Help with difficult translation

chang14

Due diligence is a buzzword meaning to take care to verify the facts, so there isn't much point in expecting a translation to be 'jargon' with the same connotations as it has in English.

What do you want to check and what things do you want to do?

How does it effect the owner of the property?

The translation of due diligence is ความระมัดระวังตามสมควร but if you said that it would mean "taking appropriate care" and you don't "do" that to a property. Actually I am not sure that it isn't "exercise due diligence regarding this transaction".

I have Googled this word and got "due to diligence' but in Thai. And the diligence referred to is careful and consistent application of effort.

I agree with Geezer that "due diligence" has no true Thai translation that incorporates the legal inference in English. Just keep it simple, especially if the older man is not a native Central Thai speaker, and use the common phrase ตรวจละเอียด, or ตรวจดูละเอียด if you want to emphasize a visual inspection, followed by a short list of some of the things you need to look into.

Ok my partner and I have found a block of land for sale, but in order for us to purchase I want to do my due diligence first. What is the best way to ask?

'I would like to do a check on your land for flood affected, size, contour, land office building approval etc'

I would make my concerns known to my partner, presumably a Thai, and have them deal with it. You will get better information on one of the other forums. Buying land is a minefield for a farang but I know something; since it is not allowed, semi-legal arrangements are required, Thai language doesn't help.

My Thai partner and I are acting as a broker to get the best price for the vendor using some strategies from my country of origin.

My partner is dealing with all communications with the vendor. How ever we just need to cross check the land value with his asking price.