Looking for familly car

Zendo

Yes.. the Navara is nice, but I test drive it and I think it doesn't behave the same as a Ford Ranger.. I got the boat feeling so much.. hard to describe but It's not as good driving as the ford ranger, and I also dislike very much the automatic gear from the navara.

Also I was disappointed so much when I look at the rear suspensions... the Thai version doesn't include the new comfortable suspension, they stick on the old school truck suspension for Thai Market.. such a shame !

The Cruise control also was not like I expected : no dedicated screen for setting the speed clearly, but anyway it's not available on any brand here.

=> for the Ranger XLT and Wildtrack.. i don't see much difference between those 2 models...Except the color orange available only for wildtrack and a 8" screen...maybe also more airbags on wildtrack ?

but because of technicals details on their website are on thai.. i might being missing something.

Mine has a screen showing exact speed and adjustable 1km increments with the toggle on the wheel... It got loads of options for the centre colour screen display.

I don't get that at all with the ride? I think it rides well and really well damped. I tried the ranger and found it firm for thai roads. The interior is also well below the standard for a 1 million plus vehicle.

Mine came with kenwood media, colour reverse camera, reversing sensors... 200 plus cheaper than the Ford.

Up to you as they say...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes.. the Navara is nice, but I test drive it and I think it doesn't behave the same as a Ford Ranger.. I got the boat feeling so much.. hard to describe but It's not as good driving as the ford ranger, and I also dislike very much the automatic gear from the navara.

Also I was disappointed so much when I look at the rear suspensions... the Thai version doesn't include the new comfortable suspension, they stick on the old school truck suspension for Thai Market.. such a shame !

The Cruise control also was not like I expected : no dedicated screen for setting the speed clearly, but anyway it's not available on any brand here.

=> for the Ranger XLT and Wildtrack.. i don't see much difference between those 2 models...Except the color orange available only for wildtrack and a 8" screen...maybe also more airbags on wildtrack ?

but because of technicals details on their website are on thai.. i might being missing something.

Mine has a screen showing exact speed and adjustable 1km increments with the toggle on the wheel... It got loads of options for the centre colour screen display.

I don't get that at all with the ride? I think it rides well and really well damped. I tried the ranger and found it firm for thai roads. The interior is also well below the standard for a 1 million plus vehicle.

Mine came with kenwood media, colour reverse camera, reversing sensors... 200 plus cheaper than the Ford.

Up to you as they say...

And 2 whole airbags!

At least they do a nice brown one. Pretty handy with Asia's dusty air.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

What's the fixation with airbags? I've heard thai people seem to associate more bags with posh? Is that it? Navara as 5 star safety rating if that's what your getting at? You can also choose your own colour too.. Admittedly it cost me 4k for pearl white though....

The main problem with the Navara was the boaty feeling when turning.. but now I remember also that the cruise control was not available with manual transmission, only Ranger provides it from the XLT version and Wildtrack I think.

What's the fixation with airbags? I've heard thai people seem to associate more bags with posh? Is that it? Navara as 5 star safety rating if that's what your getting at? You can also choose your own colour too.. Admittedly it cost me 4k for pearl white though....

you wont survive much without airbags

The reason most farangs buy top models is for the airbags only

DELETED

Edited by seedy
off topic

The main problem with the Navara was the boaty feeling when turning.. but now I remember also that the cruise control was not available with manual transmission, only Ranger provides it from the XLT version and Wildtrack I think.

The sport-tech manual definitely 100% has cruise..... It has a dedicated screen showing kmh and can be adjusted from a steering wheel toggle switch in 1 kmh steps..

I find the sport-tech well damped, I don't get the boaty feeling? We all have different preferences I suppose, I found the wild track over firm in a 'audi sportline' or BMW mtec way? If you now what I mean?

With all the kit on the sport-tech it's the best value if your looking for equipment, maybe it's set up different suspension wise?

The Navara with two airbags has a 5 star safety rating? Two airbags these days is the bare minimum. Times have moved along. Today, I wouldn't buy a car with less than 6. With the number of idiot drivers on the roads these days, you need all you can get. Unless you are Thai - they use amulets tongue.png Many Thais think their safety is a result of luck and not good management.

I believe that euro ncap as moved the goalposts a bit recently. Many older cars previously scoring 5 star wouldn't do now on the new test scales. Nearly every car was 5 star, but many where just adding airbags to patch over engineering weakness.. It's all about autonomous safety kit now, auto braking etc... Love to try that on the sukumvit!!

Note that that is diesel consumption. It won't be as good for the 2.0 petrol. The diesel costs 1.53-1.69M and petrol is 1.22 -1.33M. How much would one need to drive to make up the difference in price between the diesel and petrol?

The CX-5 with 2.0 l petrol engine is also a little bit underpowered, in my option. You unfortunately get the full safety feature only in the top model (AWD Diesel).

Thanks for the info. Given the size of CX-5, I think the fuel consumption is quite good... The newly facelifted CX-5 offers quite some interior upgrades and making it even nicer.

Update from a drive from Hua Hin via Bangkok to Isaan: 622 kilometres, 31.4 l of fuel —> 5 l/100 km, 20 km/l

My experience in driving a 2.0 petrol version CX5 on 95 is about 400km for each full tank. Not sure about 91 and E85.

What kind of petrol is recommended? Because back in my home country, I only have 95 or 97 to choose from. Not so much choices as compared to Thailand.

I made some intensive comparisons with fuel in my Mazda 3. E85 is cheaper, but the fuel consumption is much higher than with Gasohol 95, especially in urban/sub-urban use. My Mazda dealer recommends E85 on for long trips on the motorway.

My figures:

Gasohol 95: 7.0 l/100 km - (24.2 Bath/l) - 1.7 Baht/km

E 85: 8.75 l/100 km - (18.8 Baht/l) - 1.65 Baht/km

So I returned to Gasohol 95.

My experience in driving a 2.0 petrol version CX5 on 95 is about 400km for each full tank. Not sure about 91 and E85.

What kind of petrol is recommended? Because back in my home country, I only have 95 or 97 to choose from. Not so much choices as compared to Thailand.

I made some intensive comparisons with fuel in my Mazda 3. E85 is cheaper, but the fuel consumption is much higher than with Gasohol 95, especially in urban/sub-urban use. My Mazda dealer recommends E85 on for long trips on the motorway.

My figures:

Gasohol 95: 7.0 l/100 km - (24.2 Bath/l) - 1.7 Baht/km

E 85: 8.75 l/100 km - (18.8 Baht/l) - 1.65 Baht/km

So I returned to Gasohol 95.

Wow... Thank you so much for the figures. It seems like not much cost savings using E85.

I also noticed you are big fan to Mazda ... Haha

Wow... Thank you so much for the figures. It seems like not much cost savings using E85.

I also noticed you are big fan to Mazda ... Haha

E85 should make sense on long trips, but I newer test this.

Yes we become Mazda fans... With the new CX-5 we got the 7th Mazda (6 from the same dealer. I came to Mazda because 2008 the Mazda 3 was the only VW Golf style hatchback, which was available/affordable in Thailand.

I also like smaller brands. Meanwhile Mazda made a big jump in case of style/design, quality and technology.

.5b difference with 95 per km but with 91/e20 it will be different

remember that e85 gives you a power boost as well

Myself as long as e85 is 30% cheaper, its better than 91 as the car uses about 23-25% more fuel.

Edited by bearpolar

Isuzu V-Cross first dealer service. Recommended service intervals - 10,000 kilometers or six months. Yesterday I took my V-Cross in for service. Oil and filter. Oil is semi synthetic, whatever that means. There was a long checklist of checking different items. They changed the oil in both differentials, transfer case and transmission. (4X4). They did a nice job washing the truck and cleaning the interior. Total bill was 3,800 baht which included paying 200 baht for a map update for the GPS. The map update will be available in early May. I thought it was a little high but changing oil in all the gear boxes took extra time and oil. I think they did a thorough job but I'm wondering how much the next regular service will cost.

Now I need to play and win the lottery, I feel confident as my neighbours know the lucky numbers well !!

With so much money, I'll be able to get the Ford Ranger Wildtrack and the mazda CX5 (diesel version is minimum when money flows).

But Seriously, it's a real hard choice.. also considering that 1/2/3 years second hand car could also be a good choice.

If the CX5 would have come with manual transmission like in US or EU, my choice would have been easier I think !

Now I need to play and win the lottery, I feel confident as my neighbours know the lucky numbers well !!

With so much money, I'll be able to get the Ford Ranger Wildtrack and the mazda CX5 (diesel version is minimum when money flows).

But Seriously, it's a real hard choice.. also considering that 1/2/3 years second hand car could also be a good choice.

If the CX5 would have come with manual transmission like in US or EU, my choice would have been easier I think !

I wouldn't worry about the gear box. Modern autos are a mile away from those of the past. If you live in Bangkok you would regret driving a manual. Resale on manuals is poor too. The mazda 6 speed auto is a good one. Manuals are just good for open roads in genuine sports cars like the wrx (even that comes with an auto too!). The wildtrak also looks a good choice, but I'd spend a bit more the the smaller and more convenient cx-5.

Thanks for your advice, but i don't live downtown... and I love much more manual gear box, even the mazada auto one is almost OK it's still not the same feeling as manual, question of habits maybe.

In manual you got the best of the engine juice, you can drive smooth, economy style, or go like racing.. it's on your own !

For exemple the manual version of CX5 sucks less than the auto version on both diesel and petrol version and that is a technical information coming from the manufacturer, bear in mind that the CX5 manual transmission is a real nice one , really short like on sports car.

Concerning the convenience of CX5, the thing is YES it's nice and cosy but how to bring back to your home some plants, flowers, trees or a few ciment bags... or at least a huge cooler for picnic !

That's why In a perfect world I would get both !

Thanks for your advice, but i don't live downtown... and I love much more manual gear box, even the mazada auto one is almost OK it's still not the same feeling as manual, question of habits maybe.

In manual you got the best of the engine juice, you can drive smooth, economy style, or go like racing.. it's on your own !

For exemple the manual version of CX5 sucks less than the auto version on both diesel and petrol version and that is a technical information coming from the manufacturer, bear in mind that the CX5 manual transmission is a real nice one , really short like on sports car.

Concerning the convenience of CX5, the thing is YES it's nice and cosy but how to bring back to your home some plants, flowers, trees or a few ciment bags... or at least a huge cooler for picnic !

That's why In a perfect world I would get both !

Coming from an old mini cooper in Australia, I love manuals too. Maybe I'm getting old and just too lazy to shift gears all around Bangkok:) I used to drive a manual honda city here - quite fast actually but was a pain when stuck in traffic. The auto version of it was not much good.

Honda CVT are maybe the worst you can experience for an auto transmission if you are used to real manual gear box.

I recently also discovered that many HONDA airbags were unsecure, even really dangerous : 8 people killed by airbags, pieces of metal being sent in the car. After that they took them back of the market and change their airbags providers.

I would like to know more about airbags statistics and if it's really better to have one or not.. I have a friend that got an accident and airbags bloom after the crash and crushed her jaw and teeth, so it might save life.. but can also injure or even kill.

Also for kids in the back of the car.. i find many recommandation explaining that kids have to be exactly spotted at a certain place in the car.. otherwise sides airbags can harm them a lot.. does anybody have more info on that ?

I had an accident before and 4 out of 7 airbags in the car deployed. I did not had any injuries at all. I think I may suffer bad injuries without the airbag.

Thanks for your report on that, if someone has infos about KIDS+airbags, I'll be glad to ear.

here is the link for Takata problems.. installed in HONDA :

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/20/autos/takata-airbag-victims/

A jagged piece of metal shot through Erdman's airbag and imbedded itself in her right eye, while also fracturing her right nasal bone. At the hearing Thursday she displayed a graphic photograph of herself with a chunk of metal protruding from her right eye.

Here they say that airbags do more bad than good :

http://www.stat.colostate.edu/~meyer/airbags.htm

In a severe accident, airbags can save lives. However, they are inherently dangerous and pose a risk to the occupant. Our analyses show that in lower-speed crashes, the occupant is significantly more likely to die with an airbag than without. This effect is not seen in the analysis using FARS, because this database does not contain information about low-speed crashes without deaths.

Our analysis shows that previous estimates of airbag effectiveness are flawed, because a limited database was used. We have demonstrated this by reproducing their results, using a subsample of the CDS data. The new estimates of effectiveness suggest that airbags are not the lifesaving devices we have believed them to be.

here is the link for Takata problems.. installed in HONDA :

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/20/autos/takata-airbag-victims/

A jagged piece of metal shot through Erdman's airbag and imbedded itself in her right eye, while also fracturing her right nasal bone. At the hearing Thursday she displayed a graphic photograph of herself with a chunk of metal protruding from her right eye.

Here they say that airbags do more bad than good :

http://www.stat.colostate.edu/~meyer/airbags.htm

In a severe accident, airbags can save lives. However, they are inherently dangerous and pose a risk to the occupant. Our analyses show that in lower-speed crashes, the occupant is significantly more likely to die with an airbag than without. This effect is not seen in the analysis using FARS, because this database does not contain information about low-speed crashes without deaths.

Our analysis shows that previous estimates of airbag effectiveness are flawed, because a limited database was used. We have demonstrated this by reproducing their results, using a subsample of the CDS data. The new estimates of effectiveness suggest that airbags are not the lifesaving devices we have believed them to be.

That research is 14-19 years old, which is well before seatbelt pre-tensioners on mainstream cars, let alone seatbelt laws in any US states.

They are officially called SRS (supplementary restraint system) for good reason wink.png

I'm pretty confident you won't find any studies that have the same findings in more modern cars, where the occupants also wore seatbelts (the primary restraint system). But of course, now that I said that you probably will find some thesis paper somewhere tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

thanks IMHO for this post, interresting as I didn't know much about the seatbelt pre-tensioners.

Is that available on cars in Thailand too ?

Also, I dig much about airbags, all tests talks about driver and passenger.. but there is almost no data for back seats side airbags.

What I understand about all this is that if your are small : airbag is more dangerous for you than for tall people.

Anyway for kids the best remains the dedicated seats that are well fixed.. and if possible never put them in front.

I find something talking about sensors checking people position in the car, and if people are too small then the airbags are turned off by the computer.

Wearing glasses is also not good in front of airbags.

It seems common to find reports talking about 15% to 25% increase in safety with seatbelts pre-tensioners + airbags system, but there is not datas for seatbelt.

last thing.. airbags that don't deploy in an accident is a problem for rescue, generaly emergency staff wait minimum 10mn with battery unpluged to be sure that it won't start when trying to take people out of the car so it can't make more injuries and also the gaz used for airbags is not safe, have to take care of that too when rescue want to help.

look its simple. Manual base models are unsafe and top models are safer

Doesnt get more simple

im sure some people manage to kill themselves with safety googles, doesnt mean you shouldnt wear them

Edited by bearpolar

Over 10 years ago published studies have shown that airbags cause death in low speed crashes.

http://phys.org/news/2005-06-airbags-probability-death-accidents.html

the last line - “The evidence shows that airbags do more harm than good.”

Over 10 years ago - not now... Technology has improved quite a bit since 2005.

Edited by juehoe

.5b difference with 95 per km but with 91/e20 it will be different

remember that e85 gives you a power boost as well

Myself as long as e85 is 30% cheaper, its better than 91 as the car uses about 23-25% more fuel.

E20 has also 95 octane. Gasolhol 91 only 91, as shown in the name.

The alcohol in the E85 has a lower energy content than petrol. That is the reason for the lower fuel efficiency compared to Gasohol 95. But I don't found any power difference between Gasohol 95, E20 and E85 on my Mazda 3 and CX-3.