Thai woman claims she was hit by car belonging to British Embassy

snoop1130

Thai woman claims she was hit by car belonging to British Embassy
By Coconuts Bangkok

embassy_car_screenshot.jpg

A Thai woman claimed she was hit by a car driven by a woman working at the British Embassy in Bangkok on March 1. Screenshot: Hot Facebook Clip

BANGKOK -- A Thai woman has demanded justice after she was hit by a car driven by a woman working at the British Embassy in Bangkok and was left by the driver to pay the THB130,000 cost of her hospital treatment.

The 27-year-old woman, who asked for her name to be withheld, yesterday published an open letter on the popular Pantip forum and the Facebook page "Hot Facebook Clip," addressed to the British authorities, including the Ambassador to Thailand.

In the letter she claimed a Volkswagen car belonging to the British embassy hit her on the morning of March 1 on Sukhumvit Road.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/03/11/thai-woman-claims-she-was-hit-car-belonging-british-embassy-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-03-11

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

130,000 Baht hospital treatment.

A bit pricey for a Thai motorcyclist me thinks. Maybe that's why she doesn't want to be named.

My girlfriend hit a motorcyclist who was hospitalised for 3 days with broken legs, cost 50,000 Baht.

Edit: After reading the full report, I take back my comment. I didn't realise she was hurt so badly.

Edited by petedk

After an accident is reported and insurance notified,is it not then the insurance companies job to settle. Is that not the way it is done the world over.The woman should be talking to her insurance company to see how things are going.Unless she had no insurance and the embassies employees company has no company to deal with..

Bet there'll be no comment from the high and mighty in the embassy.

The British Embassy says it is in the hands of the insurers and rightly so. Like myself, they don't susbcribe to this pathetic song sahn, krien jai rubbish either.

130,000 Baht hospital treatment.

A bit pricey for a Thai motorcyclist me thinks. Maybe that's why she doesn't want to be named.

My girlfriend hit a motorcyclist who was hospitalised for 3 days with broken legs, cost 50,000 Baht.

Edit: After reading the full report, I take back my comment. I didn't realise she was hurt so badly.

A bit pricey me thinks? My leg operation at a government hospital was 95 K. And guess what? I was still on crutches after 6 months.

Do you really think broken bones heal withing 3 days?

You should have taken back your whole post, me thinks. Sorry, but it sounds so Anti Thai that it already hurts.

Well reading it at watching the clip, I would say that the motorcyclist is not blame free either, the VW is across the road for a good while before the collision showing that instead of slowing down to allow it to complete it's move, tried to overtake, which the driver was probably not expecting.

Taking a neutral view the driver is correct not to visit and not to accept responsibility/liability and let the insurance company sort it out, and has probably been advised the same by the embassy's lawyers.

Really there is no story here, other than the rider trying to force the issue via social media, or wouldn't even be published if it wasn't an employee of the embassy.

That said, it doesn't mean I don't feel sorry for her injuries or the situation she is in, but it certainly isn't as clear cut a case as is made out to be.

A 200B helmet, shorts and flips flops. The normal Thai safety standards here. Because the car belonged to an Embassy, she is DEMANDING hmmmmm...

So if the car belonged to McDonalds she would want a life time supply of Big Macs? Maybe if it belonged to A dildo factory, then.........

Yes I feel sorry for her, but insurance sorts that's out. Or maybe not as she might not have any.........

Well reading it at watching the clip, I would say that the motorcyclist is not blame free either, the VW is across the road for a good while before the collision showing that instead of slowing down to allow it to complete it's move, tried to overtake, which the driver was probably not expecting.

Taking a neutral view the driver is correct not to visit and not to accept responsibility/liability and let the insurance company sort it out, and has probably been advised the same by the embassy's lawyers.

Really there is no story here, other than the rider trying to force the issue via social media, or wouldn't even be published if it wasn't an employee of the embassy.

That said, it doesn't mean I don't feel sorry for her injuries or the situation she is in, but it certainly isn't as clear cut a case as is made out to be.

Maybe the insurance company is not giving her as much compensation for lost days as she wants. Its easier to get that from a private person. When my ex had an accident the insurance paid the cost of the damage but not compensation for lost work of the taxi that hit us. The ex paid for that (ex hit a pilar and as a result we crashed but a taxi hit us in the back after that).

She probably wants more as just her damage and hospital cost (and with good reason) the insurance might not want to give the amount she wants and she prefers to talk with the employee of the embassy.

Maybe the insurance company is not giving her as much compensation for lost days as she wants. Its easier to get that from a private person. When my ex had an accident the insurance paid the cost of the damage but not compensation for lost work of the taxi that hit us. The ex paid for that (ex hit a pilar and as a result we crashed but a taxi hit us in the back after that).

She probably wants more as just her damage and hospital cost (and with good reason) the insurance might not want to give the amount she wants and she prefers to talk with the employee of the embassy.

Even if she were successful to talk to the embassy employee, I doubt it would result in anything more than a "I'm sorry you crashed in to my car and was injured, let the insurance company sort out any compensation/damages to be paid"

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

Bet there'll be no comment from the high and mighty in the embassy.

From the linked article:

:A British Embassy Spokesman told Coconuts: “A member of the British Embassy Bangkok was involved in a traffic incident on March 1. Their insurance company attended the incident and the police were informed.

“This matter is now with the insurance company.”

And that's how it's done in the world where contacts and connections don't get you special treatment or bigger or smaller settlements. There is absolutely nothing more the other driver could have done that couldn't/wouldn't be used against her at a later date.

Edited by impulse

Motorcyclist was 100% at fault, the car driver edged out slowly, and waited to join the flow of traffic, the bike drove into the car.

An easily avoided accident on the part of the motorcyclist, the rider simply had to look ahead and slow down WHEN YOU SEE A CAR BLOCKING YOUR LANE!

It looks like proper procedures were followed by getting the insurance companies involved.

I do wonder if it had been a taxi that had been involved, instead of the embassy employee, whether there would be any follow up?

A British Embassy Spokesman told Coconuts:

“A member of the British Embassy Bangkok was involved in a traffic incident on March 1.

Their insurance company attended the incident and the police were informed.

“This matter is now with the insurance company.”

In other words humanely speaking we don't give a damn a person with little financial means suffered a fractured skull, shattered ankle and knee, and broken leg.coffee1.gif

Having watched the video it is obvious that the motorcyclist was at fault. The British Embassy car stopped and waited for an opportunity to turn right which it did, but a white car refuses to stop overtaking on the car on the wrong side of the road. Moments later the motorcyclist playing follow my leader also over takes on the wrong side of the road clipping the front of the car which was stationary. The car did not suddenly pull out into the road and hit her. This is just another example of the local drivers refusing to give way especially motorcyclists, just try crossing the road on a pedestrian crossing. I hope she was insured but not likely if she was living hand to mouth as stated.

Lucky the car driver was not a dragon-haired khunying........., or the victim would have had a defamation suit and a charge under the computer crimes act on top of a hospital bill.....

Edited by eddie61

130,000 Baht for motorbike injury? I'd sure like to know how serious her injuries were before I pass judgement.

Read the link in the opening article.

She then lost consciousness and was sent to hospital by witnesses in the area. She suffered a fractured skull, shattered ankle and knee, and broken leg.

I can believe it. There is a culture at the British Embassy in Thailand that denies responsibility for anything. It's procedures are illegal, it asked the British journalist being sued for defamation (for exposing human trafficking) to sign a form of indemnity before it would even consider offering help. The Consul, Ms Joanna Roper, is a liar (there, I've made myself open to a defamation suit) and the entire embassy is a waste of time and money.

Makes you proud to be British.