How long could survive on three million baht?

baneko

In the sticks? Ok. If you want a quiet life and are savvy about survival with Thai ways it could be as indefinite as you can manage it.

Depends on your status in where you live and your expectations of what you want.

Living off the interest of 3 mill will not be sufficient for a comfortable long stay. As has been said...how long is a piece of string?

How long do you want to " survive"?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well that depends on the quarterly intrest you would recieve. In that case it wouldn't be how long, but can you?

I'm sure you wouldn't be considering spending any of the 3 million. Although you could look at businesses for sale.

I replied to this subject because of the word SURVIVE in the title. My earlier remarks relate to what I would or could do or have done rather than what I actually do now.

When it comes to living on B15,000 a month, you will be very much mistaken if you believe I live in a 4k a month "room" and eat cart food every day. I eat my own cooking which is very varied and includes everything I want to eat, including fruit, vegetables fish and meat, western type bread, not to mention fresh orange juice and milk.

I have lived in a detached house in the countryside with all mod cons and two gardens B4000 per month. I have lived in a country house with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, living room AND 4 rai of land B5000 per month. I have lived in cottage with two rai of land with all facilities and plenty of room for B2500 per month. And for a year I lived in a row of three houses, three gardens, three bathrooms, all with hot showers, three kitchens, three living rooms, B5000 per month for the lot!! Yes, I love my space!

Am in wrong to think OP isn't referring to places in Thailand that are similar to Siberia or Alaska? Keep driving through the jungle to the borders and probably there will be a Hut for 1k.. Back to suicidal

Na your just wrong in thinking that foreigners that live anywhere but Pattaya or Bangkok or some other tourist trap and who don't need beer or hookers to survive must be suicidal

30,000 month in Bangkok would get u half.way reasonable studio apt . In block gym pool. Eat out most nights and transport. No matter who says nice cloths ain't THAT cheap. Want cheap and nasty. U could prob save on that. And the occasional weekends away would probably be budget.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You can quarter that in Chiang Mai and with looking around you could find something very reasonable.

If you invested it, and was lucky enough to buy a 10% yield, then a frugal person could live out the rest of their days on 3 M baht.

(3M*10% = B25,000 monthly income)

Such as ?

such as the chap with the 10% yielding investment in the Startrek episode "Beam Me Up Scotty" followed by the sequel "My 10% Wet Dream".

joke aside, investments yielding 10% do exist. of course with risks attached.

Isn't that guy in Pattaya offering a 10% return if you buy one of his ghetto shoebox apartments?

You know the ones - Jimmy Choo prices but JJ Market quality.

anybody offering 10% in Thailand? RUN!

If you could invest it at 5% interest, and survive on 400B a day, it would last indefinably.

Eventually inflation would chomp chomp...

I'm guessing OP inherited this money. It takes many years of hard work and sweat to save it as hard cash just to blow it away in a short period ...

Edited by mcfish

To be honest I don't understand why someone ask such a silly question. It all depend on how you spend. Are you on low spending or want to have fun all day. Will you stay in a nice condo or just small and cheap. Do the calculation it is simple. If you spend around 30 000 a month for a normal room and budget living you can survive 10 years.

It will last as long as I do. Most people figure out how to live with what they have. I would try to work out how lone it would take me to get a job that replaces today's income multiply that by 3 then plan to get by on 2million ... bad stuff happens so best have your backside covered

The minimum requirement for "visa extension" per the government is 65,000TB/month, and just a guess that the figure is based upon some standard. Bear in mind that you would likely need to keep 800,000 in the bank as there is no longer that 65,000 minimum income. So 2,200,000 divided by 65,000 would give you 33.8 months, and still have your 800,000 deposit to make your next arrangement.
I am a bit surprised at some of the housing estimates. Yes, I would enjoy a luxury condo, no doubt, but I have 30sq.m. including furnishings, water heater, AC., and TV, for 6,500tb. Electric and water added still is less than 10,000/month.
Beats the heck out of a cardboard box under a bridge abutment, I can tell you from experience, though only for a short time.biggrin.png

To answer your question with a question,,

The answer to your question is this ,,,

How long is a piece of string?

Use this formula to answer that question and

also the meaning of life.post-141778-0-60805700-1458197684_thumb.

Thus your answer,,, done, and to whom do i send the (duck) bill.

If you could invest it at 5% interest, and survive on 400B a day, it would last indefinably.

Eventually inflation would chomp chomp...

I'm guessing OP inherited this money. It takes many years of hard work and sweat to save it as hard cash just to blow it away in a short period ...

Inherited it.....working since 17 and since 24 offshore in search of black gold! ☺

Divide 3,000,000 by your average daily spending and the answer to your question will be the number of days you "could survive."

Possibly you could add a few more days ?

Hi cracker the question was you!

The minimum requirement for "visa extension" per the government is 65,000TB/month, and just a guess that the figure is based upon some standard. Bear in mind that you would likely need to keep 800,000 in the bank as there is no longer that 65,000 minimum income. So 2,200,000 divided by 65,000 would give you 33.8 months, and still have your 800,000 deposit to make your next arrangement.

I am a bit surprised at some of the housing estimates. Yes, I would enjoy a luxury condo, no doubt, but I have 30sq.m. including furnishings, water heater, AC., and TV, for 6,500tb. Electric and water added still is less than 10,000/month.

Beats the heck out of a cardboard box under a bridge abutment, I can tell you from experience, though only for a short time.biggrin.png

I get a non o from savannakhet as im married. Still 43 so no retirement visa yet. ☺

30sq.m is only one rung up the ladder from a cardboard box under a bridge though. Each to their own of course but not something i would even consider.

To each there own, for sure.

Having lived in a military barracks, crew quarters cabin aboard a freighter, and other less luxurious accommodations, I find 30sq. m quite comfy, even when my gf stays. Her place is nearly half the size.

We are def not hiso.tongue.png