Need help with questions: Im moving to Southern Thailand

westbounder

Hi,

I have lived in Chiang Mai 8 years now but I need a change.

I am an American male aged 57.

I have heard good things about Nakon Si Thamarrat.

I will tell you what I like and like to do and maybe you can give me the best place or area there to move to.

I like the mountains (mountain view for a house would be nice.)

also fairly close to the beach.

I want to buy a small house or small land to make a house.

Is the land cheap there?

On average, how much is 1 rai of land in a quiet area.

I definitely like and need a quiet area and very little cars or traffic.

I ride bicycle daily so I need cement or paved roads with little traffic.

Is Immigration there good and is it easy to extend your retirement visa without appointment or hassle?

Thank You Kindly for your help

Chiang Mai to the South would definitely be a change.

As a foreigner you can't buy land, so I would forget going that route.

You can rent a house, condo or apartment here very cheaply 5 -6,000 baht for a townhouse in Songkhla Town, where there is also a small expat community.

I also hear good things about Nakhon Sri Thammarat and I am sure some of the other posters in this forum will provide you with good info.

There isn't much hillside land right on the water along most of the east coast.

The beaches along the Andaman Coast are much nicer, but I wouldn't recommend Phuket if you want a quiet place to ride a bicycle.

The northern parts of Phang Nga are very nice; that's probably where I would choose to live if I didn't have to work, educate my kid, etc.

As for Immigration, the office in Haad Yai is pretty laid back and they stick by the ever-changing rules, but if you have all your documents together they won't hassle you.

Anyway, I am sending you a PM with some additional info.

Chumphon has some nice, quiet beaches and yet is a short drive to the glorious mountains. rentals are cheap and there is a small expat community and all the shops a farang might need. You also have easy access to the islands via the ferry and a visa run to Ranong is a great ride / drive. If you need to go to BKK then the train is painless and cheap biggrin.png

Definitely quiet.... however if you need to .. the expat community is growing here.. The Kanom Beach Area is nice, quiet..

You will find your favorite cup on joe here.. Mickey Dees opened 2 years ago or so. Central Plaza Mall will be finished by the end of the year.

Also the Muslim food is excellent.

Cheers Mate

Chumphon has some nice, quiet beaches and yet is a short drive to the glorious mountains. rentals are cheap and there is a small expat community and all the shops a farang might need. You also have easy access to the islands via the ferry and a visa run to Ranong is a great ride / drive. If you need to go to BKK then the train is painless and cheap biggrin.png

How can one find a house to rent in Chumphon? Have looked on the internet but not much is advertised, any suggestions please?

Archived