Mosquitos around rice fields

Pebbles33

Just looking to rent and have found a couple of nice houses that are located a short distance from rice fields. Does anyone have experience living near them and if so, is there a noticeable difference in number of mosquitos around? The houses are Thai style with lots of outdoor space and we are falang so mosquitos seem to like us more unfortunately. We're worried about being terrorized by the pesky bastards during rainy season which I know is inevitable but are we making it worse by living next to all that water? The fields do make for nice views and a peaceful atmosphere which we love. Also, what's the best mosquito repellent to keep around the house? Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

I live in suburban Chiang Mai with rice fields right outside my garden wall. Mosquitoes are present, but not a big problem. Frankly, they were much worse in Wisconsin in June. I wouldn't let nearby rice fields keep me from living in a place. You'll enjoy the quiet, except during harvest season.

Sometimes I light a coil and leave it burning all day, but that's to scare off the gnats more than mosquitoes.

As posters have pointed out, you will not have any increased problems from mossies near rice fields, we live near hundreds of rai of rice and mosquitos are only problematic the closer I get to our local village. As MEsmith pointed out you will likely get more visits from snakes, and I might add RATS! (Rat urine can be a big problem, however we have been OK as the nearest land around us is all made up of Lam Yai.but rat urine can cause diseases that can be fatal - but if the Chinese rat snakes do their job you should be OK)

In the watered rice fields are also small fishes, that later may become pla ra. They take care of the mosquitoes. There is no increased risk or inconvenience. Most breed elsewhere in some standing water pots. In CNX they don't seem to spray like in BKK, which makes the life of these little beasts easier...

Musqito is not the problem

use products with DEEET or compatible

the last longing once,

then you nearly have no problem

Clambou (Sleeping net) with impregnated with DEET

and the special yellow light bulbs not to attract them

then there is other stuff other stuff if there is need to stay outside.

to be hones most Mosquito are only between 1700 Hrs and 1830 hrs active in the most areas.

but you have to be aware of the other once insects too during the day.

using DEET lotion or equal long lasting you will have a good time

We live in the middle of rice fields as well and hardly any mosquito's fish take care for that sometimes a few snakehead fishes come out of the fields and crawl through the yard to get to our fishpond they sometimes make it unless spotted by my wife, the rats and mouses are taken care for by our cats and they love to eat them almost whole.

Life outside in rural Chiang mai is great !........

Musqito is not the problem

use products with DEEET or compatible

the last longing once,

then you nearly have no problem

Clambou (Sleeping net) with impregnated with DEET

and the special yellow light bulbs not to attract them

then there is other stuff other stuff if there is need to stay outside.

to be hones most Mosquito are only between 1700 Hrs and 1830 hrs active in the most areas.

but you have to be aware of the other once insects too during the day.

using DEET lotion or equal long lasting you will have a good time

I think you are a bit of the mark with your times about mosquito bites

most bites which causes dengue fever are inflicted at day time

Yes DEET is a good choice I applied DEET 85 per cent the

strongest one I could find and I still got bitten

Have rice fields on 3 sides of our house and don't have any problems with mosquito's, in fact the bedroom french doors are left open all night without any mosquito screens.

Be sure to close your windows when they're spraying all the pesticides....

We have paddy fields immediately to the front and one side of our house. As others have already stated that does not mean we have many mozzies, indeed we have far fewer than in-laws further away from the rice than us. I avoid being bitten mainly by not going outside after dusk unless well covered. A couple of people mentioned snakes, centipedes and millipedes were quite common here as well, until my brother in law started spraying to kill off those and the snakes. Now we are not bothered by anything at all, the only unwelcome visitors are storks and herons that have their beady eyes on our fishpond but they are easily kept at bay, usually by my MIL banging a drum.

Oh, and keep well clear of any rice fields displaying red lights at night, they lay live wires as a way of killing rats.

Edited by Blue Muton

We have paddy fields immediately to the front and one side of our house. As others have already stated that does not mean we have many mozzies, indeed we have far fewer than in-laws further away from the rice than us. I avoid being bitten mainly by not going outside after dusk unless well covered. A couple of people mentioned snakes, centipedes and millipedes were quite common here as well, until my brother in law started spraying to kill off those and the snakes. Now we are not bothered by anything at all, the only unwelcome visitors are storks and herons that have their beady eyes on our fishpond but they are easily kept at bay, usually by my MIL banging a drum.

So much for living out in nature facepalm.gif

I live in suburban Chiang Mai with rice fields right outside my garden wall. Mosquitoes are present, but not a big problem. Frankly, they were much worse in Wisconsin in June. I wouldn't let nearby rice fields keep me from living in a place. You'll enjoy the quiet, except during harvest season.

Sometimes I light a coil and leave it burning all day, but that's to scare off the gnats more than mosquitoes.

One good thing about Wisconsin mosquitoes. They are not lousy with multiple strains of dengue virus, elephantiasis, malaria, yellow fever, chikungunya, and zika.

Edited by arunsakda

+1 in that there's not an increased problem with mossies around rice fields, I have them right outside my door, literally. BUT +1 also regarding snakes, it's not a huge problem but you need to remain alert.

Mozzie eating frogs are also common to rice fields. As to best mosquito killer, only one works: those big ones with a propane tank which will clear 0.5-1 acre or so. Pricey, though! And absolutely worth it, even in BKK!

The previous house we lived in near Hang Dong for several years had a large rice field right behind us and the mosquitoes were not much of a problem. But during rainy season hundreds of frogs came out to sing. biggrin.png

That's reassuring to hear mosquitos aren't a huge problem. However, rats and snakes didn't even cross my mind. One of the houses we really like is located on a rambutan orchard perched up on the hill and overlooking the rice fields at the bottom. This makes me think there will be rats which means snakes as well.. I suppose I should ask the owner what they do about this. The house's communal areas (kitchen, dining, living) are partially outside and we have a baby so I'm trying to take all the precautions. Such a beautiful setting though...

Just been told that king cobras like the lurk around rice fields. Anyone ever see one? What do you think about living on an orchard with regards to rats and snakes?

We get plenty of cobras & the odd banded krait in our garden. Our dogs leave their dead bodies for us to identify.

Just been told that king cobras like the lurk around rice fields. Anyone ever see one? What do you think about living on an orchard with regards to rats and snakes?

We get plenty of cobras & the odd banded krait in our garden. Our dogs leave their dead bodies for us to identify.

Just hope your dogs know their limitations as they get older.

Just hope your dogs know their limitations as they get older.

I'll pass your concern on to them...

When I lived in the UK, any holiday destination would involve mosquitoes trying to feast on me.

Been here 2 years and they don't bother me as much now.

Can strongly recommend the Boots own brand DEET products and have used the 7-11 repellent successfully as well.

The 7-11 repellent is only a small bottle and they do a 'natural' repellent that looks similar. Look on the back of the bottle and it's all Thai writing, but you will see 'DEET' on there.

Eating raw garlic every day helped when I first came here, but may not be to everyone's taste, especially those around you.