PCAD supporters rally to support jailed 'popcorn gunman'

webfact

PCAD Supporters Rally to Support Jailed 'Popcorn Gunman'
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14574403901457440618l.jpg
Rally in support of Vivat Yodprasit at Bangkwang Prison in Bangkok today.

BANGKOK — A man convicted of opening fire on pro-election activists in 2014 got a prison visit and show of support from over 100 fans.

Members of the People’s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King as Head of State, or PCAD, the ultra-conservative group that led protests opposing the February 2014 election, rallied Tuesday in front of Bangkwang Prison where Vivat Yodprasit recently began serving his 37-year jail term.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1457440390&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-03-09

Isn't that a political gathering of more than 5 people supporting someone that was convicted of attempting to harm or successfully harming political opponents?

Oh wait! They are not reading books, eating sandwiches, making a three-fingered salute, or distributing calendars of an ex-PM. All good then.

Love the double-standards.

Edited by docshock13

100 FANS of a gunman, reds on stage cheering news of fatalities following a bomb and so on !

With attitudes like this and a govt determined to get its way no matter what and no matter how then reconciliation must be just around the corner. whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Isn't that a political gathering of more than 5 people supporting someone that was convicted of attempting to harm or successfully harming political opponents?

Oh wait! They are not reading books, eating sandwiches, making a three-fingered salute, or distributing calendars of an ex-PM. All good then.

While considering standards, double or otherwise, you might consider that this man is in jail, rather than having his case deferred indefinitely, or granted bail with no personal funds required, or being given a party list seat to defer prosecution, or even having the definition of the crime changed to protect the guilty.

You might also note than none of those "political opponents" involved in (and who allegedly initiated) the gunfight have been identified or prosecuted, let alone convicted and incarcerated.

100 FANS of a gunman, reds on stage cheering news of fatalities following a bomb and so on !

With attitudes like this and a govt determined to get its way no matter what and no matter how then reconciliation must be just around the corner. whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

And what's most fascinating to me is that knowing how little average Thais value the lives of other Thais, farangs here somehow maintain a belief suggesting otherwise and suggesting foreigners are just as safe here as anywhere else even despite the ever present and obvious anti-foreign attitude. It boggles the mind.

The culture is savage. And, I don't mean that necessarily as a put down. We all come from cultures that were at one time similarly savage. However, not every society progresses at the same pace.

Be Careful Out There. The smiles betray the reality.

Edited by PaullyW

And what's most fascinating to me is that knowing how little average Thais value the lives of other Thais, farangs here somehow maintain a belief suggesting otherwise and suggesting foreigners are just as safe here as anywhere else even despite the ever present and obvious anti-foreign attitude. It boggles the mind.

The culture is savage. And, I don't mean that necessarily as a put down. We all come from cultures that were at one time similarly savage. However, not every society progresses at the same pace.

Be Careful Out There. The smiles betray the reality.

Sanctity of human life is very much a Judeo-Christian concept, which seems to be almost totally absent in the muslim view, and rather less so in the Asian-Buddhist outlook. Whether taking different paths equates to 'progress' is a moot point. Certainly concentrating on individuals can reduce benefit to a society as a whole.

Supporting a convicted murderer who admitted it. What nice people they all are. I am sure a few trips to the temple justifies it! Hypocrisy. I don't care which side they are on. Glorifying a murderer is very low indeed and each one should be named and shamed.bah.gif

While considering standards, double or otherwise, you might consider that this man is in jail, rather than having his case deferred indefinitely, or granted bail with no personal funds required, or being given a party list seat to defer prosecution, or even having the definition of the crime changed to protect the guilty.

You might also note than none of those "political opponents" involved in (and who allegedly initiated) the gunfight have been identified or prosecuted, let alone convicted and incarcerated.

yes, he went to jail. and he is getting out on bail. just like all the red shirts after 2010, .... not.

As for your double standards argument, the monk who was leading the PDRC protesters that day in Laksi is still out and about, never charged with anything, and is even allowed to lead political protests without a word from the current regime.

You clearly don't understand the double standards at work in Thailand today.

Not a surprise.

oh, yeah, and your claim about who initiated what on that day, just go out and read a bit more.

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2014/02/07/the-laksi-gunfight/

Edited by tbthailand

He is a murder and like any murder red, yellow or pink he should not been seen as a hero. Here are some facts that's been hidden in the Thai news. He was paid $ 9 per day to act as a security guard for the protesters, he was given a M16 rifle by the head of the security team (of the protesters). http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/popcorn-gunman-gets-37-years-in-jail-1993498. http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2016/03/04/the-myth-of-the-popcorn-gunman/. Here is a transcript - http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Popcorn-gunman-fully-opens-his-heart.pdf. From this you will see that there was more than one anti-government shooter but only Top was arrested.

Unfortunately two wrongs don't make a right and this guy was the fall guy, the other shooters and the guy that gave him the gun weren't arrested. There is also no way the protesters could have brought in M 16's without the protest leaders knowing about it. But again a small guy will sit in jail while the hiso's drinks champagne.

yes, he went to jail. and he is getting out on bail. just like all the red shirts after 2010, .... not.

As for your double standards argument, the monk who was leading the PDRC protesters that day in Laksi is still out and about, never charged with anything, and is even allowed to lead political protests without a word from the current regime.

Not a surprise.

oh, yeah, and your claim about who initiated what on that day, just go out and read a bit more.

In your dreams - an appeal is being launched, but bail has not been granted, and has not been since his arrest.

Is there a law against being shot at in Thailand? Was he recorded inciting violence?

You like to claim that I don't understand issues, even when I give them to you as examples of that which you claim impossible. And yet you don't dispute what I claim in this thread, that many red leaders who instigated violence in 2010 and since are yet to see a court because of protective activities on the part of those benefiting from their violence.

The report seems pretty clear on who instigated the violence (not a surprise) - OTOH I did use the word "allegedly". Which part of it don't you understand?

Reconciliation is but a distant dream. What happen to the promise by the coup leader for reconciliation process within a year when he overthrow the previous government. He may have stopped the chaos but that was just momentary suppressed until the next eruption. I think he even aggravate the division with his different standards dealing with gatherings and his questionable dark influencers black list.

Not a surprise.

In your dreams - an appeal is being launched, but bail has not been granted, and has not been since his arrest.

Is there a law against being shot at in Thailand? Was he recorded inciting violence?

You like to claim that I don't understand issues, even when I give them to you as examples of that which you claim impossible. And yet you don't dispute what I claim in this thread, that many red leaders who instigated violence in 2010 and since are yet to see a court because of protective activities on the part of those benefiting from their violence.

The report seems pretty clear on who instigated the violence (not a surprise) - OTOH I did use the word "allegedly". Which part of it don't you understand?

The protestors instigated the violence of course. Acted like a load of animals and then tried to blame the violence on the govt supporters. No protests = no violence.

This bunch in the photo make me want to vomit. How can a group of so-called civilised people condone the act of murder? I'd also condemn them if they'd been red supporters (before you fanboys start). Most of them appear to be women: and they say that men are the more violent sex.

There appears to be no hope for this country while seemingly normal people cheer on the murderers as though they're movie stars just to make a political point.

Why oh why weren't they arrested for being a political gathering of more than five people? Issara got away with it and now this lot. I detect just a wee bit of favouritism shown by the govt towards the yellow side of the spectrum. How on earth do they expect to achieve reconciliation without an even handed approach to both sides?

Supporting a convicted murderer who admitted it. What nice people they all are. I am sure a few trips to the temple justifies it! Hypocrisy. I don't care which side they are on. Glorifying a murderer is very low indeed and each one should be named and shamed.bah.gif

Not defending him by any means, but I think you will find he got 37 years for attempted murder.

Not a surprise.

The protestors instigated the violence of course. Acted like a load of animals and then tried to blame the violence on the govt supporters. No protests = no violence.

This bunch in the photo make me want to vomit. How can a group of so-called civilised people condone the act of murder? I'd also condemn them if they'd been red supporters (before you fanboys start). Most of them appear to be women: and they say that men are the more violent sex.

There appears to be no hope for this country while seemingly normal people cheer on the murderers as though they're movie stars just to make a political point.

Why oh why weren't they arrested for being a political gathering of more than five people? Issara got away with it and now this lot. I detect just a wee bit of favouritism shown by the govt towards the yellow side of the spectrum. How on earth do they expect to achieve reconciliation without an even handed approach to both sides?

If you had read the Nostitz report, you would have realised that he was referring to the government supporters when he used the term "protesters".

From the comments, Nick wrote

"No I didn’t. It was the protesters at the police block, which, if you read my story, were the Red Shirt/Pro-election protesters. The PDRC protesters were 200 meters away."

Other than those who were heard to tell him "shoot them as soon as they appear" in respect of the unarmed pro-election crowd?

You mean the same double standards that saw "hundreds" of supporters every time that Yingluck goes to court?

Like you, I lust love the double standards.

On BOTH sides.

You mean the same double standards that saw "hundreds" of supporters every time that Yingluck goes to court?

On BOTH sides.

Really? A rally in support of a self-confessed hired killer v some aunties handing Yingluck roses?

Also gotta love the T-shirts: Popcorn Super Hero. As others have pointed out in previous posts, condoning violence against political opponents (regardless of which side of the political divide you are on) is a step AWAY from reconciliation not towards it.

Might as well go back to the Stone Age where disputes were settled with clubs.

On BOTH sides.

Really? A rally in support of a self-confessed hired killer v some aunties handing Yingluck roses?

Depending on which way you look both of them are political, or not.

Other than those who were heard to tell him "shoot them as soon as they appear" in respect of the unarmed pro-election crowd?

Didn't that statement come from a PCAD guard supervisor rather than Phra Buddha Issara? How does a member of 'the unarmed pro-election crowd' get observed shooting at PCAD by NN?

Exactly and a good point! He was the small fry following orders so he gets to take the rap while the bigwig who ordered him to shoot gets to walk away free and organise this little show of thanks at the prison gates.

Not a surprise.

If you had read the Nostitz report, you would have realised that he was referring to the government supporters when he used the term "protesters".

"No I didn’t. It was the protesters at the police block, which, if you read my story, were the Red Shirt/Pro-election protesters. The PDRC protesters were 200 meters away."

What Nick wrote in the discussion was the answer to a precise comment that you conveniently omitted to cite.

The comment was: "You got it wrong. The ones beating the car are the pro-governmet Red Shirts led by Ko Tee" (A car driven by alledged yellow supporters inadvertedly arrived where pro-election protesters were located and had been beaten by some of them before escaping. That was some time before the gunfire started and 200 meters away from the yellow protesters).

And the journalist answered: "No I didn’t. It was the protesters at the police block, which, if you read my story, were the Red Shirt/Pro-election protesters. The PDRC protesters were 200 meters away."

It was just a single isolated event, not connected to the beginning of the fight between the two sides. And to avoid any confusion, It was not an answer to a question such as: "who started firing guns?". How the gunfire happenned is well described in the article.

On BOTH sides.

Do you think I ought to bring up the bit about the Red Shirt leaders cheering about the deaths of some people until they heard that there were children murdered as well? There is a video somewhere on YouTube about that.

However it isn't about what you or I or any other farangs want, think or feel, it is about what Thai people want, think and feel.

I am sure that I could quote Thai people here who are anti Thaksin and pro government and I have no doubt that you can quote people who are pro Thaksin and anti government, but it would make no difference to the outcome of events.

We can argue all day every day and get nowhere but ONLY the Thai people can decide what will happen.

What Nick wrote in the discussion was the answer to a precise comment that you conveniently omitted to cite.

The comment was: "You got it wrong. The ones beating the car are the pro-governmet Red Shirts led by Ko Tee" (A car driven by alledged yellow supporters inadvertedly arrived where pro-election protesters were located and had been beaten by some of them before escaping. That was some time before the gunfire started and 200 meters away from the yellow protesters).

And the journalist answered: "No I didn’t. It was the protesters at the police block, which, if you read my story, were the Red Shirt/Pro-election protesters. The PDRC protesters were 200 meters away."

It was just a single isolated event, not connected to the beginning of the fight between the two sides. And to avoid any confusion, It was not an answer to a question such as: "who started firing guns?". How the gunfire happenned is well described in the article.

I was replying to the statement "The protestors instigated the violence of course. Acted like a load of animals and then tried to blame the violence on the govt supporters. No protests = no violence."

In that instance Nick was referring to red shirts as "protesters". It may suit you to claim that was not violence, or that is was completely dissociated from subsequent actions, or that Ko Tee and his thugs were unarmed protectors of democracy, but others will know that is a crock.

I was replying to the statement "The protestors instigated the violence of course. Acted like a load of animals and then tried to blame the violence on the govt supporters. No protests = no violence."

In that instance Nick was referring to red shirts as "protesters". It may suit you to claim that was not violence, or that is was completely dissociated from subsequent actions, or that Ko Tee and his thugs were unarmed protectors of democracy, but others will know that is a crock.

I am not sure jesimps was referring to which side was called "protesters" or not by Nick (he also called the others the "PDRC protesters").

So both sides were protesting at that time. OK. However I would tend to think that protesting to allow people to cast their vote is not the same as blocking elections in order to prevent citizen from voting