Looking for familly car

Zendo

My friend says he's happy with his new MG

I tried the smallest MG available, like the austin mini or Fiat 500, because Mme thought it was so "naa raak".

Well, to make it fast it's cheap.. but it's still too expensive for what it is.. It feels like driving a toy.. a Kart or something like that !

But I didn't tried others models... plastic looks cheap and reviews on Internet are not really good anyway. It's Chinese car, but not the top-notch one.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course, the Hill Launch Assist is only on the automatics (unless it's a new name for a clutch).

The WT has partial leather seats.

The Wildtrak is also a little softer sprung, so it rides better but has a slightly reduced max payload (too complicated for the Thai or Aussie website to explain).

Yes I understand about the Hill launch assist.. but in EU it is available for manual gear box as well so you think they make a mistake by putting it a the wildtrack manual technical description ? I won't be surprised.

and for the little softer sprung, where did you got that info.. it's not written anywhere .. can you provide a link maybe ?

I knew you were going to ask that! It was from an Aussie launch review about 6 months ago.

Not found it yet, but this is one of my favourite quotes:

"It is quieter than a premium German saloon – quieter than the 3 Series, quieter than the C Class – on coarse tarmac. At 110km/h, on the coarsest blue-chip bitumen surface, the Ranger consistently recorded a dB reading of just 64-66dB."

From http://www.themotorreport.com.au/62094/ford-ranger-review-2016-australian-launch-fords-tough-truck-still-the-benchmark

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

"The biggest changes have been made to the steering (introducing a new electronic power steering system) and suspension (unique tunes for each grade and bodystyle) in a bid to make it feel less like a working vehicle and more like a modern SUV; not surprisingly given it was developed alongside the new Everest seven-seater."

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/2015-ford-ranger-first-drive-review-20150819-gj2k6z.html

Hi... Can i ask how's the fuel consumption for your CX-5 ? Roughly how many KM per full tank ?

The average diesel consumption after 50,000 kilometres is 6.7 l/100 km (14.9 km/l). The tank volume is 58 l, so about 850 kilometres. We newer drive at the end, normally fill-up after about 650 kilometres. The longest trip was 740 kilometres and we had still enough fuel. The fuel gage and the trip computer are quite accurate and you can trust the range values.

The fuel consumption depends on traffic situations and your driving style. We drive the CX-5 around Hua Hin, about 50-100 kilometres a day. About every month there is a trip to Bangkok and 4 times per year a trip to Roi-Et province.

We try to drive «moderate» and «smooth» (fuel economical) and seldom with speeds of more than 120 km/h on the highway. Every SUV or pick-up tends to be a fuel guzzler above 110/120 km/h. The CX-5's engine is very powerful and «seduces» to use its capabilities.

We just got the new CX-5 where you have more detailed information on fuel consumption. I could reach values just above 5 l/100 lm on smooth rides on the main road at a speed of around 85 km/h.

Thanks for the info. Given the size of CX-5, I think the fuel consumption is quite good... The newly facelifted CX-5 offers quite some interior upgrades and making it even nicer.

"The biggest changes have been made to the steering (introducing a new electronic power steering system) and suspension (unique tunes for each grade and bodystyle) in a bid to make it feel less like a working vehicle and more like a modern SUV; not surprisingly given it was developed alongside the new Everest seven-seater."

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/2015-ford-ranger-first-drive-review-20150819-gj2k6z.html

Thank you JaseTheBass for all this infos about the wildtrack ! it sounds really good !

At this point im gonna suggest you add a sidecart to your vios or breakdown the back and attach a cabin and an other pair of wheels behind it

Thank you for this suggestion ! Nice one and it will help in term of cash.. but do you have any genius idea about some DIY airbags ? I might be interrested in it ^^

But anyway I am not sure it will be ok, because my laptop wouldn't fit in it, that's for sure !!!

redneck-1.jpg

Hi... Can i ask how's the fuel consumption for your CX-5 ? Roughly how many KM per full tank ?

The average diesel consumption after 50,000 kilometres is 6.7 l/100 km (14.9 km/l). The tank volume is 58 l, so about 850 kilometres. We newer drive at the end, normally fill-up after about 650 kilometres. The longest trip was 740 kilometres and we had still enough fuel. The fuel gage and the trip computer are quite accurate and you can trust the range values.

The fuel consumption depends on traffic situations and your driving style. We drive the CX-5 around Hua Hin, about 50-100 kilometres a day. About every month there is a trip to Bangkok and 4 times per year a trip to Roi-Et province.

We try to drive «moderate» and «smooth» (fuel economical) and seldom with speeds of more than 120 km/h on the highway. Every SUV or pick-up tends to be a fuel guzzler above 110/120 km/h. The CX-5's engine is very powerful and «seduces» to use its capabilities.

We just got the new CX-5 where you have more detailed information on fuel consumption. I could reach values just above 5 l/100 lm on smooth rides on the main road at a speed of around 85 km/h.

Thanks for the info. Given the size of CX-5, I think the fuel consumption is quite good... The newly facelifted CX-5 offers quite some interior upgrades and making it even nicer.

Note that that is diesel consumption. It won't be as good for the 2.0 petrol. The diesel costs 1.53-1.69M and petrol is 1.22 -1.33M. How much would one need to drive to make up the difference in price between the diesel and petrol?

The guy from Mazda recommend the petrol version for Thailand, in another country it could be different !

because it's like 300.000 thb difference, even more.. so base upon this : 6.7 l/100 km (14.9 km/l) for Diesel (Mazda says 17.5km/l)

- For somebody driving 5000km each month it will cost him around 345 litres of Diesel at 22.3 THB today per litre, so it give us : 7693 THB per month.

for the petrol version mazada give us this : 14.5 km/l with E85 petrol... so let's says 12.34km/l in regard to previous ratio from official / user datas.

- For somebody driving 5000km each month it will cost him around 405 litres of E85 Petrol at 18 THB today per litre, so it give us : 7290 THB per month.

- with E91 at 23.43/l it will cost : 9489 thb

- with E95 at 23.85/l it will cost : 9659 thb

well.. should we go further ?... E85 is cheaper than Diesel here ^^ so.. you'll pay less for buying the car and for using it everyday.. but you'll get less torque ^^

with the E91 the difference is 2200 thb each month for 5000km .. so you need 136 month to get the diesel engine to be cheaper, in minimum 11 years... well well well..

the car will have 660.000km ^^^

Note that that is diesel consumption. It won't be as good for the 2.0 petrol. The diesel costs 1.53-1.69M and petrol is 1.22 -1.33M. How much would one need to drive to make up the difference in price between the diesel and petrol?

That's a valid comparison. I always wanted to get a diesel car as the diesel is cheaper than 95 in Malaysia. Especially when I found out that BMW 320d can easily clock 900km for each full tank (55 litter capacity). But BMW here is much more expensive and that's why I started comparing other diesel car in Thailand.

The guy from Mazda recommend the petrol version for Thailand, in another country it could be different !

because it's like 300.000 thb difference, even more.. so base upon this : 6.7 l/100 km (14.9 km/l) for Diesel (Mazda says 17.5km/l)

- For somebody driving 5000km each month it will cost him around 345 litres of Diesel at 22.3 THB today per litre, so it give us : 7693 THB per month.

for the petrol version mazada give us this : 14.5 km/l with E85 petrol... so let's says 12.34km/l in regard to previous ratio from official / user datas.

- For somebody driving 5000km each month it will cost him around 405 litres of E85 Petrol at 18 THB today per litre, so it give us : 7290 THB per month.

- with E91 at 23.43/l it will cost : 9489 thb

- with E95 at 23.85/l it will cost : 9659 thb

well.. should we go further ?... E85 is cheaper than Diesel here ^^ so.. you'll pay less for buying the car and for using it everyday.. but you'll get less torque ^^

with the E91 the difference is 2200 thb each month for 5000km .. so you need 136 month to get the diesel engine to be cheaper, in minimum 11 years... well well well..

the car will have 660.000km ^^^

My experience in driving a 2.0 petrol version CX5 on 95 is about 400km for each full tank. Not sure about 91 and E85.

What kind of petrol is recommended? Because back in my home country, I only have 95 or 97 to choose from. Not so much choices as compared to Thailand.

If we are talking about cx-5 2.0, I think I'd sway towards the nissan x-trail 2.0 hybrid. 170HP+ and economy should be very good, but don't know the actual figures yet.

Of course diesel (anything) is the best for the torque, but got to pay a premium for it.

Edited by DavisH

Just got back from PT petrol station to check prices :

- Gasoil is 32 thb/l

- E95 is 24.54 thb/l

- E85 is 18 thb/l

so driving a diesel car here is of course FAR more expensive than petrol one.. including that the engine is more pricey to start, even if it sucks less gaz it doesn't beat petrol here in Thailand !

You are right transam,

bearpolar is using deluxe diesel maybe... I didn't read carrefully the thai signs, here is one screenshot of today prices closed by home :

petrol_diesel.jpg

But even with diesel at 23.03 and E95 at 24.54 you'll need to drive more than the car is made for in order to get the price difference from 2 CX5 models.

let's do calculation with mazda infos this time :

5.2l/100km for Diesel version and 6l/100km for petrol version, that means :

Diesel driving 1km cost 1,19756 thb for gaz

Petrol E95 driving 1km cost : 1,4724 thb for gaz

difference between these 2 models is : 0,27484 thb per km, so in order to match the price of the petrol version, the diesel has to run about : 300000 / 0,27484 = 1091544,171154126

1.091.544 km to start to price the same .. that is just to tell that the DIESEL cannot beat the petrol version (in term of price only) in Thailand.. in another country will be a different story.

Diesel works fine for Pickups because there is little to no price premium over the petrol versions, (when a petrol model is available).

The price increase for the diesel versions of cars is mostly too high to justify on fuel saving alone. Diesel cars are fine for buyers prepared to pay the premium for the lower revving character / better performance and any other accessories thrown in with the higher price models.

Direct injection petrol engines are closing the gap in Diesel torque and fuel economy.

Edited by Jitar

You can compare and beat it to death but the fact is that diesel engines are 30 percent more efficient than gasoline engines. As far as E20 versus E85, I researched converting my E20 engine to E85 and it was more economical to continue using E20 simply because of the KPL difference.

You can compare and beat it to death but the fact is that diesel engines are 30 percent more efficient than gasoline engines. As far as E20 versus E85, I researched converting my E20 engine to E85 and it was more economical to continue using E20 simply because of the KPL difference.

30% efficient in term of what.. more torque ? it is not a fixed thing and it changes with each car

Edited by seedy
fair use

Diesel fuel contains more energy per liter than gasoline and diesel engines themselves are more efficient. Diesel engines have a lot more torque and gasoline engines have more horsepower. When driving, more torque is favorable to more horsepower. You will rarely run a gasoline engine at full RPM to take advantage of the horsepower.

Post with a Quote Edited - Quote removed

When posting a quote, Fair use applies -

Forum Rule - 4) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Repost following this Rule

Diesel fuel contains more energy per liter than gasoline and diesel engines themselves are more efficient. Diesel engines have a lot more torque and gasoline engines have more horsepower. When driving, more torque is favorable to more horsepower. You will rarely run a gasoline engine at full RPM to take advantage of the horsepower.

Is it true that diesel vehicles are more expensive to maintain?

I would've thought they'd be cheaper.

I think maintenance is cheaper. No ignition system and no spark plugs. No tuneups are required.