I Want A Credit Card!

Whats an easy credit card to get in BKK, what are the credit lines in general? Do most need to be secured?

Thanks,

Randy

Work permit, monthly salary or regular monthly income of more than 100 000 Baht (for foreigners). No credit card is exactly easy to get as a foreigner here.

Whats an easy credit card to get in BKK, what are the credit lines in general? Do most need to be secured?

Thanks,

Randy

One from a friendly offshore bank...

You will probably need to have a deposit of 2/3 times the credit you would like and some can be opened entirely online and they could be in a safe country (Switzerland/Singapore etc)

But i think it is possible to get visa electron cards attached to a savings account at a thai bank - not 100% on this but other members will know the low down.

Alternatively get a second card on a rich thais account and have a good time.

Edited by Khun Bob

When I opened my Bangkok Bank savings account about a year and half ago I also applied for a Visa credit card. They didn’t want to give credit but gave me the card with a 100,000 THB limit based on holding 100,000 THB in my savings for security. I figured this would be OK for awhile. After 6 months of both steady banking with direct deposit from large multi-national employer and steady use and prompt payment on the Visa card I asked for the hold to be taken off.

They said you need to apply again

I did and they reviewed me and said “no”

I said “OK cancel the credit card and release the hold”. I figure now I can get one elsewhere and don’t really need that much anyway. Have US$ card for the travel and such. Just wanted local credit.

They said “sorry you’re a good customer, submit application and we’ll give you credit”

I said “I did already but will again if you want”

They said “mmm we are confused but we will review again”

They said “No” again

I said “OK cancel the credit card and release the hold”.

They said “bring the card back to your branch and we will release the hold”. I did – they destroyed the card.

They said “sorry you’re a good customer we’ll give you credit – we’ll send you a new card”

Today a month later and maybe 3-4 months into this I don’t have a credit card and don’t have the release lifted.

I don’t know if this helps you but I feel better for sharing. This week I opened an account at another bank.

Valjean

My Life in Thailand

Thanks,

Randy

HSBC on Rama IV requires a salary of 600,000 B/yr minimum, 3 months worth of bank statements (any Thai bank), passport, work permit, letter from employer verifying income.

SCB at Siam Paragon says they require a salary of 1,000,000 B/yr for their platinum card and the same paperwork as HSBC. However, they put my application through even though I don't quite meet their salary requirement.

UOB and Kasikorn (both in Paragon) have the same document requirements and similar salary requirements.

None require opening an savings/checking account.

Also, although they need to see ORIGINAL paperwork (bank statements, income verification), they don't necessarily keep the originals -- just photocopies.

I'm in the process right now -- I've submitted applications to the first two banks last week but haven't heard from them yet. They say give 2 weeks.

Not sure what my chances are, but I've been here for only a year and a half, my salary is just under the SCB platinum requirement (938,000 B/yr), and I've been at my current residence for 10 months. I'll be crossing my fingers for the next week or so.

Does anyone think that applying for more than one at a time is a bad idea?

Personally, I think only a fool would get a credit card from a Thai bank. Unlike in the west, there is no protection against misuse of the card in Thailand. If you lose your card and somebody uses it, you have to pay. If someone steals your card and uses it, you have to pay. If somone uses a card number generator and uses your card number to buy through the Internet, you have to pay.

It's safer to stick to cash.

Personally, I think only a fool would get a credit card from a Thai bank...

...It's safer to stick to cash.

When someone chooses one way over another, and calls EVERYONE a fool for choosing the other way -- that's called arrogance. My personal opinion, of course.

When I head over to my travel agent to pay for a 200,000B trip, I would feel "safer" with a credit card. Once again, my personal opinion. If someone would rather carry around a wad of 200 thousand-baht notes, that'd be fine -- for him. Is he a fool? Don't know -- that's not for me to judge.

Back on topic ...

You can open a Tesco Lotus Credit card without much hassle, just need more than 30000 per month to get a gold card. They do check up with your employer though.

Is this a Tesco-Lotus "Visa/MC" branded card? Or is it strictly for use at Tesco-Lotus?

I finally got a Bkk Bank, KTC, and Kasikorn Card. Try Kasikorn first, open an account of course.

WP and 6 months of healthy statements is vital.

I can confirm that Kasikorn do not require a work permit, hey I'm much too rich to work.

Anyway, just the 6 months history.

Naka.

Personally, I think only a fool would get a credit card from a Thai bank. Unlike in the west, there is no protection against misuse of the card in Thailand. If you lose your card and somebody uses it, you have to pay. If someone steals your card and uses it, you have to pay. If somone uses a card number generator and uses your card number to buy through the Internet, you have to pay.

It's safer to stick to cash.

Not true, and hearing this old myth rehashed on similar threads gets a bit tedious. I had a Thai-issued card stolen a couple of months ago. It was used and i simply notified the bank (HSBC in this case) and they reimbursed the charges within a few days.

Not true, and hearing this old myth rehashed on similar threads gets a bit tedious. I had a Thai-issued card stolen a couple of months ago. It was used and i simply notified the bank (HSBC in this case) and they reimbursed the charges within a few days.

Of course, HSBC is not a Thai bank, it's a British one, so things are a little different. And, to be very precise, there are one or two Thai bank cards that provide a level of protection - but they are Platinum cards aimed at the very wealthy.

Of course, HSBC is not a Thai bank, it's a British one, so things are a little different. And, to be very precise, there are one or two Thai bank cards that provide a level of protection - but they are Platinum cards aimed at the very wealthy.

You only need income of about 100,000b a month; plenty of Thai people and expats meeting that; easiest plat qualification probably in the world! I think SCB you don't even need that much!

Buy a condo, then they'll be far more amenable to giving you credit in all its guises.

If I buy a condo but don't have a work permit or any visa (just a 30-day visa waiver stamp), do you think they'd be willing to approve me? Which bank do you suggest if one wanted to use this tactic?

Buy a condo, then they'll be far more amenable to giving you credit in all its guises.

If I buy a condo but don't have a work permit or any visa (just a 30-day visa waiver stamp), do you think they'd be willing to approve me? Which bank do you suggest if one wanted to use this tactic?

A friend of mine recently bought a condo. He has nothing more than a tourist visa. The bank went out of its way to offer him credit. Unfortunately I don't know the bank but I'll find out.

Personally I have credit cards from the U.K. which I rarely use because they do you for 4% on all non-sterling purchases and a Thai Farmer's debit card, annual charge 200 Baht.

My personal experience is that the length of time you have been in Thailand is equally, if not more, important that how much you earn. I meet the salary/wp requirements easily but have only have four months worth of banking history here. That's not enough for many banks, including SCB and Bangkok Bank.

One thing is the bank giving credit secured in a condo, another is handing over a credit card (consumer credit). 2 different animals.

I will myself try to pursue a credit card, and do not hold a work permit (but consulting/advisory income from abroad Incl. contract letter I.e. paid monthly). I do own a condo.

I will update you on the progress - but I do not have high hopes.

Cheers!

So what you all are basically saying is: No work permit = No credit card. I would love to hear any case of a non work permit holder given a Credit Card (not debit or rewards) from a Thai Bank(not HSBC or offshore). If someone like that exists, please, the forum is yours….

If you buy a condo on a 30-day tourist visa here what makes you think you'll be able to live in it longer than 30 days? And what makes you think you'll be able to stay in Thailand longer than 30 days to use the credit card? Penny really hasn't dropped has it?

The Thai government only wants you here if you have a legitimate reason to be here. Not just cause 'ya kinda like the place and want to hang out for as long as you wish'.

You can't do that in other countries either. It's a pain in the a#s to be sure - and not fair in many ways (like if married to a Thai). But it's their country - these are their rules. Find a way to get legal - then you can get a credit card. It's not that hard really.

HSBC - Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank of Commerce, though it was founded and run by Brits.

I don't know how to get a credit card now but three years ago I got one through KTC sales rep that stopped by the office. They might have tighten up the rules since then.

I dont think its unreasonable for banks to want people to show a work permit before issuing a credit card. It demonstrates commitment to being here and - let's face it - a better than even chance of being around to pay the bill and ability to pay the bill.

I can't imagine any farang country giving a foreigner a credit card based on anything less. Why should we expect preferential treatment?

I agree with Bendix - even though I guess a fully owned condo, millions in the bank, good references, mutual fund investments with the bank, time deposits with the bank, good bank book history, proof of salary/pension from abroad and similar items should be of use too.

In the end running a credit card biz is about evaluating risk/return - and handing a gold card with a 200k credit line to Mr. Somchai based on salary of 30k/mth that could be gone tomorrow, seems more risky to me than handing a 100k credit limit to an international expat with proven income from abroad as well as savings/capital and own condo/other investments(funds Etc.) in Thailand.

Cheers!