Deputy Education Minister: Parents vital for child development

webfact

Deputy Education Minister: Parents vital for child development

edu1.jpg

BANGKOK, 14 March 2016 (NNT) – Deputy Education Minister Theerakiat Jareonsettasin has highlighted the role of parents in child development.

At the 4th Think Beyond Learning motivational activity on Saturday, Dr. Theerakiat commented that quality upbringing, particularly exemplary conduct, fosters intellectual growth among children.

According to Dr. Theerakiat, good parents shouldn't force their expectations on their children but should give them the freedom to think and express their opinions. As for language learning, parents should spark a desire for learning among their offspring so that they will be persistent in seeking their goals.

The deputy Education Minister also advised parents to remember the saying of HRH Princess Sirindhorn that learning is a lifelong activity.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-14 footer_n.gif

One has to wonder if they are just figuring this out. Kids need their parents always to learn. Yet, Thai parents still make babies and dump them at the child's grandparents to raise them. They still drop them at school and forget that the child needs to come home after and do homework and study. They forget they are not just supposed to help them learn to speak and bathe and play with them, but have to be food role models as well and teach them values and morals and ethics. Until Thai parents actually get involved in rearing their children nothing will change.

My youngest is 4 and I am waiting for the english lesson home work to be brought home, as

my eldest daughter brought home when she was at school, and having read the questions on some

of the home work,

comprehension of sentences, words that were out of context,

when i re-wrote the question as it should have been and had my daughter to answer the question she now understood,

she actually got a zero mark , was spoken to by the head master, that the schools curriculum was set, no deviation

from the books used would be tolerated.

Parents own knowledge is very limited and the change in a generation will not happen, ( it is going to take at least 3 generation changes )

For me the generation change is happening quickly with technology, but still see no real progress until 2024,

I would suggest that anyone who has attended a PTA meeting, either as a parent or teacher, will be only too well aware of just how much Thai parents abrogate their responsibilities and expect schools etc to do their job for them.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

I agree what he says but I see and feel many parents today in Thailand, especially the middle classes have little or no parenting skills. They spend little time with their children having maids or nannys to look after them. Often they have poor parental skills like giving Ice cream for breakfast and a staple diet of pizza and KFC. Obviously this is not everyone but this is the trend I am seeing. parents often ask me how they can get there child to eat vegetables, not sit in front of the TV and not play on the Ipad. Simple basic things which the answer to is insist they eat vegetables and limit or take off TV and the Ipad. I see parents today finding parental skills as a great challenge as so often they are wrapped up in their own mobile phones and social life to realise they need to spend time with the children. School and a nanny/maid are not the only way to bring up children, as it is a combined effort which requires a lot of parental involvement.

My youngest is 4 and I am waiting for the english lesson home work to be brought home, as

my eldest daughter brought home when she was at school, and having read the questions on some

of the home work,

when i re-wrote the question as it should have been and had my daughter to answer the question she now understood,

she actually got a zero mark , was spoken to by the head master, that the schools curriculum was set, no deviation

Parents own knowledge is very limited and the change in a generation will not happen, ( it is going to take at least 3 generation changes )

For me the generation change is happening quickly with technology, but still see no real progress until 2024,

If your child's school uses textbooks that are misinforming the kids and teaching improper English then you are at fault for not withdrawing your child from that school as well as not making a good argument on your daughter's behalf. You need to get your kid into a school that will teach correct information quickly, lest she become ignorant to compete on the world the same as too many Thais already

of the home work,

If your child's school uses textbooks that are misinforming the kids and teaching improper English then you are at fault for not withdrawing your child from that school as well as not making a good argument on your daughter's behalf. You need to get your kid into a school that will teach correct information quickly, lest she become ignorant to compete on the world the same as too many Thais already

"How well informed you are" I pay for a private school for my youngest daughter, my eldest has now finished her degree, as for not arguing my daughters plight, at that time, at that school, well unless you actually came with me and where present ? when my self and wife with a friend who teaches english, finally got in to see the Head and the associated officials, They would not deviate from the curriculum set out by the Minister of ED., all be it the case we put forward fell foul of the Thai - ness of things, which i understood.

You on the other hand being there said very little, were very quiet , or am i fuddled and muddled in my memory.

Great topic. Vital, but not really. Do we need any further proof of the existence, and ubiquity, by inherited DNA, of the Chomskian Snowflake? I think not. If language were something we needed to learn or be taught, many folks, in certain locales, would not only be totally mute... their thoughts would be based only on emotions and the pursuit of basic needs, like any and all mammal species. But that is not so. Language is why we can think in the abstract. And it's obviously merely inherited. Noam Chomksy. Steven Pinker. Great reads, yes? As for parents, and as well anyone within hearing distance, they are useful for language acquisition, which is what makes us intelligent... but let us never forget that it is that wonderful occurance, about 100,000 years ago, that gave us this gift and that it is a gift. It is 99.9999% a story about DNA and of life on a, so far, long lived planet. Saying that anything else is vital to this is nothing more than the usual everyday propaganda and nonsense talk. Whether it is a government official, a self proclaimed clergyman or a 2,000 year old prophet. And the analogy of a snowflake is perfect, whereas most analogies are not at all. And it's also not much of a surprise that that first human would have thrived.

Edited by maewang99

The Thai English teacher, teaches my girls nothing as both my kids speak better than her

Teachers tend to let the boys at school run amuck at the expense of the other kids who want to learn

Teachers man the ground before and after school and never have I seen them stop an underage child from riding/driving a motor vehicle or at basic level, make sure the kids have helmets on

Personally, I think all Thai parents are thick as bricks and any education they impart is vicious, demoralizing, inaccurate and stems from the wise teachings of the Soap Opera show they believe is factual

Just the fact that they so strongly believe in ghosts, makes you think that they are still living in the 1600's

And that first human would have thrived even if one or both of it's parents were dead, or shortly so. This is nothing more than the usual nonsense talk we love to tell ourselves.

Edited by maewang99

of the home work,

"How well informed you are" I pay for a private school for my youngest daughter, my eldest has now finished her degree, as for not arguing my daughters plight, at that time, at that school, well unless you actually came with me and where present ? when my self and wife with a friend who teaches english, finally got in to see the Head and the associated officials, They would not deviate from the curriculum set out by the Minister of ED., all be it the case we put forward fell foul of the Thai - ness of things, which i understood.

You on the other hand being there said very little, were very quiet , or am i fuddled and muddled in my memory.

As a teacher I have come across textbooks that were wrong. If the school refused to let me amend them I refused to use them. As a parent with a kid already in school. If I saw they were teaching English wrong and refused to listen to me I would take my kid out of there and my wife would be telling all the other parents she socializes with at that school about what they were doing. My kids education is more important that Thainess and a stubborn director.

Curriculum does not dictate the materials used nor how and what the teacher teaches. They just wanted to save face.

Edited by thesetat2013

Any parent, who has a choice, and chooses to educate a child in Thailand, in all but a handful of legitimate international schools, is negligent in fulfilling their parental responsibilities. It's more or less child abuse.

One has to wonder if they are just figuring this out. Kids need their parents always to learn. Yet, Thai parents still make babies and dump them at the child's grandparents to raise them. They still drop them at school and forget that the child needs to come home after and do homework and study. They forget they are not just supposed to help them learn to speak and bathe and play with them, but have to be food role models as well and teach them values and morals and ethics. Until Thai parents actually get involved in rearing their children nothing will change.

Yet, Thai parents still make babies and dump them at the child's grandparents to raise them.

You think Nanny raising the child is a Thai thing!?!?!? When they say parents, I take it they mean who ever has the parental role in the child's life. Children are in nurseries, with au pairs, childminders, and of course also living with their grandparents in Western countries as well, this is nothing Thai, and it does not have to adversely effect a child's education, it can be just as good for them, there is no logical reason why a child raised by their grandparents should be disadvantaged. Problems arise through neglect, and that can happen to children raised by parents and grandparents alike.

Any parent, who has a choice, and chooses to educate a child in Thailand, in all but a handful of legitimate international schools, is negligent in fulfilling their parental responsibilities. It's more or less child abuse.

" Such a broad brush you use"

Have you done such a case study on the hand full of schools legitimate?

if so please name them and enlighten us all on the resulting study you have partaken in.

Otherwise i might see myself as irresponsible, negligent and a child abuser,

The Thai English teacher, teaches my girls nothing as both my kids speak better than her

Teachers tend to let the boys at school run amuck at the expense of the other kids who want to learn

Teachers man the ground before and after school and never have I seen them stop an underage child from riding/driving a motor vehicle or at basic level, make sure the kids have helmets on

Personally, I think all Thai parents are thick as bricks and any education they impart is vicious, demoralizing, inaccurate and stems from the wise teachings of the Soap Opera show they believe is factual

Just the fact that they so strongly believe in ghosts, makes you think that they are still living in the 1600's

"Personally I think all Thai parents are thick as bricks".

Personally I think that someone who makes a statement like that is talking out of his fundamental orifice...

Seriously, student's of any nationality are better off without you being in the faculty of teaching!

Do a quick revision of what you'd posted, you might be enlightened enough to acquire wisdom.

For you do not differ that much from the Deputy, 'LEARNING' is what the both of you really need to focus on....lots of it!

Seriously, student's of any nationality are better off without you being in the faculty of teaching!

Do a quick revision of what you'd posted, you might be enlightened enough to acquire wisdom.

For you do not differ that much from the Deputy, 'LEARNING' is what the both of you really need to focus on....lots of it!

Seriously, you need to look closer at what happens outside your own mouth and perhaps even pay attention to what happens inside of schools and what comes out of both Thai teacher and Thai students mouths. Nothing I said was an independent thought from me except that about what I would do if it was my own kid. Everything else was learned, taught by, guess who? The same Thai teachers and students who are so frustrated about lack of parental guidance and support in the school system. So mouth off all you want. Insult me as a teacher. Just do it looking beyond your egotistical self centered thinking. You are anything but, wise.

Great topic. Vital, but not really. Do we need any further proof of the existence, and ubiquity, by inherited DNA, of the Chomskian Snowflake? I think not. If language were something we needed to learn or be taught, many folks, in certain locales, would not only be totally mute... their thoughts would be based only on emotions and the pursuit of basic needs, like any and all mammal species. But that is not so. Language is why we can think in the abstract. And it's obviously merely inherited. Noam Chomksy. Steven Pinker. Great reads, yes? As for parents, and as well anyone within hearing distance, they are useful for language acquisition, which is what makes us intelligent... but let us never forget that it is that wonderful occurance, about 100,000 years ago, that gave us this gift and that it is a gift. It is 99.9999% a story about DNA and of life on a, so far, long lived planet. Saying that anything else is vital to this is nothing more than the usual everyday propaganda and nonsense talk. Whether it is a government official, a self proclaimed clergyman or a 2,000 year old prophet. And the analogy of a snowflake is perfect, whereas most analogies are not at all. And it's also not much of a surprise that that first human would have thrived.

I'm for legalizing pot but sometimes I wonder....