Please Advise

Hey, I've got a situation on my hands, and I'd really appreciate some advice:

Ok, so I'm planning to go to Thailand on Jan. 4 with my girlfriend to teach ESL in Udonthani. The job is set up, but we will not be "technically" working, if you know what I mean. So a tourist visa is all we can work with. In light of all the changes, how should we go about this? I am very worried, because we are supposed to stay until March, '08 and it sounds like that's going to be pretty tough. Can we get multiple entry tourist visas, and can those entries be used back-to-back-to-back? I've been told that my employer will take us to the necessarry places to get renewed, but since the changes took place, can that only happen for 90 days max, or will he know how to get around that, do you think? I'm really in a bind, because we have to get our plane tickets soon, and I'm completely on the fence whether I should just cancel it altogether or give it a shot and hope the strict new rules will be un-enforcable for so many that are in my shoes. Please advise, I'm in crisis mode here.

Ok, so I'm planning to go to Thailand on Jan. 4 with my girlfriend to teach ESL in Udonthani. The job is set up, but we will not be "technically" working, if you know what I mean. So a tourist visa is all we can work with. In light of all the changes, how should we go about this? I am very worried, because we are supposed to stay until March, '08 and it sounds like that's going to be pretty tough. Can we get multiple entry tourist visas, and can those entries be used back-to-back-to-back? I've been told that my employer will take us to the necessarry places to get renewed, but since the changes took place, can that only happen for 90 days max, or will he know how to get around that, do you think? I'm really in a bind, because we have to get our plane tickets soon, and I'm completely on the fence whether I should just cancel it altogether or give it a shot and hope the strict new rules will be un-enforcable for so many that are in my shoes. Please advise, I'm in crisis mode here.

Work is work. Rethink your situation before working on a tourist visa.

sorry to be another voice to ruin what seemed like a fun year in Thailand, but get a Work Permit or dont come - from 1 October this year, the new visa changes suggest the Thai authorities are keen to tighten up on this sort of activity .

If they aint providing a work permit now mate and you found the job over the net perhaps you got to question the kind of employees you are working for? I'm no teacher and I know there are plenty of good jobs on the net teaching over here but I would expect (and I bet someone can back this up) there are a lot of websites that are trying to find people like yourself for cheap illegal labour.

If I was you I'd ask for the work permit, if they can't provide, don't work for them you may find yourself in trouble especially in these strange times.

Perhaps a better option is to come over here with a bit of holiday cash first, and then find a job once your in the country. If you have the qualifications you could find a job that provides a work permit and decent wages (what does the current job offer you?) pretty easily I would have thought.

Good luck, it's a fantastic country. :o

If they're providing a WP shouldn't they be sending you a letter from the school for you to show the Thai Emb/Consulate so that you can apply for a non-imm visa? I thought a non-imm visa was needed to start the ball rolling for the WP process.

Yes, I think they need proper visas first, and work permits right after that. But, if the employer is diligent, a tourist visa can be converted to a non-immigrant B. Better to start with a B visa, for which the employer should provide an 'intent to hire' letter on school stationery.

Now that I typed that last sentence, I can't believe how impossible it was to get that from a 99-year old school, and then from a 75 year-old school....ah, well.