Volunteer in Thai temple (helping around, driving car/van etc.) visa and docs req.?

Hi guys, I want to help and do volunteer work in one temple in Isaan.

I already talked to the leader of temple and he agreed to give me small house to live in.

I have Thai wife and already have 1 year non O multi entry visa based in marriage.

Also, is there a option to live with wife in different location and on daytime work in temple?

What more I need to get to be able to work there?

Thanks in advance.

Since you already have a visa that allows you to work all you would need is a work permit.

There would be no reason you would to have to live at the temple.

Thanks. So, I will only need letter from temple leader and give it to immigration or?

Immigration has nothing to do with work permits

The "leader" will have to apply to your work permit at the local Labour office.

Since you already have a visa that allows you to work all you would need is a work permit.

Thanks. So, I will only need letter from temple leader and give it to immigration or?

I understand. This means that after I get WP I can stay 1 year in the country or I still have to leave every 90 days?

It's confusing :S

I understand. This means that after I get WP I can stay 1 year in the country or I still have to leave every 90 days?

You have to leave every 90 days.

You could try to get an 1-year extension based on volunteering.

The WP will not alter your visa or the need to leave every 90 days.

The WP is just a permit which allows you to work legally.

If you want to cease leaving every 90 days the apply for a one year "extension of stay based on marriage" at your local immigration office. To get the extension you will need 400,000Bht in a Thai bank or a certified income of 40,000 Bht .

1. I am not sure you can get a work permit with a non-o visa. I certainly couldn't. The labour department wanted to see a business visa before they started working on the work permit.

2. I all countries, and especially in a place like Thailand, there are rules, regulations and laws that are not enforced. For example, when it comes to work permits there are situations when the law is strictly enforced and it is important to have the little blue book from day one, there are situations where it is "medium risky" to work without a work permit, and situations when there is absolutely no risk to "work" without a work permit. The labour department would proudly look the other way. What about working as a volunteer in a Buddhist temple ? What do you think ? Use your imagination.

To go a little off topic. I read somewhere that there are about 11 million people in the US that work without the proper documentation. That is an example from the west of a law that is more or less strictly enforced.

1. I am not sure you can get a work permit with a non-o visa. I certainly couldn't. The labour department wanted to see a business visa before they started working on the work permit.

2. I all countries, and especially in a place like Thailand, there are rules, regulations and laws that are not enforced. For example, when it comes to work permits there are situations when the law is strictly enforced and it is important to have the little blue book from day one, there are situations where it is "medium risky" to work without a work permit, and situations when there is absolutely no risk to "work" without a work permit. The labour department would proudly look the other way. What about working as a volunteer in a Buddhist temple ? What do you think ? Use your imagination.

To go a little off topic. I read somewhere that there are about 11 million people in the US that work without the proper documentation. That is an example from the west of a law that is more or less strictly enforced.

1. What was your non-o based upon. A work permit can be obtained with a non-o based upon marriage to a Thai. Volunteers get non-o visas also and get work permits.

As others have correctly pointed out you technically need a work permit.

That being said, many foreigners volunteer at temples, orphanages, elephant rescue centres etc with no work permit.

Can you imagine the bad karma a Thai official would expect to get if by prosecuting someone volunteering and a place like that.