The Real Price of a Cheap Massage

geovalin

Khmer Time / Jonathan Cox

The signs outside Cambodia’s massage parlors advertise prices that are less than one tenth the price in Europe or the US, making them popular with tourists and locals alike. But the workers who massage away their customers’ worries face anxieties of their own.

Many earn a base salary of less than $50 a month. They count on tips to make a living, and these tips can run low after the peak tourist season ends. Even if the masseuses get enough clients to earn a living wage, many risk developing health problems like arthritis that can bring their career to a sudden end.

Most massage parlors do not have unions, so masseuses who fight for higher wages or health benefits can be fired without warning. Officials from the Cambodian Food and Service Workers’ Federation (CFSWF) said employers often ignore the labor law, requiring employees to work on public holidays or giving no extra pay for overtime.

“Many of the shops don’t comply with the labor law or respect the right of the workers,” said Sar Mora, president of the CFSWF. “When we look at some of the shops, they do not have a proper workplace.”

Hurt and Discarded

The Alaska Massage Parlor in Siem Reap employs roughly 150 people and is one of the few massage parlors in the country with a union. But even there, workers have little job security.

Seng Thorn worked as a masseuse there for 10 years, helping aching tourists relax after a day of touring Siem Reap’s temples. Last year she developed arthritis in her hands. Unable to work, she asked for temporary leave. But her manager said she needed proof of health problems from a doctor first.

Ms. Thorn could not afford a check-up at the hospital, and without health benefits she could not afford physical therapy, so she was forced to leave her job.

Mr. Mora said cases like Ms. Thorn’s are common. The hours masseuses spend kneading the muscles of customers’ backs can take a toll, causing arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome. “It often happens that they have problems with their hands,” Mr. Mora said. “Sometimes it takes them a long time to recover. There are some workers who have to leave their jobs because of problems with their hands.”

Kim Man, speaking on behalf of Alaska’s owner, Cho Sung Mi, insisted that the workers there are treated fairly. “Our shop has no problems,” he said.

EXCELLENT LONG ARTICLE TO BE READ HER

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/22406/the-real-price-of-a-cheap-massage/

Personally, I don't care that a masseuse charges 80-120 dollars an hour in Europe/USA/Canada.

There my dollars stay in my pocket and I don't spend a nickel. Here I see signs for 200-300 baht

for an hour and indulge. Of course I tip a 100 baht. It is just the right thing to do. A small tip to

a hard working masseuse and nothing for the flower sellers and scam artist walking the beaches

and bars looking for charity donations. whistling.gif

The Lying Planet Guide did these places no favour when claiming wrongly, that they were sex parlours. They are not. I tried to get a happy ending at many but could not ( before the LPG made its erroneous comment). I doubt the LPG retracted its statement-it never does. It is a truly despicable guide book that does untold damage to individuals, communities and the countries it writes about. Cambodia is really depressing compared to Thailand. I feel sorry for those girls and all Cambodians in general.

The Lying Planet Guide did these places no favour when claiming wrongly, that they were sex parlours. They are not. I tried to get a happy ending at many but could not ( before the LPG made its erroneous comment). I doubt the LPG retracted its statement-it never does. It is a truly despicable guide book that does untold damage to individuals, communities and the countries it writes about. Cambodia is really depressing compared to Thailand. I feel sorry for those girls and all Cambodians in general.

Seek and you will find.

Knowledge is the key.

Before they talk about the prices and earnings, they should mention the education they receive. This goes for all Asia. They have non in comparison to the western standards and especially to Canadian education system and College exams not to mention Board of RMT Certification Exams.

Edited by Norvid 1950