Targeting westerners at BTS security ?

atyclb

for years all BTS had was a small table and on it a security logbook. never saw an actual security person manning this. recently some bts stations have so called security staff. i have been stopped virtually every time with a small backpack.

they shine the light into backpack for 1/2 second and even if there is a full bag within it they fail to look further. i stood a bit away while appearing to check sms on mobile and did indeed notice westerners are scrutinized but most thais with bags need not open their bag.

saw a thai stopped and the light shined on the outside of his attache case, did not even open it.

the underground mrt has become less scrutinizing and currently rarely get checked. do they think foreigners are the cause of their crime and woes ?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I take the BTS 3 to 4 times a day. My monthly BTS cost is about 2,500 baht, I've seen plenty of stations. And I do carry a backpack.

It goes like this:

- Some stations will have two security guards and they are doing more strict checking.

- At the beginning they used to check predominantly white people, lately I have seen they check Thai as well.

-If you don't look at them and pretend they are not there, you may pass by without being stopped. Started testing this and it worked over the last few days.

-I believe that if you take the BTS a lot like me some stations security will remember your face. But they do rotate security, I see new faces at my station at least.

-Some stations are unmanned after 9PM, and the ridiculous part is on one side you've got one security guard checking, on the other side side none.

-They don't look deep into the bag, nor do they look in all bags.

-Sometimes, if your bag is light and you don't open it but you squeeze it like to show them there's nothing extraordinary in there, they will scan it with that metal detector that just beeps automatically and detects nothing. It's a face saving exercise really.

The so called step up in BTS security has been in force since August last year.

If you think it is bad then try some malls. In Terminal 21 the walk through metal detector or whatever that thing is

beeps every time someone walks through it, the security think nothing of it.

The guy dressed in white just salutes everyone.

I ride the BTS every day to work and back. I carry a bag every day. I am checked about once a month, while Thai people seem to be checked much more often. Just my experience. I think the appearance of the person determines a lot.

Yesterday at MRT Chatuchak (subway). Walked thru metal detector frame carrying a business-style briefcase. Beeeep! Security guard half-smiled and politely waved me on. This farang wasn't a target.

oncwe i took my little espresso machin to be repaired. i put it inside a suitcase with wheels. mrt shined the light and saw the stainless steel square top of it. i asked them if they knew what it was. they said no(i speak and read thai). a metal cuboid heavy object that they could not identify but their goal is to shine the light on it only then they are happy

some malls have security at some entrances while others entrances have none. i have never seen terminal 21 check any bags despite many beeps. why have security if it is meaningless?

​"Atyclb" raises an important point, "Why have security if it is meaningless?"

The answer is because a little show of security, here and there, now and then, is a lot cheaper, and takes a lot less thinking, than really solving the security problem. (If there is a problem.)

I'm not any kind of "security professional", but I do read a lot about the topic. The Thais are very fond of "security theatre", just a show, but nothing that solves the underlying problem.

The concept of "security theatre" can be seen clearly in the difference between airport security in Israel vs. USA. I've never been to Israel, but I've read a lot about their approach. Totally "low tech," more like "no tech," but never any problems. In the USA, very high tech and very costly, and, sometimes, very severe problems in spite of the cost and effort. The Thais would like to imitate the "impressive" USA approach, but don't have the money, so they just pretend.

Some years ago I rode an overnight bus from Chiang Mai to another city up country. At the bus station were several "inspection machines" for passenger luggage. Large, long, rectangular boxes, with a conveyor belt inside, and a panel of impressive looking indicator lights on the front. I casually walked over, stood near, and carefully looked over the "inspection machines". Made of painted plywood. Nothing at all to inspect or X-ray luggage. Indicator lights turned on when the conveyor motor started -- nothing more than that. And many passengers just walked past, out to the bus platform, carrying luggage, without putting in on the conveyor. Nobody stopped them. "Security theater" in Thailand.

I agree with "Atyclb", it is meaningless.

You are definitely right and they are harassing White Foreigners on purpose - it's the only thing they do. They'll haggle you over your tiny briefcase, but will let dozens of Thais with giant suitcases through with no questions asked. It's not Security it's complete BS, lol.

Bangkok has turned into a giant WW2 Japanese style internment camp for Farangs, since a year ago already. But for some reason people still feel it's something which should be open to debate, when in fact it's glaringly obvious at every level in this country...

Foreigners are not targeted at all. They will check your bag if you stop and open it. Most foreigners stop because they feel the gaurd is there to check them.

Try looking at another direction next time and ignore them, you will not be bothered. I do it all the time.

Nonsense, they do check foreigners only... and Thais always pass through with no hassle at all. I've seen it at BTS and also at Siam Paragon, Central World and that large store at Phrom Phong - the Emporium. The bottom line for any White visitor to this city is that despite being harassed at every corner, everybody trying to touch your junk - you will still get absolute ZERO security in this city. You can take my word for it :)

some malls have security at some entrances while others entrances have none. i have never seen terminal 21 check any bags despite many beeps. why have security if it is meaningless?

You think that's meaningless - I have two metal knees and I never set off the alarms at Don Muang airport. In the real world I set every alarm off!!

Yes, all about show....these security people would have no idea what to look for

You are 100% correct, they have not got a clue what they are looking for, you check everyone or don't bother.

You are definitely right and they are harassing White Foreigners on purpose - it's the only thing they do. They'll haggle you over your tiny briefcase, but will let dozens of Thais with giant suitcases through with no questions asked. It's not Security it's complete BS, lol.

Bangkok has turned into a giant WW2 Japanese style internment camp for Farangs, since a year ago already. But for some reason people still feel it's something which should be open to debate, when in fact it's glaringly obvious at every level in this country...

I've read some tosh on this forum,but this is in the top 10.Maybe i'm blind and don't know it.

Nonsense, they do check foreigners only... and Thais always pass through with no hassle at all. I've seen it at BTS and also at Siam Paragon, Central World and that large store at Phrom Phong - the Emporium. The bottom line for any White visitor to this city is that despite being harassed at every corner, everybody trying to touch your junk - you will still get absolute ZERO security in this city. You can take my word for it smile.png

Rubbish,you are full of it.Me and my hippy shoulder bag go to all the above places,especially Emporium,and my bag is never opened.Look in the mirror and tell us if your eyes are too close together,if yes,this is a dead give away that you are dangerous.

As to why the various locations here do the cursory checks they do, it's the PRETENSE or APPEARANCE of security, rather than actual security. It's just a show and so, I suppose, if anyone ever questions the issue, the various authorities can pop up and say, "Of course we're doing security screening."

As for the Thai vs. farang screening debate, I travel on the BTS regularly, and am often carrying a large cloth/canvas bag that's usually filled with groceries. In months and years here, I think I've only been stopped once by a BTS security guard for a cursory check.

From my experience, I don't see them often stopping Thais, but I also often don't see them stopping farangs either. They do seem to pay more attention to people who look like they're tourists and those who stop at their little tables thinking they need to be checked. Also, I think the "don't pay any attention to the guards" maxim seems to work. You don't notice them, and they don't notice you.

I was actually a quality auditor for the US government with a very clean employment record, so when I see some genuine sh*t or BS - I report it... What I see here in Bangkok though is a bunch of worthless white boys with no balls, clearly in denial... lol

Nonsense, they do check foreigners only... and Thais always pass through with no hassle at all. I've seen it at BTS and also at Siam Paragon, Central World and that large store at Phrom Phong - the Emporium. The bottom line for any White visitor to this city is that despite being harassed at every corner, everybody trying to touch your junk - you will still get absolute ZERO security in this city. You can take my word for it smile.png

Rubbish,you are full of it.Me and my hippy shoulder bag go to all the above places,especially Emporium,and my bag is never opened.Look in the mirror and tell us if your eyes are too close together,if yes,this is a dead give away that you are dangerous.

Maybe he's got a certain style of beard.laugh.png

Lol, there's certainly a wide-spread harassment of whites in Bangkok, I was not even affected by it the most by far - for some reason the cops really like me, never been searched or stopped by cops. As for the security - I reported what I reported because it's true.

They do check foreigners only - and they never search the Thais... so they provide ZERO security and are just a huge pain in the ass for visitors...

And some of you can continue your worthless blah blah blah, but it's not going to solve this problem for anybody... :)

Lol, there's certainly a wide-spread harassment of whites in Bangkok, I was not even affected by it the most by far - for some reason the cops really like me, never been searched or stopped by cops. As for the security - I reported what I reported because it's true.

They do check foreigners only - and they never search the Thais... so they provide ZERO security and are just a huge pain in the ass for visitors...

And some of you can continue your worthless blah blah blah, but it's not going to solve this problem for anybody... :)

I have to agree with the others - you're totally wrong about this.

Maybe the reason you never managed to land a normal job back in your Western Countries perhaps means that you are not exactly the sample group of Farangs that anyone should even bother asking for an opinion :)...

What a weird comment. You have no idea what any of us food for a living.