Best border crossing to clear a long overstay now

ubonjoe,

My daughter is 37 years old. But now there is a new twist to the story: Her US passport will expire in early August. She only has 5 months left on her passport. No visa to Laos or Thailand is possible without at least 6 months left on the validity of the passport. I am trying to figure out how to help her fix all this, but the passport expiration in 5 months seems to complicate things quite a bit. She could possibly be able to process the new passport in time, but I don't think the US embassy would want to do it with an overstay.

Any ideas?

She can travel to Hong Kong where she can either apply for a visa or return for a visa exempt entry.

If the lady can prove she is Thai she can get a one year extension of stay from immigration or failing that she could apply for a 30 day extension to the visa exempt entry or tourist visa.

She can get a temporary passport at the US consulate in Hong Kong, it is good for one year.

However, would it not be better to pay her overstay on air exit and return on her Thai passport?

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing Thailand Update:

OP here.

OK, so my daughter finally got her Thai ID card today which makes her officially a Thai citizen. But she still has her US passport with a long overstay in it. However, she must get a new US passport soon because the one she has (with the long overstay in it) will expire in about 4 months.

So should she try and clear the overstay somewhere, somehow? Or should she just get a new US passport and forget about the overstay in the old passport? She will soon apply for a Thai passport with which she could use to exit Thailand if she wants to go somewhere. Almost sounds too easy.

Thoughtful and informed opinions requested, please.

Amazing Thailand Update:

OP here.

OK, so my daughter finally got her Thai ID card today which makes her officially a Thai citizen. But she still has her US passport with a long overstay in it. However, she must get a new US passport soon because the one she has (with the long overstay in it) will expire in about 4 months.

So should she try and clear the overstay somewhere, somehow? Or should she just get a new US passport and forget about the overstay in the old passport? She will soon apply for a Thai passport with which she could use to exit Thailand if she wants to go somewhere. Almost sounds too easy.

Thoughtful and informed opinions requested, please.

A new passport will not make the overstay go away !

I believe your daughter should exit the country (clearing the overstay) using the US passport and the return on her Thai passport.

ubonjoe,

My daughter is 37 years old. But now there is a new twist to the story: Her US passport will expire in early August. She only has 5 months left on her passport. No visa to Laos or Thailand is possible without at least 6 months left on the validity of the passport. I am trying to figure out how to help her fix all this, but the passport expiration in 5 months seems to complicate things quite a bit. She could possibly be able to process the new passport in time, but I don't think the US embassy would want to do it with an overstay.

Any ideas?

She can travel to Hong Kong where she can either apply for a visa or return for a visa exempt entry.

If the lady can prove she is Thai she can get a one year extension of stay from immigration or failing that she could apply for a 30 day extension to the visa exempt entry or tourist visa.

She can get a temporary passport at the US consulate in Hong Kong, it is good for one year.

However, would it not be better to pay her overstay on air exit and return on her Thai passport?

Your question is a good one. Usually, if the new passport is issued by the same country as the old one, they will be linked in the immigration computer. I do not think that will happen in the case of a new Thai passport. Your idea would probably be successful. That said, she would still be guilty of an unresolved overstay which could come back to bite her at any time in the future. My instinct would be to clear the overstay, though the temptation to avoid the fine might be strong.

EDIT: I think it would be safe to go to Chaeng Wattana immigration with the US passport and Thai ID card to sort out the overstay. Usually, this could carry the risk of arrest and deportation, but the Thai ID card is surely protection against that.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1