Cheapcharlies - myth or real?

Rob8891

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure who is worse, the massage shop (and the falang backer) who whined about having to give 1 baht change from a 99 baht session, or the punters who handed over 100 baht and waited for change.

I would never have known, but the backer was whining about it elsewhere online. Straight from the horse's mouth, eh?

I was at a bar party. Somebody who nobody knew strolls in, orders a bottle of water with a glass of ice. Helps himself to a mountain of food and melts the ice with a bit of water from the bottle while he's eating.

Goes back for mountainous seconds of the food, drinks the little bit of water, eats the remaining ice, pays the 20B bin (no tip), goes to the toilet and nicks the loo paper (as we discovered later), collects his 3/4 full bottle of water, returns to the food table and grabs a handful of chicken wings/legs and puts them in a plastic bag from his pocket. Gets on his dilapidated scooter and buggers off.

This guy was more than like a Cheeky Charlie.

OK, the water and the food I can live with, but it was me that discovered the loo paper was nicked, and it was when I needed it most!!! blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

I'm definitely cheap.

OK so I'll tip the beer serving girl 100bht if she's cute, attentive and keeps my glass full.

One of these made a 100bht tip from me ..........

post-233622-0-65018700-1457501535_thumb.

But on the other hand, I can't resist buy one, get one free, or 3 large beers for 150bht.

And am totally happy with 30bht coffee shops ....... no need for Starbucks.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

How about this guy. I've spotted him several times lurking around the fruit area of Big C Extra. He has a very shifty manner, but tries to be nonchalant, eyes darting left and right until he judges that no one is watching, and he quickly grabs an orange, rips it apart and stuffs half into his mouth, leaving the rest on top of the large tray. This takes all of about 2 seconds. Then he quickly sidles away while chewing furiously on the food in his mouth, then he mooches back to the fruit for his next attempt. It's hilarious to watch him, though I suspect he knows I'm on to him now. I've also seen him sitting outside Friendship a couple of times. He doesn't look particularly needy, although that's not always easy to tell, but he certainly looks a sly and shifty bugger. I think I can pick his accent, but I'd rather not say where he's from as this will upset someone.

How about this guy. I've spotted him several times lurking around the fruit area of Big C Extra. He has a very shifty manner, but tries to be nonchalant, eyes darting left and right until he judges that no one is watching, and he quickly grabs an orange, rips it apart and stuffs half into his mouth, leaving the rest on top of the large tray. This takes all of about 2 seconds. Then he quickly sidles away while chewing furiously on the food in his mouth, then he mooches back to the fruit for his next attempt. It's hilarious to watch him, though I suspect he knows I'm on to him now. I've also seen him sitting outside Friendship a couple of times. He doesn't look particularly needy, although that's not always easy to tell, but he certainly looks a sly and shifty bugger. I think I can pick his accent, but I'd rather not say where he's from as this will upset someone.

One good reason for picking up a superzoom lens

I'm definitely cheap.

OK so I'll tip the beer serving girl 100bht if she's cute, attentive and keeps my glass full.

attachicon.gifoxide.jpg

But on the other hand, I can't resist buy one, get one free, or 3 large beers for 150bht.

Bet it was the one in the Nurses outfit

regards Worgeordie

Never been called a cheap Charlie until recently. Was in a restaurant in Hua Hin and ordered 2 small bottles of Heineken and a bottle of water and numerous foods. The bill came and the water a small nestle was priced 60 baht. When I questioned it the very rude waitress called me a cheap Charlie. I made the mistake of trying to explain that the 7 11 5 metres away it was 7 baht. The beer was not 90% more than in the shop. Cheap Charlie was the name given again. Obviously the Mrs and I will not be going there again.

I wouldn't even call myself frugal. but the water being overly priced in a crappy street bar and restaurant does not warrant the term. I have been called 'ki nok' from one shop owner, as I only bought ice. He said why not buy his whisky. I declined and explained 100 Pipers was not whisky and that I wouldn't give it to my worse enemy.

I shop elsewhere for my ice now.smile.png

I'm definitely cheap.

attachicon.gifoxide.jpg

regards Worgeordie

I bet on the one on the right, she looks naughty :)

I was at a bar party. Somebody who nobody knew strolls in, orders a bottle of water with a glass of ice. Helps himself to a mountain of food and melts the ice with a bit of water from the bottle while he's eating.

Goes back for mountainous seconds of the food, drinks the little bit of water, eats the remaining ice, pays the 20B bin (no tip), goes to the toilet and nicks the loo paper (as we discovered later), collects his 3/4 full bottle of water, returns to the food table and grabs a handful of chicken wings/legs and puts them in a plastic bag from his pocket. Gets on his dilapidated scooter and buggers off.

OK, the water and the food I can live with, but it was me that discovered the loo paper was nicked, and it was when I needed it most!!! blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

No bumgun then?sad.pngsad.png

but I'd rather not say where he's from as this will upset someone.

I would not worry too much about that, I don't think there's many, if any, Indian members of Thaivisa.

Never been called a cheap Charlie until recently. Was in a restaurant in Hua Hin and ordered 2 small bottles of Heineken and a bottle of water and numerous foods. The bill came and the water a small nestle was priced 60 baht. When I questioned it the very rude waitress called me a cheap Charlie. I made the mistake of trying to explain that the 7 11 5 metres away it was 7 baht. The beer was not 90% more than in the shop. Cheap Charlie was the name given again. Obviously the Mrs and I will not be going there again.

I wouldn't even call myself frugal. but the water being overly priced in a crappy street bar and restaurant does not warrant the term. I have been called 'ki nok' from one shop owner, as I only bought ice. He said why not buy his whisky. I declined and explained 100 Pipers was not whisky and that I wouldn't give it to my worse enemy.

I shop elsewhere for my ice now.smile.png

In the bar,

Ask for ice in a separate glass ...... wait for it to melt ........ free!

The Cheap BstrdCharle to me is the the guy who after a night out and the bill arrives throws down 817 b.......saying But I didnt have any of the mashed freaking potatos and in Thailand your not supposed to tip.

I'm definitely cheap.

attachicon.gifoxide.jpg

I also would have given the lad in the background 100baht if he kept my glass full.

I once saw someone pay a 1195 baht bar bill with 1200 and told the staff they were lucky to get th4 5 baht change as a tip.

Cheap Charlies don't run up 1195 bht bar bills

Edited by Mavrix

but I'd rather not say where he's from as this will upset someone.

I would not worry too much about that, I don't think there's many, if any, Indian members of Thaivisa.

The country is certainly overwhelmed by Indians ... but I'm not referring to India ... guv. :)

The person who started one (of the many such found on TV) threads proclaiming a SCAM because when he paid his utility bills at 7/Eleven they always rounded it up to the nearest 25 satang.

And most of the people who whine incessantly about dual pricing in Thailand, not because of the money of course but (supposedly) because of the principle ... i.e. a perceived loss of face. Apparently giving Thai people, the majority of whom are considerably poorer than Khun Farang, a discount is abhorrent to them. Crumbs from the table and all that.

And those who know virtually nothing about Thai culture, but are certain that in Thailand you should never tip because it's a major cultural thing and whenever they are handed the tab they feel a sudden cultural oneness with all Thais.

Edited by Suradit69

No bumgun then?sad.pngsad.png

Well yeah there was a bum gun which I used, but I'm not a huge fan of drip drying - it keeps one away from ones beer too long. coffee1.gif

I'm definitely cheap.

attachicon.gifoxide.jpg

regards Worgeordie

No the nurse was needed for his recovery after paying the B 100 tip. 555

I once asked a market vendor if there was a trick for getting mealy bugs out of a bag of roasted rice flour I had purchased the month before for 10 baht.

"For the love of God, just throw it out and buy some more!" was the answer. Have to admit I was pretty embarrassed.

Edited by Gecko123

I once saw someone pay a 1195 baht bar bill with 1200 and told the staff they were lucky to get th4 5 baht change as a tip.

Cheap Charlies don't run up 1195 bht bar bills

No they don't. A typical cheap Charlie will nurse a bottle of beer as long as possible with as much free ice as he can mooch without having to buy a bucket.

I've seen some cases of cheapness from well off expats that would shame a student backpacker on a very tight budget.

Ohh..When I look at the mirror I can see a typical CheapCharlie...

I have a CheapCharlie budget in mind for everything....

Even a budget for a date. I never went over 200THB on a date when single. Now..never over 400THB when "dating" with my wife of the last 4 years.

In one of my last first dates when I was single, on a coffee shop in Chiang Mai, I order a cappuccino, and the lady..who already I was not so much interested, order the most expensive drink and food on the menu. After getting the order, she started asking about my financial situation and what I can do for her. I responded that she did a mistake not asking that before ordering, and I put a 50THB note under my coffee before telling her Good Bye. In contrast, I do not like when another Cheap Charlie have a date on my restaurant. Ohh well...Nobody is perfect.