Wanted Canadian drug trafficker arrested in Bangkok

webfact

550,000 baht is an awful lot of money to pay for a counterfeit Thai license. Perhaps he should have stuck to buying a stolen passport or a fake one.

Why come to Thailand if he knew he was a wanted criminal? There are many other countries that would have loved his money and don't have extradition. Well, he partied hard her I am sure. Now he will spend the rest of his days with only men at his side. Good riddance.

If you buy a fake/stolen passport, it would be wise to use it in countries OTHER than where it was (supposedly) issued, and where its lack of legitimacy is almost sure to be recognised.

OTOH if your faked ID card is good enough to get you a real passport, there is no reason for Immigration to question the passport's legitimacy.

His ID card was probably genuine but you have to pay the issuing office some cash to obtain it. Many hilltribe people or children of the Guomintang have to pay if they want an ID card as they don't qualify for one by law.

With his ID card he could obtain a genuine passport and travel worry free. How good are his Thai reading and writing skills and pronounciation? That may be his weak point.

550,000 baht is an awful lot of money to pay for a counterfeit Thai license. Perhaps he should have stuck to buying a stolen passport or a fake one.

Why come to Thailand if he knew he was a wanted criminal? There are many other countries that would have loved his money and don't have extradition. Well, he partied hard her I am sure. Now he will spend the rest of his days with only men at his side. Good riddance.

At his side? Hmm methinks not.

He paid the money for fake ID ! which enabled him to gain a fake- real Thai passport ! which he used 14 times !

I found this rather amazing. It was a big leap to use a phony ID card to get a passport. Had they detected that it was phony (hmm well maybe they are not smart enough and he played on this feature) he would have been immediately exposed. Are ID cards that easy to copy or make? Methinks the government should spend money here and revamp the ID card system with a computer chip or something.

Edited by elgordo38

Don't these drug dealers ever have enough? Do they just keep spending and wanting more? I am not sad they got caught and stopped. It just seems that they always are multi million this, multi million that. I guess they have expenses or a lifestyle they want to maintain. I question the statement "his native Canada", although it certainly is possible he was born in Canada.

Canada has lots of Asians . Some of the families are third and fourth generation in Canada. This criminal can certainly be a Canadian born Canadian citizen.

Don't these drug dealers ever have enough? Do they just keep spending and wanting more? I am not sad they got caught and stopped. It just seems that they always are multi million this, multi million that. I guess they have expenses or a lifestyle they want to maintain. I question the statement "his native Canada", although it certainly is possible he was born in Canada.

Canada has lots of Asians . Some of the families are third and fourth generation in Canada. This criminal can certainly be a Canadian born Canadian citizen.

"This criminal can certainly be a Canadian born Canadian citizen."

He would have been, had he been born in Canada, which he wasn't.. He was born in Laos and emigrated to Canada and has citizenship.

He paid the money for fake ID ! which enabled him to gain a fake- real Thai passport ! which he used 14 times !

I found this rather amazing. It was a big leap to use a phony ID card to get a passport. Had they detected that it was phony (hmm well maybe they are not smart enough and he played on this feature) he would have been immediately exposed. Are ID cards that easy to copy or make? Methinks the government should spend money here and revamp the ID card system with a computer chip or something.
What makes you think the ID card itself is phoney ?..one suspects the ID card is very real and the person concerned is in the system as a Thai citizen, thats what he has paid the 550k for...once he has a legit Thai ID card, getting the passport is the easy bit, the guy is from Lao's originally and will bet he speaks passable Thai as well, maybe even reads and writes

Not so amazing now is it ?...but be sure to pass on your expert advice about new ID cards and chips, not that it would make one bit of a difference if someone has been put in the system by fraudulant means

Edited by Bobotie

" I question the statement "his native Canada", although it certainly is possible he was born in Canada."

Khamla Wong, aka Khamla Siharaj is a Lao born landed immigrant to Canada. Canada has revoked his passport.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Accused+international+drug+smuggler+believed+hiding+Asia+Europe/11333190/story.html

I recently read that about 50% of British Columbians (Western Canada) are of Asian ethnicity.

Sounds wrong. 43% of the City of Vancouver is asian. Province of British Columbia would be much less.

It wasnt a Thai license it was a Thai ID, not the same thing and would venture it wasnt a fake Thai ID, but a real one with his details on and thats why is was 550k

That was my take too. And if they are smart they will give him leniency to go after the people selling real Thai ID cards to criminals. That should be the real story because that enables really bad people to run around this country without worry. No ISIS here though.

Yes, but the reality is if he grassed them up, he would never get to testify.