Since a large number of flights to Vientiane are from Thailand, the IOs there are certain to be familiar with Thai stamps too, as they see them multiple times a day, everyday.