7 Killed in explosion at SCB Park Plaza in Bangkok

webfact

Exits are rarely managed well.

That the article mentions people had difficulty finding exits or exiting in time is not surprising.

So many stories of exits (lack of) being a significant factor in tragedies the world over... here at home, we are not special.

Not to hijack the story, but last night ...

I was in Gateway mall (again). I parked in the garage on level MA. There are MA and MR as well as M levels. I wont try to understand the logic but am grateful they marked them with something different on each floor.

I wanted to enter the mall on the ground floor. I saw I could walk the long distance to use the service elevator or go down the stairwell marked EXIT nearby. I inquired and was instructed by the friendly uniformed guard on the MA level to use the exit stair well to walk down to the ground floor. I did so and found the door was locked. Being locked in the exit stairwell and nowhere lower to go, I walked up a level. Door was locked. Going up another level, door was locked. Going up to where I started, I found the door locked but knocking on it was lucky to find the same guard opening it for me. He explained that they were usually locked but he was hopeful it was possible I could go down the exit (EMERGENCY EXIT) and find the door open.

2 things in conclusion: Gateway mall and that medical mistake building across soi 42 are some of the worst designed building space, counter intuitive to access and egress, ugly, and confirmed safety hazards in my experience.

Thai guards have a hopeful outlook and think positively.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I take it now that gas canisters are something that become exponentially lethal when under the supervision of Thai agents... Recently the boat and now this barely a week later... SMH... Condolences to all those poor people who were killed / injured here, very sad

Oddnesses:

Condolences to people that were killed?

An ambulance stretcher bearer who really seems to be enjoying himself.

Details of life make it fascinating.

If I get ripped from my mortal coil prematurely in life, I will not be regretting it, OR the life I have led til this or that moment, and

where and when possible I have always attempted to enjoy my work also, even when a smile seems innappropriate.

In the first photo, the rescue worker in the middle thinks it's funny. What would he find funny? Is the explosion funny? Are explosive devices in general amusing? Does he get the giggles are dead and dying victims? Is he enjoying the carnage so much he can't control himself?

Everybody deals with stress in their own way.

Just because he appears to be smiling doesn't mean that he thinks it is funny. This is where 'black humour' originates, people making fun of tragedy to help them cope with the physiological effects of the reality of the situation.

Hope you never find yourself in the situation, such as recovering dead bodies, to find out how you would deal with it.

i have seen the thai "smile" many times when imo a smile is completely inappropriate but it seems in their culture the smile is taught as a universal fix. friends from multiple asian countries agree with me also. my take on the guy in the pic smiling is either the above or perhaps the picture was taken before they knew people were dead or injured.

i dont know that anybody would use black humour in the face of a tragedy like this and i have know many emt's and other health care pro's.

In the first photo, the rescue worker in the middle thinks it's funny. What would he find funny? Is the explosion funny? Are explosive devices in general amusing? Does he get the giggles are dead and dying victims? Is he enjoying the carnage so much he can't control himself?

Could it be the gas has effected him? Or a reaction with another gas has formed a new compound?

What is "Laughing Gas"?

Not trying to be funny, l genuinely do not know.

Safe to say that rocket scientists weren't using it.coffee1.gif

Not quiet true.

They were Thai Rocket scientists.w00t.gif

Ten people have died. Do you really need to turn this into a Thai bashing thread with your "witty" comments.

What's wrong with you?

I parked in the West Building B4 last week on Wednesday afternoon. I recall stairwells next to the lifts. It was very hot in B4, but not any more so than any other enclosed car park in the tropics.

If power went out for whatever reason, it would be hard to find your way out if you did not have decent light and know your way. Even B2 would be difficult to get out of. The car exit is a wide round circular exit in one corner of the car park. You can not see it from much of the rest of the carpark due to the foundation of the buiding, piles etc.

RIP to those who perished.

Quote: The thick blanket of smokes prevented the workers from getting out of the B2 basement because there is a special exit and the workers might not be familiar with the exit.

So indirectly admitting to not carrying out regular safely briefings (OH&S) to keep employees refreshed on emergency / exit plans? Sad :(

In IT server rooms fire suppression is achieved by filling the room with an inert gas which displaces the oxygen - the hardware remains functional. Guess it's one of those systems.

They have these sort of systems in ships engine rooms, did not know that buildings use them but sounds like something similar.

It is embarrassing at times to be a Foreigner ... when they collectively demonstrate is no lower limit to the vitriolic small minded xenophobic / racist mindset they seem to find "Funny"

I (sadly) honestly believe that there is a core group on TV who are actually happy to see news like this .. because it is ample fodder for their uninformed and mean spirited humor.

I come to TV and read these posts, in the same way I can not turn away from the scene of an accident ... a morbid curiosity of how low we have sunk, and the true ugly underside of the Foreigners here in the Kingdom.

People have died a horrid death in an accident yet to be fully explained .. but that is really not the point is it?

I predict that the day is coming when the highest powers in the Kingdom will use really anti - Thai mentality they can see here every day, as a tool to make life for Foreigners harder and harder.

This is why people like me, ask people like you .. who hate Thai people and have no respect for the Kingdom .. to please .... leave. Since you hate it, and we love it .. why do you ruin it for us .. go find a place you too can enjoy .. and stop making everything an attack on Thailand.

I think this posting is "on topic" because the "topic" here seems to be "Thai Bashing without FACTS"

So I do respectfully ask the mods to allow it and only end it if it degrades to a flame contest.

Edited by Guest

In IT server rooms fire suppression is achieved by filling the room with an inert gas which displaces the oxygen - the hardware remains functional. Guess it's one of those systems.

They have these sort of systems in ships engine rooms, did not know that buildings use them but sounds like something similar.

And stand to be corrected but on ships when the supression system is operated the WTDs to the engine room automatically locked after a pre-determined length of time as they are fire doors, which would gel with what was reported about an access controlled door which couldnt be opened in this case

It is embarrassing at times to be a Foreigner ... when they collectively demonstrate is no lower limit to the vitriolic small minded xenophobic / racist mindset they seem to find "Funny"

I (sadly) honestly believe that there is a core group on TV who are actually happy to see news like this .. because it is ample fodder for their uninformed and mean spirited humor.

I come to TV and read these posts, in the same way I can not turn away from the scene of an accident ... a morbid curiosity of how low we have sunk, and the true ugly underside of the Foreigners here in the Kingdom.

People have dies a horrid death in an accident yet to be fully explained .. but that is really not the point is it?

I predict that the day is coming when the highest powers in the Kingdom will use really anti - Thai mentality they can see here every day, as a tool to make life for Foreigners harder and harder.

This is why people like me, ask people like you .. who hate Thai people and have no respect for the Kingdom .. to please .... leave. Since you hate it, and we love it .. why do you ruin it for us .. go find a place you too can enjoy .. and stop making everything an attack on Thailand.

I think this posting is "on topic" because the "topic" here seems to be "Thai Bashing without FACTS"

So I do respectfully ask the mods to allow it and only end it if it degrades to a flame contest.

There are factions on here who dont need facts, they know everything already, but you are correct there seem to be many on here who take great pleasure in slagging off everything Thai at every chance they get, must sad living a life so unhappy and so insecure

So it sounds like a Halon release, the suppression system could have been activated by the movers hitting a manual release button, they are protected but they are meant to be used in an emergency so it's not like you need to unlock anything. The system would have had a warning alarm but they may not have realized what it was or known how to override the release if they were not familiar with the building or if they were not trained on what to do. The doors that are on magnetic hold opens would have automatically released and the rescue people would not have known where to get keys. Halon systems are very useful but they are dangerous to untrained workers.

Edited by phoneguy702

So it sounds like a Halon release, the suppression system could have been activated by the movers hitting a manual release button, they are protected but they are meant to be used in an emergency so it's not like you need to unlock anything. The system would have had a warning alarm but they may not have realized what it was or known how to override the release if they were not familiar with the building or if they were not trained on what to do. The doors that are on magnetic hold opens would have automatically released and the rescue people would not have known were to get keys. Halon systems are very useful but they are dangerous to untrained workers.

As somebody else has said they system sounds a lot like the one used in a ships engine room, once the system is activated the "space" is locked down and if you dont know how to override or the proper thing to do, chances are you are dead

Hydrogen would not be used in a fire suppression system. The article's use of hydrogen must be a mistake.

I have feeling this may not even be a Halon system, i was under the impression Halon systems had been "banned" for other reasons and the newer systems where infact CO2 supression systems...not that this would have helped the people concerned they still would have suffocated as the basic premise of all these systems is to displace oxygen with an "inert" gas ie one that doesnt support combustion

Edited by Bobotie

Obviously the reporter doesn't know what a halon fire system is or it's effect once triggered. I've worked in enough data centers to know you don't want to be in one when the system is triggered.

RIP to the victims

RIP also for any hope of human decency from many (not a few, MANY) TV members who use a tragedy as an opportunity to denigrate Thailand and its people. You are such a pathetic bunch of non-humans. One can only hope that soon you'll fall off your barstool and require the assistance of some Thais who know your online persona and decide to let you lie in your own p!ss and add to the puddle. Sad bunch of {'}s

Obviously the reporter doesn't know what a halon fire system is or it's effect once triggered. I've worked in enough data centers to know you don't want to be in one when the system is triggered.

As on ships, when the supression system is activated do the doors to the data center go on autommatic lock down ?...think they would

SCB Blames Fire System Upgrade for 8 Deaths
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee
Staff Reporter

14579276491457927667l.jpg
Faces covered by handkerchiefs and masks, rescue personnel rush the injured out of a basement at SCB Park Plaza on Sunday night in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — Siam Commercial Bank has blamed reckless contractors for the deaths of eight people Sunday night at its corporate campus on Ratchadapisek Road.

The bank said in a statement Monday morning the incident, which happened just before 10pm, was the fault of the contractor hired to upgrade the building’s fire suppression system to a gas-based solution.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1457927649

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-03-14

I did see another report saying that the contractors where installing a pyrogen fire extinguisher system (http://www.pyrogen.com/Pyroleaflet.pdf) and that they accidentally triggered the canister(s).
I also read that some are complaining about the exits being locked, remember that this is a bank and locked doors are the basic of security. And closed doors are used to prevent fire from spreading to other compartments/rooms in buildings, ships and so on.

Horrible situation. Industrial suffocation accidents do happen when dealing with closed spaces. In the past NASA lost some people on the launch pad when a large amount of nitrogen was purged and it displaced the oxygen. I worked in the electric boat submarine shipyard and we were well schooled in tank watch, close space operations etc. In this day of modern building air conditioning and no open windows, recycled air, etc. open fresh air is less available

RIP to the victims. Condolences to their families and friends. Appears to be another case of inadequate safety precautions. Every day I witness such with fire exits blocked/locked. Parking next to fire hydrants. Overcrowding in shopping malls. Lack of use of safety belts, safety harnesses, safety helmets. Etc. Etc. I foresee many more lives lost due to carelessness in safety. Very very sad.

Looking back in time S.C.B. does seem to attract attention to anything connected with fire and now it seems with fire prevention !!

Records that go up in flames are not seen again.whistling.gif

Edited by shunter

People have died a horrid death in an accident yet to be fully explained .. but that is really not the point is it?

You really are over the top with your hysteria. There isn't any Thai bashing.

Rather it is an expression of the frustration people have when they see preventable death and injury. These tragedies are not one offs, nor infrequent. Sadly it is an ongoing pattern. Worse still is that the responsible parties do not want to correct their behaviour, nor will they accept assistance from people who have the expertise. The most blatant example of this is the current air safety crisis.

I do not comment on events like this, but I can understand why anyone with work experience or training in workplace safety, or the skilled trades or chemistry would be disgusted by this event.