How long could survive on three million baht?

baneko

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jeezo this thread dragged out some real cheapskates.

I'm with Don Mega on this one, but fifteen months for me on current lifestyle.

Much different story when the oil industry boots me out the door though!

Can't believe the 15k a month post, my electric bill, gardener and pool cleaning costs that.

Can't believe the 15k a month post, my electric bill, gardener and pool cleaning costs that.

Everyone is not the same!

Different locations / cheaper cost of living

I'm sure a guy who is in his late 60's/70's has no desire to go out and party every evening or even every week.

Lets hope that you keep your job.

Yeah, but when is a cheapskate actually someone with a longer event horizon than your own? smile.png

I remember years ago when oil was down near $10 a barrel. There was a car bumper sticker in Aberdeen that read, "Dear God, please give us another oil boom and we promise that this time we won't p**s it away". So, what happened when God granted their wish? cheesy.gif

You want to know the horrible truth about the oil industry? The people with the £800,000 worth of widely diversified investments and a modest lifestyle are the graduate geologists and geophysicists. The working guys, who're making more than enough dough to squirrel away a couple of hundred k over ten years fritter every penny. There's a reason for this. The people who get to study geoscience at Strathclyde or Edinburgh can control themselves, can see the future and can amuse themselves by doing something other than spending money.

Anyone who wants to persist with a belief system full of notions like "Cheap Charlies", "Spend it like you've got it", "There are no pockets in a shroud" and "You need to die poor" is setting themselves up for a real heart of darkness moment when not only do they have nothing they also realize that the roller-coaster is never going to go back up again. This is it: 8,000B a month from a small UK pension that won't be up-rated and not enough dough to avoid constantly going in and out of the country, terrified that you might not get a visa.

The great Machiavelli said that the time to build up the banks of the river is when the water is low. A lot of people have never wrapped their heads around that, and they never will.

Edited by Craig krup

at my current rate of spending it would give me 12 months or 1.00 years.

You have the wrong thread.

Look for 'What are the biggest lies foreigners tell in Thailand ?'

So, all of you think $85k is a lot of money, eh?

With a wife and kid, 3 million would last me 6 years. But then I don't have to pay for schooling, which would reduce that time by a couple of years.

If I were single, 3 million would last me over 8 years. I live on a rule of "one day on, one day off" - day on means I eat well, have a few beers and enjoy myself, whilst a day off means I cook at home and entertain myself with a film, book or the internet. On days off, I spend under 200B, on days on I spend around 1500B (on myself, the family adds more).

Its all up to you.

So to not become a cheapskate you need a gardener and someone to clean your private pool ?

Try to get out of the bubble you're living in . If you live in a condo and pay the rent 7k , electricity is maybe 1200 baht . They even have a swimming pool inside the condo complex. 15 k is working fine for some people .

Edited by balo

only 15k? lucky you!

as long as they don't spread insults the "cheapskates" should be excused. their ignorance is based on out of touch with reality.

So to not become a cheapskate you need a gardener and someone to clean your private pool ?

Try to get out of the bubble you're living in . If you live in a condo and pay the rent 7k , electricity is maybe 1200 baht . They even have a swimming pool inside the condo complex. 15 k is working fine for some people .

electricity only 1200 Baht = sweat is dripping in your lukewarm beer tongue.png

Despite that in order to save Bht3,000,000m, you need to be earning enough to save in the first place, it is not a great deal of money.

While ever the answer to the question: 'How long could you survive on Bht3,000,000?' is less that the time between now starting to do so and securing a replacement income stream you are faced with the fact that you will, when the money runs out, have to go back to work.

In that sense, 1 year is probably better then 4 years. If you take one year off you could relatively easily pick-up work again where you left off, if you take 3 or four years off you are going to struggle finding work and fitting back in again.

My advice is two fold:

1. If you need a break, take a break, but fix a limit on how much you are going to spend (perhaps a 1/3rd or a 1/2 of your savings), when you've spent that money get back on the big silver bird and go back to work.

2. During your break in Thailand - keep the wee fella covered.

No it's the cost of electricity in a small condo, and only one air-con used during the night

at my current rate of spending it would give me 12 months or 1.00 years.

You have the wrong thread.

Look for 'What are the biggest lies foreigners tell in Thailand ?'

and you have the wrong perspective or limited horizon.

look for "How do i get in touch with real life?" thumbsup.gif

Taking the OP literally and having no other funds except the 3 million baht, at my current outgoing expenditure rate of 1000 baht per day (which includes 300 baht per day for my visa), I could survive a little over 8 years.

House, land and car are all paid for. Have no expenses (nor commitments) outside of Thailand and no debt. In my case, only day-to-day living expenses are required.

1800 baht (or less) per month for electricity and, after tending the palm oil this morning, I'm sitting under the shade of mango tree (there's a slight westerly breeze blowing), in the back paddock, drinking a very cold beer on ice. (The bottles were sitting in ice, not ice in the beer.)

Well, at B1200 you sure aren't using the a/c—which in this weather, to me, is a cheapskate. Yeah, yeah, I know, there are those of you who say they do not like a/c—yeah, well, I don’t want a yacht, that’s why I don’t have one; really.

However, let's do the math—B8200 for rent and electricity. You don't use water? So, another B200, or do you still get it free? No cable TV, no internet—even the cheap services would be another several hundred baht/mo. Do you use a cell phone? What’s that, another bit of baht monthly?

Oh, do you use toothpaste, shampoo, soap, deodorant, razors, laundry soap, que tips, dental floss? Do you smoke? Yeah, you can get Thai tobacco and use the reed papers and keep a small oil lamp burning. Do you cook at home? If so, must be gas, electricity would cost too much. Do you boil everything, or do you use oil? I know you’re not using butter.

Do you ever need clothes, or do you just wear hand-me-downs? Are you ever sick, or do you have a pre-existing condition? Medication and doctor visits also cost. I suppose you could drink tap water, even warm; but sugar, cream, and tea or coffee also cost—or do you subscribe to the three cups of tea from one tea bag school of thought?

And, let us not forget those bothersome visa runs—never mind, just live on the border and you can walk back and forth and sleep on a park bench overnight, if they have a park bench; or you can do it even cheaper, just overstay.

Well, I think you get the point; there are a lot more expenses monthly than rent and electricity. That leaves a lot less than B6000/mo, maybe a lot less than B5000/month to spend. However, I’ll use B6000/mo as your non-cheapskate lifestyle budget—are you ready?

That amounts to two hundred baht per day, every day; yeah, $5.71, £3.98, or E5.09—guess you’re not doing McDonald’s or Starbuck’s, are you bunky? Mr. Steak would be out of the question too.

So, you’re on the economic level of a third country national laborer, but you have a decent place to stay?

Have a great time, don’t gain weight by eating too much plain rice or lose your eyesight drinking lao cao. Yeah, that’s it, nothing to drink, except free water, well not free if you pay B200/mo for it is it?

Met your type before.

Spending 500k baht on an engagement ring for some Thai burd.

Buying her a 2 million baht condo.

Then its back to Alberta to cross off the days til you come here next, wondering if your teelak is still waiting for you, thats if she even remembers you.

Knew a mug called Wyatt, he was so pleased to tell us his massage parlour girl wasnt a "working girl", she had her own condo and car in Pattaya.

Yeah good old Wyatt,another mug.

Despite that in order to save Bht3,000,000m, you need to be earning enough to save in the first place, it is not a great deal of money.

While ever the answer to the question: 'How long could you survive on Bht3,000,000?' is less that the time between now starting to do so and securing a replacement income stream you are faced with the fact that you will, when the money runs out, have to go back to work.

In that sense, 1 year is probably better then 4 years. If you take one year off you could relatively easily pick-up work again where you left off, if you take 3 or four years off you are going to struggle finding work and fitting back in again.

My advice is two fold:

1. If you need a break, take a break, but fix a limit on how much you are going to spend (perhaps a 1/3rd or a 1/2 of your savings), when you've spent that money get back on the big silver bird and go back to work.

My advice is two fold:

Nof offence to either the OP or GH.

My advice is twofold, if thats all you have after so long in the industry, you need to either change your IFA, or seek a new profession.

Alternatively,use the money to cross train.

I dont know your skills,career path or profession, but in todays world you need to be a renaissance man, have more than one string to your bow.

Use the money to gain further skills, its back to school for you matey boy, get your head in the books and gain internationally recognised skills that are transferable.

NDI/NDT get cross trained and go and work on aircraft etc etc.

Get some HSE qualifiactions.

But dont sit on yer backside feeling sorry for yourself, been there done that, get qualified and get mobile.

My advice is two fold:

My advice is two fold:

Nof offence to either the OP or GH.

My advice is twofold, if thats all you have after so long in the industry, you need to either change your IFA, or seek a new profession.

Alternatively,use the money to cross train.

I dont know your skills,career path or profession, but in todays world you need to be a renaissance man, have more than one string to your bow.

Use the money to gain further skills, its back to school for you matey boy, get your head in the books and gain internationally recognised skills that are transferable.

NDI/NDT get cross trained and go and work on aircraft etc etc.

Get some HSE qualifiactions.

But dont sit on yer backside feeling sorry for yourself, been there done that, get qualified and get mobile.

Thanks for the advice. Being multi skilled is the way to go. Luckily I already have NDT, Coatings and welding inspection certs.

Currently still working...but who knows the future.

Away tonight to sunny Angola! Happy days.

i caught my neighbor spanking his monkey. he left the curtain open in the evening and i could see in and he could not see out. we have separate vills but there is a common yard area with windows facing.

should i mention this to him, or ignore it? other suggestions.

things are not ever going to be the same over that beer. just looking for opinions on how to approach it.

I could easily SURVIVE (that is the word used by the OP) on B15,000 per month. For that I would have everything I needed, live somewhere really nice (for me) and eat what I like. This means my B3,000,000 could last me 15 years, all other things being equal.

The OP didn't mention other people or animals or schooling or buying cars in his scenario, none of which you need, to SURVIVE alone.

I am sure many of us could "survive" on this amount however I like to be happy in my life not just "survive" :)

I could easily SURVIVE (that is the word used by the OP) on B15,000 per month. For that I would have everything I needed, live somewhere really nice (for me) and eat what I like. This means my B3,000,000 could last me 15 years, all other things being equal.

The OP didn't mention other people or animals or schooling or buying cars in his scenario, none of which you need, to SURVIVE alone.

I am sure many of us could "survive" on this amount however I like to be happy in my life not just "survive" smile.png

I am very fortunate in my life - because of the way I think!

I like beautiful things, I like good food, I like to go places, I like a nice car. If I can't have any of those things I am disappointed but not hurt.

My philosophy is simple: When I have everything I need, what else do I need?

I am sure many of us could "survive" on this amount however I like to be happy in my life not just "survive" smile.png

I like beautiful things, I like good food, I like to go places, I like a nice car. If I can't have any of those things I am disappointed but not hurt.

time to work on why you are dissappointed without that new car then

if you do that and succeed you will find that you have much less money problems to worry about

time to work on why you are dissappointed without that new car then

if you do that and succeed you will find that you have much less money problems to worry about

For me, disappointment (that's the way you spell it) is not permanent or worrying for me. Disappointment is not life consuming and neither is it my euphemism for unhappiness, depression, lack of desire or failure. I stopped chasing money many years ago. You should believe me when I say I am happy with the way I think! I am happy with my life. I aspire to maintain my fantastic good health, my fitness, my very healthy attitude to life, freedom and being loved!

When it comes to success, what does that mean? For me it means achieving what I set out to do, however modest. You have just met a successful man!

1. I like beautiful things, I like good food, I like to go places, I like a nice car. If I can't have any of those things I am disappointed but not hurt.

2. My philosophy is simple: When I have everything I need, what else do I need?

1. wonderful words of wisdom and balm for the soul... for those who believe you.

2. ???crazy.gif???

Edited by Naam

1. I like beautiful things, I like good food, I like to go places, I like a nice car. If I can't have any of those things I am disappointed but not hurt.

2. My philosophy is simple: When I have everything I need, what else do I need?

1. wonderful words of wisdom and balm for the soul... for those who believe you.

2. ???crazy.gif???

You wouldn't expect me to write words of wisdom if I didn't know what they meant.

"When I have everything I need": For me, the essentials: food, water, shelter, health, freedom, love! Everything after that is desire; I don't NEED the things I desire.

Many Contributors on and off this thread consider desires as their essentials!

If you really want to understand the word "surviving" in this world, ask anyone who is always close to the threshold of not surviving.

My previous remarks about surviving on B15,000 per month allows me a level of comfort and contentment that I am genuinely happy with.