Thanat Khoman, Former Foreign Minister, 101

rooster59

Thanat Khoman, Former Foreign Minister, 101

post-247607-0-24509100-1457177751_thumb.

In this Oct. 3, 1961, file photo, then-Thailand's Foreign Minister Thanat Khomanthen, left, talks with then-U.S. President John F. Kennedy at the White House in Washington. Photo: Bill Allen / Associated Press

BANGKOK — Thanat Khoman, who as Thailand's foreign minister helped cement his country's close relations with the United States during the Vietnam War, has died at age 101, his family announced. His death was attributed to natural causes.

U.S. diplomats who dealt with Thanat described him admiringly as shrewd and above all, dedicated to seeking advantage for his country. Shifting international politics saw Thanat move from being an advocate of close links to Washington to a promoter of regional balance by establishing relations with China, which had been a Cold War bogeyman.

"He defended Thailand's interests with grit and grace," U.S. Ambassador to Thailand Glyn Davies said in a statement after Thanat's death Thursday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1457169361

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-03-05

RIP & hope we all live to 101 or better.

Some older Thai friends told me a funny story about this guy.

His English amounted to nothing, so he was coached about his visit to JFK.

He was taught to say "How are you?" to which JFK would say "I'm fine, and you?" to which he was to reply, "Me too".

It came out "Who are you?"

Kennedy said "Well, I'm Jackie's husband".

Me too.

Wonder if his epitaph will include the assistance that was given (basically for thai business and Elites to make money) to the Kamer Rouge when they took over Cambodia and the resulting Genocide …Thought Not bah.gif

Wonder if his epitaph will include the assistance that was given (basically for thai business and Elites to make money) to the Kamer Rouge when they took over Cambodia and the resulting Genocide …Thought Not bah.gif

It wasn't only the Thais who supported the Khmer Rouge.

US National Security Advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski himself claims that he concocted the idea of persuading Thailand to cooperate fully with China in its efforts to rebuild the Khmer Rouge.

In fact, US support went well beyond encouraging others to rearm the Khmer Rouge.

www.counterpunch.org/2014/10/16/who-supported-the-khmer-rouge/