Dane closes business in Thailand over visa issue

webfact

There are always 2 sides to a a case like this and as Immigration "refuse to give details on a particular case" I guess we will never know the truth.

As such, I will not comment to this particular case.

But I know Thailand, live already 16 years LEGALLY in Thailand, and never had a problem with Immigration before.

Until last year.

Since last year, getting an extension of my Retirement Visa has become a hell.

And I am not the only one, judging the many posts in other forums.

Thai Immigration has no real written specifications on how to obtain a Visa.

Thai Immigration Officers have the right to ask "additional documents" or deny a Visa without the need to give any explanation.

Add to this the corruption which has increased with this government, and you have everything you need to know why so many people have troubles with Immigration.

It's time for Thailand to specify the rules to get a Visa and STICK to these rules.

No personal interpretation of the law allowed.

e interesting,to know what proplems you had, In trying to renew your ext of stay. Might help other people with same proplem... cheers.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Obviously a bribe was required, a few hundred thousand.

A business sign has nothing to do with the immigration, its a shakedown but as he wont pay so the immigration decided to play a game with him.

I think so too. Why is Immigration not commenting when they have been asked by Media? Normally they are very talkative and publish every details if they had refused or deported someone...

A retirement extension or non-b extension has no risk if you're above board

Lawyer up. Save yourself the hassle if you're legit. Sit back and have a Chang and a let a power of attorney letter deal with it. 10k per year, yet some of you would rather get tossed around for days on end at immigrations amusement.

Rule #1 about extensions of stay: In Thailand, never go to immigration, ever.

Rule #2 See #1

I have not set foot at an immigration office for 8 years. It is totally legal. Just sign a power of attorney allowing your lawyer or accountant to act on your behalf only for certain things.

Amazing the things people will go through here to save a few baht.

Edited by TacoHell

What does the FBI stand for in this Udon real estate business? It's a strange choice for the name of a business. I am not American but I know FBI means the police. It's well known throughout the world. Going around with FBI on your shirt and no mention of Real Estate or other similar words may make people think you are impersonating the FBI to some degree. Orange is a colour associated with monks and Buddhism. Is there a cultural faux pas going on when you roll into Immigration Police office with FBI written plain orange shirt. You might be starting off on the wrong foot before you even open your mouth or hand over the documents. They may actually take an instant dislike to you?

CNXBKKMAN - so, if I wear an orange or (God forbid) scarlet frock, name my business, home, car or dog with an English language abbreviation which, somewhere on the planet, may possibly suggest police, army, etc, etc, I should accept running the risk of being subjected to all kinds of immigration et all hassle?? Even after being here perfectly legally for 10 years?

I dread to think how many wars across the millennia all over this darn great rock floating in space have been started by a ' cultural faux pas'

About time I cranked up option 2 - Kompat here I come!

What does the FBI stand for in this Udon real estate business? It's a strange choice for the name of a business. I am not American but I know FBI means the police. It's well known throughout the world. Going around with FBI on your shirt and no mention of Real Estate or other similar words may make people think you are impersonating the FBI to some degree. Orange is a colour associated with monks and Buddhism. Is there a cultural faux pas going on when you roll into Immigration Police office with FBI written plain orange shirt. You might be starting off on the wrong foot before you even open your mouth or hand over the documents. They may actually take an instant dislike to you?

"What does the FBI stand for in this Udon real estate business?"

Perhaps this might help answer your question?

http://www.htspweb.co.uk/cia/2009/cc/5304fb.htm

"I am not American but I know FBI means the police" Not so.

Actually, the Federal Bureau of Investigation is the domestic intelligence and security service of the United States similar to the United Kingdom's MI5..

Edited by ratcatcher

I can only quote one case I know similar to TACOHELL's reporting system. A neighbour of mine had a lawyer do all his paperwork for over 10 years untill a few months ago and it all suddenly stopped. The lawyer did not want to know.

The neighbour is still here but is now doing the reporting himself at immigration.

I also know the Visa "agency" across the road from Friendship supermarket in Pattaya that did "everything for you" including pretending that 800,000 was in the bank but it wasn't really is all boarded up and the locals that ran it are gone.... can't say where !

Unless you are here for two weeks full board holiday already paid for,,,, you ain't welcome any more.

CNXBKKMAN - so, if I wear an orange or (God forbid) scarlet frock, name my business, home, car or dog with an English language abbreviation which, somewhere on the planet, may possibly suggest police, army, etc, etc, I should accept running the risk of being subjected to all kinds of immigration et all hassle?? Even after being here perfectly legally for 10 years?

I dread to think how many wars across the millennia all over this darn great rock floating in space have been started by a ' cultural faux pas'

About time I cranked up option 2 - Kompat here I come!

It's definitely possible if you wear the wrong stuff at certain times you may be opening up yourself to be taken less seriously or getting some kind of extra grief. Tourist fly into Barbados all the time and wear a camo pattern t-shirt or bikini and get unwanted attention from the authorities. Bizarrely it's illegal to wear camouflage clothing in Barbados unless you are in the army.

I can only quote one case I know similar to TACOHELL's reporting system. A neighbour of mine had a lawyer do all his paperwork for over 10 years untill a few months ago and it all suddenly stopped. The lawyer did not want to know.

The neighbour is still here but is now doing the reporting himself at immigration.

I also know the Visa "agency" across the road from Friendship supermarket in Pattaya that did "everything for you" including pretending that 800,000 was in the bank but it wasn't really is all boarded up and the locals that ran it are gone.... can't say where !

Unless you are here for two weeks full board holiday already paid for,,,, you ain't welcome any more.

that's not what I said at all. If you are above board you have no problems.

The people who cheat the system should have somewhere in the back of their mind they will get caught.

Furthermore, they should not cry when they do.

Clear now?

Actually, the Federal Bureau of Investigation is the domestic intelligence and security service of the United States similar to the United Kingdom's MI5..

Thank you for that link, it is very interesting. I don't see where it shows what FBI stands for in this real estate business. If Udon immigration googled that stuff up it may raise red flags with his visa extension even if he is an innocent party.

Strange ...... there are always two sides to every story, I would like to know the other sides reason word for word before I believe this.

They won't comment. Even you want to comply, they do not know , or they will not tell you how to comply. Doing business in Thailand is painful.

FBI :: First & Best In Udon Real Estate, Udon Thani - North East Thailand

Thank you for that link, it is very interesting. I don't see where it shows what FBI stands for in this real estate business. If Udon immigration googled that stuff up it may raise red flags with his visa extension even if he is an innocent party.

Mr Pretzman also had another business.

Mr. Preben Pretzmann

Manager, FBI Investigation Office, Isaan Thailand.

it is painfully clear only Chinese are welcome here..and until all you with rose tints wake up YOU too will loose it all..... after decades here I liquidated all my assets , I dont even own a house or car anymore (I rent by the month)...In 24 hours a I can be gone

Get a little closer to the ground Terryp , my Chinese wife, has run her own business in Bangkok for nearly nine years supplying railway wheels and axles to the SRT, she is fully legit and meets all the requirements, however, as she spends half the year operating our China business, whenever she needs to renew her Thai work permit, she is forever running into problems in obtaining a Non B visa. Three odd years ago this was not an issue with multi entry all but guaranteed. It's a different ball game now, in January she was required to renew her work permit and managed after a battle to get a single entry Non B, but then when the work permit was issued it was only for six months, so it's back again very soon to renew again, but once more she is fighting to obtain the Non B.

Contrary to your remarks, the Thai consulates in China are very difficult to deal with, likewise Hong Kong.

So it's definitely not a bed of roses for the Chinese, in fact my wife's situation appears to be very similar to the OP

So he was having issues renewing his permission to stay extension. Why not leave the country and get a new visa instead ?..... closing the business is a bit extreme.

After 16 years of operation he only has the same capital as when he arrived (1 million). Business seems to be whatever he can scrape together, and even if he had "4 employees" on paper - he has no competent Thai staff to run it.... in other words - it is basically a one man operation but maybe with some decoration for immigration. If he is making a profit he is diverting that profit into another account not on the business books (which is not uncommon - but not quite legal either).

I just get the feeling that the business is not quite fulfilling the minimum requirements - especially now without his wife. The authorities are likely correct in not automatically continuing to grant him the paperwork - maybe because they see an opportunity to make a little on the side to look the other way.... but the business owner does not seem to be lily-white in regards to him just being a victim.

Seems there are no posters who have a small business here like this guy. I have been in the same boat as him for about the same time here, I can tell you first hand if you try to get or renew visa/wp it is basically impossible to do without the kickback. Most business pay it to their lawyer or business consultant as part of their fee and they intern pass it onto them. The exceptions are businesses who are located in bangkok where I don't hear reports like this, but in the provinces unless you come here to start a large business you will have face the reality and pay it or paperwork problems will happen. If your business is profitable enough you just look at it as another business expense.

Seems this guy was smart enough to do the renewal himself and refused to pay anything other than the official fees. I would also guess there was someone new who took over at that office and had enough of his free ride.

Another example of the direction this country is going which I feel is "Thailand is for Thai people" the rest of you can bugger off.

Spend your tourist dollars, spend your retirement money but don't think we're going to make it easy for you as a foreigner to do business here, no, no, make sure you spend a lot of money with your Thai lawyers and accountants, be sure to pay all the social taxes for your workers and then o.k., maybe, you can try and make some money.

Try.

It seems so, and it is like watching a child with a loaded gun.. it is only going to end in tears sooner or later

it is painfully clear only Chinese are welcome here..and until all you with rose tints wake up YOU too will loose it all..... after decades here I liquidated all my assets , I dont even own a house or car anymore (I rent by the month)...In 24 hours a I can be gone

Am I missing something? Some guy gets hassled over a business visa and your ready to rock on out of the country.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

since his business is closed, Im sure there's no reason he can't post his financial audits for the past 2 years and make a good case for Thailand screwing him.

Oh, and also show he has 4 legit Thai employees. (he has no wife in the company anymore)

He can really make a case here.

We should all take this matter seriously cheesy.gif

Complaining to scandasia? Does he not have an accountant and a lawyer?

A request to change your sign is a polite way of telling someone to F%$k off in Thailand, especially when your business name is FBI.

poor fella

Are you having trouble answering my direct question to you? I replied to your post.

You sound angry for some reason.

lg.jpg

At last, someone talking sense.

But alas they will still keep coming.

Its not a hard concept to grasp.

-Most Thais struggle just to suvive.

-They dont need farangs coming here trying to make money off their backs, and to think you can do so is nothing but pure arrogance.

Try as i may i cannot feel sorry for them.

Same as those who buy houses on land they cant own. A small percent have women bred from old school values, but i just have to laugh at guys on here, skiting they got it all after living with a Thai woman a few years, buying houses, cars and what not.

Some may get a few lucky years, but Thais play the long game, and of course the house always wins when the rules are stacked up against you.

For <deleted> sake when will they ever wake up to themselves?

2million Thai baht NOT invested in women via houses, business, cars, bikes etc will buy you 15 YEARS rent in a decent suburban condo.

YES..15 years hassle free!!! IF you can pull in your huge egos and live under the radar.

I have done this for 8 years already and have zero trouble with immigration or women and far from having a miserable life, i dont miss out on anything.

and more importantly, money in the bank for another X years.

why do they do it??

Lawyer up. Save yourself the hassle if you're legit. Sit back and have a Chang and a let a power of attorney letter deal with it. 10k per year, yet some of you would rather get tossed around for days on end at immigrations amusement.

Rule #2 See #1

I have not set foot at an immigration office for 8 years. It is totally legal. Just sign a power of attorney allowing your lawyer or accountant to act on your behalf only for certain things.

I dunno, being retired means I have plenty of time on my hands. Ripping up 10k just to stay at home watching TV seems a bit silly

So he was having issues renewing his permission to stay extension. Why not leave the country and get a new visa instead ?..... closing the business is a bit extreme.

After 16 years of operation he only has the same capital as when he arrived (1 million). Business seems to be whatever he can scrape together, and even if he had "4 employees" on paper - he has no competent Thai staff to run it.... in other words - it is basically a one man operation but maybe with some decoration for immigration. If he is making a profit he is diverting that profit into another account not on the business books (which is not uncommon - but not quite legal either).

I just get the feeling that the business is not quite fulfilling the minimum requirements - especially now without his wife. The authorities are likely correct in not automatically continuing to grant him the paperwork - maybe because they see an opportunity to make a little on the side to look the other way.... but the business owner does not seem to be lily-white in regards to him just being a victim.

You don't know what you are talking about. Before renewal is filed one must show receipts from the the social security office with the minimal 4 staff paid tax from the past 3 months or the application is refused acceptance. If they are suspicious they are paid only on paper they (imm. or SS) will come by and check. The whole point of registering a LTd here is having protection as the 49% share holder with preferred voting rights so the wife or any other share holder cannot make decisions for the company.

If the company is not maintaining the minimum profits, Imm. can inform the revenue dept they are suspicious. This is an extreme thing to due even for them as that can sink the boat in for most cases which is not their intention. The statement they made to scanasia for him to bring his passport in for renewal now is a sigh they pushed things too far and they know it. Running a LTD here is not a cheap thing to do here without an acceptable bare minimum of profit.

attachicon.giflg.jpg

I clearly disagree , with your pessimism, After all the time you have spent here with liquid assets why have you not moved to some where better?

CLEARLY you can be gone in 24hrs to what ?

My glass is always half full,

Do you even have anything to lose?

Rule #2 See #1

I dunno, being retired means I have plenty of time on my hands. Ripping up 10k just to stay at home watching TV seems a bit silly

Taco,

I fear you've been out of the loop for some years now. There is no power of attorney required for a proxy at immigration. Perhaps you are deep in the "village"?

ThaiVisa may help to keep you up to date.

"This is not a sustainable way to run a company. When a customer asks to visit an estate in two weeks, Ill have to say yes okay, but Im not sure, if I have a visa at that point and that is not long lasting in the end, he says. ......."

And here we have his admission of guilt!

Foreigners aren't allowed to sell Thai real estate.

They can manage the company, but are not allowed to interact with customers ..... it's a prohibited job.

Edited by MaeJoMTB