I don't want Windows 10!

bino

Does anyone know of a sure-fire way to permanently stop the pop-ups and eliminate the icon in the system tray?

One of the software packages that I depend on is not compatible with Windows 10 on my desktop computer, and my laptop is not capable. I did try to run the Win 10 installer, and it told me that the graphics capabilities of the computer were insufficient.

As such, I just want to maintain the status quo with Win 8.1, and get rid of the annoying and pervasive free update notifications.

I searched online and found some solutions such as deleting the Windows update responsible for the Win 10 notifications, a registry edit, and some others, but none seem to work. The notifications just keep coming back.

So... if anyone else has found a good way to stop this , I'd be happy to know about it.

I also have a computer which is not compatible with Win 10 due to its video card...I have the Win 10 icon in the tray and every once in a while there may be popup talking Win 10 but not very often at all....in fact it been months since seeing a popup although the nagware icon is still in the tray. Based on what I've read about the different methods/utilities to possibly get rid of the icon permanently and delete the Win 10 files already on your drive in case the upgrade could have occurred, it seems Microsoft seems to find a way through another new update around those different method/utilities. I figure Win 10 files are eating several gigabytes of drive storage right now...Win 10 files that will never be installed...but I have plenty of drive storage space. I also figure once the free upgrade period to Win 10 ends 29 Jul 16 that Microsoft will provide some update that will allow uninstall of dormant Win 10 upgrade files and the nagware icon.

One of the software packages that I depend on is not compatible with Windows 10 on my desktop computer, and my laptop is not capable. I did try to run the Win 10 installer, and it told me that the graphics capabilities of the computer were insufficient.

Yes, I switched to 10 and all was fine until it decided to install a new driver, I think something to do with the network adapter and things went quickly south. I had (or at least I thought I had) opted out of automatic updates for anything other than the OS.

Managed to recover from that and all was well again until it took it upon itself to install something else. Memory management announced it would check on the problem and attempt to fix it. It couldn't, quickly followed by the death rattle.

Now back in Windows 7 and all seems hunky dory. I did like Windows 10, but my two year old desktop was less enthused.

Edited by Suradit69

Have you tried GWX Control Panel? That's what I'm using to stop that annoyance...

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

This was a winner. It worked perfectly! Thanks!

figure Win 10 files are eating several gigabytes of drive storage right now...Win 10 files that will never be installed...but I have plenty of drive storage space.

The program above has several steps, and one of them finds and deletes these files. I use an SSD for my operating system and program files, and keep my storage on a conventional disk. After running the program above, I recovered about 3 gigs on my SSD. A very welcome bonus!

Windows 10 crashed by Del laptop, Inspiron and I lost all of my data. I had to take it to a pro to bring it all back. He said most of his customers have similiar problems. Not all lose all data, but it's a nightmare. To our knowledge you just have to live with all the pop ups. I'm beginning to hate Microsoft!

By an Apple or Mac MIni. End of problems.

I hate Apple fanboys. I was looking for a free / cheap solution to fix my existing computer, not a 40,000 THB one.

I paid less than 20k baht for a Mac Mini, and another 2,000 for a huge monitor. I've had it for just over a year now, and not once have I had a virus or malware "infection". Not once have I had a freeze up where nothing works. Not once have I had any of the numerous and prolific problems I had with over 20 years of Windows. There are no weekly "upgrades" to install. No "patch" needed. The only problem I have had is that some programs, such as Ares p2p, aren't configured for an Apple/Mac, but those are things that are minor. I'll take my Mac MIni over anything Windows.

Windows 10 crashed by Del laptop, Inspiron and I lost all of my data. I had to take it to a pro to bring it all back. He said most of his customers have similiar problems. Not all lose all data, but it's a nightmare. To our knowledge you just have to live with all the pop ups. I'm beginning to hate Microsoft!

there is an alternative! and i am not talking about mac's. it is free, works well on almost all hardware, offers everything that the average computer user needs, uses a fraction of your data allowance AND works!!!

it is called 'LINUX', and it is so much better. check it out and try it.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

I have nothing against Apple computers. They are good machines. When I was a student in Canada, all of the schools and unis were equipped with Apple. I had one as my first computer, and had them at home until business dictated a change to the PC platform. What I hate is the kind of people who inject themselves in to conversations and evangelize them. To each their own.

This thread was specifically related to PC / Windows 10, nothing about Apple.

If a mod sees this, my question has been asked and answered, the useful information is here already. As the OP I request that this topic be closed before it descends into yet another Apple / PC slingfest.

Edited by bino