Driving from Bangkok to Nong Khai for visa in Vientiane?

ChomDo

Hi,

I recall a similar question was asked here before but can't find it anymore so I hope someone can advice on this question.

I have to go to Vientiane to get a SETV in the end of this month and I'm thinking of driving up from Bangkok to Nong Khai with my own car and then leaving the car there for a night while I get my visa. I know there are easier options such as the ThaiVisaService van trip or a flight to Udon Thani etc but I'd rather make a trip out of it and see something on the way.

I would appreciate any general hints along the route and parking options in Nong Khai? On the way up I would probably stay in Khon Kaen for the first night and the next morning drive to Nong Khai and either spend a day there first or cross to Laos the same day. This depends on the parking options. If I have to book a hotel in Nong Khai to be able to leave my car in a secure parking lot, then I guess I would stay one night first.

On the way back I would like to drive down a different route, maybe trough Loei province if it's not too slow. Last year I drove from Bangkok to Mukdahan to do my visa in Savannakhet. The distance to Vientiane is about the same but I guess the road conditions should be a lot better than BKK-Mukdahan?

Thanks!

Generally driving is easy on route #2 (Mitraphap, friendship highway).

End of this month: no Thai holidays as far as I can see, so just use some weekday Tue to Thu ?

Overnight in Khon Kaen? Well you know you have to apply until 11:30h at the V. consulate?

That would require a real early wakeup.

Try to make it at least to Udon!

Not too much time for sightseeing (if you want to make it during daylight which I ABSOLUTELY recommend).

Parking at Nong Khai before bridge is easy/plenty.

Just reread and not quite sure whether I understood your travel plans (overnight) correctly.

Just to repeat, in Vientiane:

Applying until 11:30h in the morning of day one.

Pickup in the afternoon from ? on day two.

So of course one overnight in Vientiane.

And on day two you can start your way back not before the afternoon.

Edited by KhunBENQ

We came back from Mukdahan to Chiang Mai end January. Followed the Mekong River, south from Nong Khai a little ways and then back up to the river. South into Loei and home. Road in good shape. Traffic light. Nice scenery.

Thanks for the advice, sounds great! I think Khon Kaen is the furthest I can drive to in one day but of course it would be more convenient to reach Vientiane and the consulate the next morning. If I can not then I suppose I would either spend one night in Nong Khai or two nights in Vientiane.

So there is a secure parking lot around the border/bridge where I can leave my car over night (or maybe 2 nights)? Any idea how much they charge per day? I was going to book a hotel in Nong Khai and leave the car there but I might also just drive from Khon Kaen straight to the border then if parking is easy.

I would rather drive up on a weekday as Khun BENQ suggested but my visa expires on Monday so I would probably leave Bangkok Sat or Sun. Does this route usually have traffic during the weekend?

This year due to various changes of job, I've done several visa runs.......I take my car into Laos. I just find it more convenient....I also gave up on Vientiane and used Savannakhet.

I'm coming from Chonburi .......

i'm sure it's easy enough to leave the car in Nong Khai, but if staying overnight in Laos, it's nice to have a car.......I think last time I stayed 2 nights, morning after night one put in docs and stayed one more night then picked up docos in the pm next day.

If I drive into Laos I normally stay in Udon and drive to the border the next day (60 km)

To Savannakhet, I stay somewhere in Buriram and go to border nest day.

If I have to do a visa run, I don't see why it always has to be such a rush...I like to try and make it an entertaining trip

PS - there is a slightly longer but prettier route through Chaiyaphum from Bkk - it avoids the rather boring route 2.

If you make it to Udon, there is a very bland block of rooms (BB Grand) almost behind Tescos on the ring road. it's good for an early start to Nong Khai and just by it is a stupendously good Issan restaurant with fantastic live music...

This year due to various changes of job, I've done several visa runs.......I take my car into Laos. I just find it more convenient....I also gave up on Vientiane and used Savannakhet.

I'm coming from Chonburi .......

i'm sure it's easy enough to leave the car in Nong Khai, but if staying overnight in Laos, it's nice to have a car.......I think last time I stayed 2 nights, morning after night one put in docs and stayed one more night then picked up docos in the pm next day.

If I drive into Laos I normally stay in Udon and drive to the border the next day (60 km)

To Savannakhet, I stay somewhere in Buriram and go to border nest day.

If I have to do a visa run, I don't see why it always has to be such a rush...I like to try and make it an entertaining trip

Yes at least for the border crossing Savannakhet is a much better option. It took me maybe 15 min to cross the border at Mukdahan-Savannakhet and many hours at Nong Khai-Vientiane last time. It's just that I drove that route last time so I want to drive to a different place and I don't mind spending a day or two in Vientiane but I wouldn't choose to spend time in Mukdahan/Savannakhet again.

I'm also in no rush at all..will probably spend at least 5 days on the trip. That's also why I don't want to do the van trip again..terrible rush to get to the border and then wait there for 5 hours with a big group of people. I'd much rather do my own trip even though it means driving close to 1500 km.

PS - there is a slightly longer but prettier route through Chaiyaphum from Bkk - it avoids the rather boring route 2.

If you make it to Udon, there is a very bland block of rooms (BB Grand) almost behind Tescos on the ring road. it's good for an early start to Nong Khai and just by it is a stupendously good Issan restaurant with fantastic live music...

I checked that route and it looks good in the Google Street view. Is the road in good condition all the way and is it known to be a quiet route? I wouldn't mind a little bit longer if the scenery is more interesting..and of course the less trucks and maniacs the better (which ever option that may be)!

I checked that route and it looks good in the Google Street view. Is the road in good condition all the way and is it known to be a quiet route? I wouldn't mind a little bit longer if the scenery is more interesting..and of course the less trucks and maniacs the better (which ever option that may beI crossed the border 10 times last year alone.)!

I've taken that route a couple of times at Song Khran to avoid the traffic on the 2 and it was fine. I haven't travelled it for about 14 months....but I doubt it has deteriorated significantly.

I don't ever experience significant delays at any of the Laos crossings these days...I crossed the border 10 times last year alone ...........it takes me 30 minutes to get from my hotel in savannakhet to Big C Mukdahan.

At Vientiane; - the only problem I ever get is waiting for my visa if there is a coach-load of tourists in at the same time.......the car docs are very quick.

there is a CAVEAT though, i heard that Laos are thinking of checking vehicles for contraband more thoroughly at borders so this might suddenly slow the process.

If I was going for 5 days, i'd deffo take the car.

I worked in Savannakhet for a while and although it is a quiet town, there is quite a lot going on........but you definitely need a car...pick up some leaflets from any of the restaurants...there's a series with suggested routes mapped out.........quite an adventure - some are really for 4x4 only.

there are a few route choices there from Bkk - basically you've got the Nakhon Ratchasima or the Sakaeo/Buriram routes but there are options that combine the 2 as well.

BTW - that Restaurant near Tesco Lotus on the ring road in Udon is called Keeta Kawee - it features one of the best percussionists I've ever seen in my life.....and I was in the industry.....

Edited by cumgranosalum

I checked that route and it looks good in the Google Street view. Is the road in good condition all the way and is it known to be a quiet route? I wouldn't mind a little bit longer if the scenery is more interesting..and of course the less trucks and maniacs the better (which ever option that may beI crossed the border 10 times last year alone.)!

I've taken that route a couple of times at Song Khran to avoid the traffic on the 2 and it was fine. I haven't travelled it for about 14 months....but I doubt it has deteriorated significantly.

I don't ever experience significant delays at any of the Laos crossings these days...I crossed the border 10 times last year alone ...........it takes me 30 minutes to get from my hotel in savannakhet to Big C Mukdahan.

At Vientiane; - the only problem I ever get is waiting for my visa if there is a coach-load of tourists in at the same time.......the car docs are very quick.

there is a CAVEAT though, i heard that Laos are thinking of checking vehicles for contraband more thoroughly at borders so this might suddenly slow the process.

If I was going for 5 days, i'd deffo take the car.

I worked in Savannakhet for a while and although it is a quiet town, there is quite a lot going on........but you definitely need a car...pick up some leaflets from any of the restaurants...there's a series with suggested routes mapped out.........quite an adventure - some are really for 4x4 only.

there are a few route choices there from Bkk - basically you've got the Nakhon Ratchasima or the Sakaeo routes but there are options that combine the 2 as well.

BTW - that Restaurant near Tesco Lotus on the ring road in Udon is called Keeta Kawee - it features one of the best percussionists I've ever seen in my life.....and I was in the industry.....

Ok thanks maybe I'll take that route instead of number 2. I'll just add a map of the route below so if you can confirm if it's correct according to your advice?

Any idea what is the best time to cross the border at Nong Khai. Last time I had a ridiculous wait there..the van arrived there around 5am and we got across the border around 9am. The problem there are all the tourist/visa run buses like you said so I would like to avoid those times if possible.

I never actually thought of taking my car to Laos. Wouldn't there be many things to consider then such as insurance coverage etc.

BKK-Chaiyaphum-NongKhai.tiff

Yes, that's the route I envisaged......

Taking your car to Laos is easy.

Your need to have a cars’ blue book in your name

You need a “purple book” - which is the car’s “passport”

This book is available from any Department of Land Transport office

My experience is that takes about 1 to 2 hours to get it and should cost about 200 baht or less.

To get this you need a proof your address (this is probably the most expensive part as it has to be got from Immigration and requires evidence of where you live) and all your car docs and those for you.

There are descriptions around ThaiVisa of taking the car through - all the other docs you need are available at the border and quickly filled in. Laos side has always been very good. Once you clear Laos customs you can buy insurance which costs about 200 to 500 baht for a week or 2 weeks.

If you cross for the first time, it all seems a bit bewildering and it takes a little longer, but they have always been very helpful on both sides...telling me what widow to go to next.

When I drive from Udon, I usually arrive at Nong Khai bridge at mid-morning. I never pay too much attention to the time but my impression is that earlier on there is a bit of an early morning rush to get across which dies down later.

My guess is that if you took a bus/van across the delays were getting you passport processed by Laos immigration...VOA seems to be the main factor in how long it takes.

having you own car in Laos is a boon....it also means you have a huge choice of crossing points, especially if you are staying for a few days. You can enter in one place and exit via another.

My experience is that takes about 1 to 2 hours to get it and should cost about 200 baht or less.

To get this you need a proof your address (this is probably the most expensive part as it has to be got from Immigration and requires evidence of where you live) and all your car docs and those for you.

There are descriptions around ThaiVisa of taking the car through - all the other docs you need are available at the border and quickly filled in. Laos side has always been very good. Once you clear Laos customs you can buy insurance which costs about 200 to 500 baht for a week or 2 weeks.

If you cross for the first time, it all seems a bit bewildering and it takes a little longer, but they have always been very helpful on both sides...telling me what widow to go to next.

When I drive from Udon, I usually arrive at Nong Khai bridge at mid-morning. I never pay too much attention to the time but my impression is that earlier on there is a bit of an early morning rush to get across which dies down later.

My guess is that if you took a bus/van across the delays were getting you passport processed by Laos immigration...VOA seems to be the main factor in how long it takes.

having you own car in Laos is a boon....it also means you have a huge choice of crossing points, especially if you are staying for a few days. You can enter in one place and exit via another.

Ok thanks for the info. In Vientiane I would only park the car at the hotel for that one day and walk around town as I usually do so in that case it's probably not worth it for me to do paperwork and get extra insurances. It would be great if you want to drive out of town or around Laos though.

I will have to try avoid the busiest times at the border crossing. I am still planning to spend the first night in Khon Kaen so the options are that I drive from there to the border really early next morning which would mean that I could cross the border somewhere between 8-10am and still hopefully make it to the consulate in time. Another option is that I take it easy and drive from Khoen Kaen to Nong Khai later that day and cross the border in the afternoon (which would then mean a 2 nights stay in Vientiane) or stay in Nong Khai for one night and cross the border early next morning.

On the way back I'm interested in driving trough Loei province. I've heard it should have some nice scenery there? Any hints for the route Nong Khai-Loei-Phetchabun-Bangkok and how would the road conditions be around there (for a normal car not pick up)?

Ok thanks for the info. In Vientiane I would only park the car at the hotel for that one day and walk around town as I usually do so in that case it's probably not worth it for me to do paperwork and get extra insurances. It would be great if you want to drive out of town or around Laos though.

I will have to try avoid the busiest times at the border crossing. I am still planning to spend the first night in Khon Kaen so the options are that I drive from there to the border really early next morning which would mean that I could cross the border somewhere between 8-10am and still hopefully make it to the consulate in time. Another option is that I take it easy and drive from Khoen Kaen to Nong Khai later that day and cross the border in the afternoon (which would then mean a 2 nights stay in Vientiane) or stay in Nong Khai for one night and cross the border early next morning.

On the way back I'm interested in driving trough Loei province. I've heard it should have some nice scenery there? Any hints for the route Nong Khai-Loei-Phetchabun-Bangkok and how would the road conditions be around there (for a normal car not pick up)?

I drove from Udon to Loei in April and crossed into Laos at Tha Li - very picturesque.

we the went on up to Luang prabang via Xayabouri. You can drive to Vientiane from there but the last time I did that the road was very beautiful but a lot of unmetalled road along the Mae khong. you're best with a pickup or 4x4.

i think Khon Khaen is a bit far from the border - it makes the next morning such a rush....I'd go to Udon.

however een if you arrive in the afternoon you will still have plenty of time to get to Vientiane and find a hotel.

BTW - I usually stay at Vientiane Garden at Sihom. refurbished a couple of years ago, it's about 1500 baht per night with breakfast...a small pool (parking for me!) and really good water pressure in the showers. There are also some other places there including a couple of backpackers.

That area is walking distance from the river front and all the "sois" with their restaurants etc..

[bTW - "extra insurance" for Laos are about 200 baht. you might even get your Thai company to cover you - i did once.]

as i said whether it is VT or Savannakhet, I take the car..........but now I use Savannakhet, hopefully won't need another visa for a year or two though.

the official name for the "purple book" is "International Transport Permit"

In my opinion in Thai road better at night. Evening go out morning come.

After go give documents and sleep to hotel. Evening wake up. Get bear (in Lao good choice) get fun after sleep and next day take back passport.

PS

Car can leave near border. Right side after 7/11 have some private cover parking . near 100 per day.

Ok sounds good. That's the route I was going to take and then down via Petchabun on 21. So are the roads 210/211 and 201 to Loei and the 21 all the way down to Saraburi in good condition? Just want to confirm before I choose a route if someone knows because last time driving from Bangkok to Mukdahan I had to spend a few hours on a terrible road (somewhere in the beginning of 202 or 207). I'll just attach the map below to be clear which route exactly I'm planning to take.

I wouldn't choose to drive at night because I want to enjoy some views on the way. Also I want to see the road well. I have many times avoided a big hole on the road in the daytime but at night you would just drive right into them and either damage the car or risk your own safety. Not my choice but works for some. Thanks for the parking advice..100b per day sounds decent.

I've decided to take the 211 that runs along the Mekong all the way from Nong Khai to Chiang Khan and stay there for a night instead of Loei town. Seems like a nice little village right on the river. Will also cross the Friendship Bridge in the late afternoon and stay in Vientiane for 2 nights. Hopefully the border crossing doesn't take too long in the afternoon. Still not sure which parking lot to use at the border. I was reading all the earlier posts about the topic and seems that there are many options right at the bridge for about 100b per night. Any more recent and detailed info on the parking lots? Right at the border would be best as I have some luggage.

I've decided to take the 211 that runs along the Mekong all the way from Nong Khai to Chiang Khan and stay there for a night instead of Loei town. Seems like a nice little village right on the river. Will also cross the Friendship Bridge in the late afternoon and stay in Vientiane for 2 nights. Hopefully the border crossing doesn't take too long in the afternoon. Still not sure which parking lot to use at the border. I was reading all the earlier posts about the topic and seems that there are many options right at the bridge for about 100b per night. Any more recent and detailed info on the parking lots? Right at the border would be best as I have some luggage.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%9B/@17.8665407,102.7210523,563m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!1m2!2m1!1sVientiane+bridge!3m1!1s0x312463828aa6b3b3:0xe45bc54fc0fdeed4!6m1!1e1

parking about 100 per night

near 300m from immigration.

information near 5 month ago.( i be near)

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%9B/@17.8665407,102.7210523,563m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!1m2!2m1!1sVientiane+bridge!3m1!1s0x312463828aa6b3b3:0xe45bc54fc0fdeed4!6m1!1e1

parking about 100 per night

near 300m from immigration.

information near 5 month ago.( i be near)

Ok thanks I'll look into that one! The map and street view is helpful. From the street view that parking lot looks a bit dodgy tho...is this the best option around there? I read there was also one or two right at the immigration..if so it would also be better so I don't have to drag my stuff around.

• 3 weeks later...

The driving route was a success and there were a few scenic roads on the way though the smog ruined lots of the nice mountain and Mekong views. Especially the roads 2115 and 2399 were great with nice mountain roads and no cars at all. Also road 21 before and after Phu Ruea was great.

Crossing the border at the Friendship bridge was totally different from last time with the van group. This time I crossed around 4pm with really no waiting at all so it was really convenient compared to the 5 hours waiting time with the group last time. Parked my car just behind the 7/11 as advised by many, it cost 100b per day and as close to the crossing point as you can get.

I suppose the visa process has changed somewhat at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. This time I had to just queue up for a number and drop the documents. There were maybe 100 people in line before me at 7.45 but it took only about an hour and I was out. Next day just wait for your number to be called out, then pay and get your passport back. Picking up part took maybe 45 min so really not much of a hassle this time!