Crash on bypass road leaves Phuket taxi driver dead, three tourists injured

rooster59

Further, how do these cars / taxis / deathtraps ever pass any form of taxi inspection?

Taxis do have some limited annual inspection at the DVLC. Not so sure deathtrap should be placed on the vehicle, it's more about crazy fast drivers perhaps under the influence of some substance.

“Our initial investigations have revealed that the taxi driver tried to overtake a vehicle on the inside lane and crashed into the rear of a slow-moving crane,” said Lt Col Sakchai Chunyong of the Phuket City Police.

- See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Taxi-passengers-recovering-fatal-crash-Phuket-bypass/63420?desktopversion#ad-image-0

Well ... I certainly the passengers don't get fined for overstaying their visa if they have been hospitalized.

I heard of that happening before. One would think Immigration would have provisions for extraordinary circumstances.

They do, if you cant go yourself you have to send someone inform the immigration of the circumstances. That is what happened in Chiang Mai to a friend of mine who was suffering badly from dengue fever in hospital, he was unconscious for a week and as a result had overstayed by five days. He produced a letter from the hospital explaining the situation but the immigration refused this as an excuse saying he should have sent someone to inform them,the fact that he was seriously ill and unconscious and that an extension of stay was the last thing on his mind made no impression on them.

Our initial investigations have revealed that the taxi driver tried to overtake a vehicle on the inside lane and crashed into the rear of a slow-moving crane, said Lt Col Sakchai Chunyong of the Phuket City Police.

- See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Taxi-passengers-recovering-fatal-crash-Phuket-bypass/63420?desktopversion#ad-image-0

No surprise there .... see it all the time on the roads ...

Seat belt situation won't change because there is no way of enforcing it. I clearly remember growing up Australia as a kid that nobody wore seat belts and slowly over the years severe fines were being handed out and even then most were reluctant.

Won't be change here for another 20 years

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Yes. I just rode a bus from BKK to Pattaya and back this week. On the outbound, there were lap belts only and I did manage to untangle it and buckle it, although it didn't seem to stay cinched up very well. On the return, the newer bus had shoulder/lap belts that worked well. I had a look around on both trips and didn't see anyone besides me using the belts. In fact I got some rather strange looks from those seated near me when I buckled up! They either just do not understand the concept or don't care, believing entirely in fate.

It does make me wonder with all the fatalities in the regular bus crashes here, how many would be saved if the had a seat belt available, and used it!