Best interim visa option - going from teacher to student

Hi

I am hoping some “experts” can help out an “oldie” (opposite of a newbie, not too sure what correct lingo is…. ).

I’ve been living in Thailand for 15 years and want to know the best “visa” to get based on my personal circumstances.

I spent my first 6 years on a Non Immigrant B working for a multinational company in Bangkok.

Then I took early retirement and stayed in Thailand as I was married to a Thai girl – so I think the technical term is not a visa but an extension of stay. I had to show 400k, marriage cert etc and got a years “extension of stay” with 90 days check in.

Last year, I went back to work as an English teacher so got a new Non Immigrant B visa and work permit.

Also, last year my divorce was finalized. Yes, it has been an eventful year.

But I’ve decided that I do NOT want to continue teaching (really tough job for very poor pay and I don’t want to bang my head against a wall for another year) but I DO want to stay in Thailand.

I plan to study Thai full time in CMU from next November (and get a student visa).

But I am not sure what the best option for me is between 1st May and 31st October.

I am 45 years old.

I’m from Ireland.

I am thinking the following options are relevant to me:

1. Leave Thailand every 30 days and just get a VOA (visa on arrival).
  2. Get a 2 month tourist visa in neighbouring country (Laos) and extend it in Thailand by 1 month, thereby getting a 3 month stay. Repeat as required.
  1. Fly home and try to get a 1 year visa – but not sure what type of visa this should be?
  2. Any other better ideas?

I know that when I’m over 50 things become easier with retirement visa (but I’ve no intention of marrying a Thai girl again!!!).

Any help or advice would be appreciated – thanks.

1. You will not get a VOA since you are from Ireland. You qualify for a visa exempt entry that allows a 30 day entry by air or 15 days by land. You can apply for a 30 day extension of that entry at immigration office.

2. Best option.

1. I cannot think of any one year visa you could get.

2. I would suggest a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) but I doubt you would be able to get one in Ireland where you would have to apply for it.

You might not need the entire six months before you are able to apply for single entry non-ed visa. You should be able to get one before classes start with paperwork from CMU. Perhaps one tourist visa with a 30 day extension and then a visa exempt entry with a 30 day extension.

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.

So it looks like the tourist visas are my best bet for now.....

So am I right in saying that I could apply for a 2 month tourist visa in Laos and then get this extended by 1 month at immigration office in Thailand?

Is there such a thing as an Education Visa for short term? i.e. if I was to enroll in a Thai class for a few months in Bangkok before I headed to CM for the year?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.

So it looks like the tourist visas are my best bet for now.....

So am I right in saying that I could apply for a 2 month tourist visa in Laos and then get this extended by 1 month at immigration office in Thailand?

Is there such a thing as an Education Visa for short term? i.e. if I was to enroll in a Thai class for a few months in Bangkok before I headed to CM for the year?

Thanks in advance.

You can get a 30 day extension of a 60 day entry from a tourist visa.

If you enrolled in a school you could get a single entry non-ed visa and possibley a 90 day extension of the entry from it if your course of study meets the requirements. For language studies you need 200 hours to get a total stay of 6 months.

UbonJoe

Great - thanks. That's really helpful. Much appreciated.

I will go to Laos and apply for a 2 month tourist visa.....

Any recommendations on where is best to go to? Savannakhet or Vientiane?

Ger

Applying for the visa is about the same at both locations.

Vientiane is easier to travel to than Savannakhet for most people.