Raising Land

Jeff1

Hi Jeff. Sounds like that land is near me (my direction anyways). :D I'll ask around here if anyone has some recent info. They just redug the water hole in Banprang beginning of the year...that would have been a good time to do it I would think. Then again they always seem to be digging more "ponds" in the area, so maybe "anytime" is a good time. :o

I was just given a qoute of 35,000 baht per rai to raise our land 25 inches.

Is this a fair price ? Has anyone here done it lately?

The land is about 1 hour drive NW of Korat.

Thanks,

Jeff

I make that Bht 100.00 per 4 wheel load which sounds very reasonable.

I make that Bht 100.00 per 4 wheel load which sounds very reasonable.

Ah ha. If that is a correct calculation then I do remember talking to a Farang "down the street" who recently paid 120 Baht per truck load, which also seemed quite reasonable. So 100 Baht per load does indeed sound like a very good deal. :o

That sounds a good price I paid about 120/150 per lorry 2 years ago. don't forget you will need to pay the tractor also for leveling the fill, around here they charge 25 bht per lorry unless that is included in your quote

macb

I was just given a qoute of 35,000 baht per rai to raise our land 25 inches.

Is this a fair price ? Has anyone here done it lately?

The land is about 1 hour drive NW of Korat.

Thanks,

Jeff

To put a few of Jayenram's thoughts in writing:

1 rai = 1600 square metres

25 inches = 0.635 m

1 rai x 25 inches = 1016 cubic metres

1 truck = 4 cubic metres (or maybe 3.5 is more realistic?)

1016 / (3.5 to 4) = 250 to 300 truck loads

35,000 baht / (250 to 300) = 120 to 140 baht per load

Which would be very cheap for "imported" soil, and ok for your own soil (I now have two ponds :o )

Cheers,

Mike

1 truck = 4 cubic metres (or maybe 3.5 is more realistic?)

1016 / (3.5 to 4) = 250 to 300 truck loads

35,000 baht / (250 to 300) = 120 to 140 baht per load

I agree that a 4 wheel truck will generally carry 4.00 cubic metres of earth, however, in my experience 4.00 cube of loose earth will compact to 3.20 cube, so you'd be looking at Bht 110.00 per load. Whether it's Bht 100.00 or Bht 140.00, it's still a good price though.

If its your own dirt and the trucks don't have to go very far then I would think that you could get it done cheaper....seems like we were quoted about 60 baht per truck load for loading, hauling and spreading...but the price depends on how much work is available and how much people are willing to spend to be next in line.

Chownah

Hi Jeff. Sounds like that land is near me (my direction anyways). :D I'll ask around here if anyone has some recent info. They just redug the water hole in Banprang beginning of the year...that would have been a good time to do it I would think. Then again they always seem to be digging more "ponds" in the area, so maybe "anytime" is a good time. :o

Hi Ken,

Yes, it's very close to you actually. We'll hook up in January. maybe someone wants to get rid of some dirt.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I figured that I would go with the quote. They guy is local and knows my wifes family. He say's he is slow now and it does include the leveling. I just wanted to get the fair price and not the farang price.

Bt100 is cheap but beware: I paid that and the quality of dirt they delivered to our yard was very poor. Full of rocks and after the first rains, the whole place sprouted with weeds.

Make sure of the quality of dirt and pay a little extra if you plan a garden in the future.