Advice needed on 90 extension to Non-immigrant B visa

Hi all

I've been reading the forums and I'm looking for confirmation. I'm hoping someone knowledgeable can help.

My non-immigrant B visa and work permit expires next week Thursday 24 March. I will not be continuing working for the company after this.

It seems from things I have read that it if I leave and re-enter the Kingdom BEFORE the expiration of my non-immigrant B visa (say on Tuesday or Wednesday next week), then I will automatically get another 90 day extension of stay, even though the original visa expires on the 24th. This, I understand, would give me a fully legal 15 month stay.

Could someone please indicate to me if this understanding is correct?

Thanks

Would termination of employment on the 24th not invalidate this 90 day extension of stay?

Additional information: my non B and work permit was granted in-country on the basis of employment (BOI). I assume that the consequent extension of stay granted (all done at the BOI offices) was also granted on the basis of employment

As a follow up question, I'm really trying to see how I can gain more time. Packing up an entire condo in 7 days and shipping it overseas is challenging. So, either I can avail myself of the additional 90 day extension possibility, which may not be available in my case, or perhaps I can go out and come back in on a tourist visa, however then I am concerned about being denied entry after the see a back to back work permit and tourist visa.

So this is not an not a non B visa then?

You have a valid non-b visa for about a minute until they stamped it used and stamped a 90 day permit to stay in your passport. You then a applied for and received a one year extension of stay until the 24th of this month.

As a follow up question, I'm really trying to see how I can gain more time. Packing up an entire condo in 7 days and shipping it overseas is challenging. So, either I can avail myself of the additional 90 day extension possibility, which may not be available in my case, or perhaps I can go out and come back in on a tourist visa, however then I am concerned about being denied entry after the see a back to back work permit and tourist visa.

You certainly will not get a 90 day extension.

Your extension of stay will not prevent you from getting a tourist visa and then entering the country. If you qualify for it you could even do a out/in trip to get a 30 day visa exempt entry and then extend it for a 30 days at immigration.

So this is not an not a non B visa then?

You have a valid non-b visa for about a minute until they stamped it used and stamped a 90 day permit to stay in your passport. You then a applied for and received a one year extension of stay until the 24th of this month.

You certainly will not get a 90 day extension.

Your extension of stay will not prevent you from getting a tourist visa and then entering the country. If you qualify for it you could even do a out/in trip to get a 30 day visa exempt entry and then extend it for a 30 days at immigration.

Thanks for the clarification. Everything was done by the company - I just handed them my passport and signed a few papers, so I wasn't entirely clued up on what was happening. Your explanation makes things clearer.
Regarding the tourist visa, is there an appreciable risk of denial of entry if I leave the country on the 25th and return the same day? I fear they'll see the expired extension of stay linked to the non-B and may ask questions. Leaving the country and coming back in is no problem for me (financially speaking). The value of the contents in my condo far exceeds any flight ticket....

Leave and return and you will get a Visa Exempt Entry. It is not a Visa.

You will get 30 or 15 days depending on your nationality.

Also, leaving on the 25th will give you one day overstay. 500 Baht fine.

It would be better if you left and returned without the overstay, especially after the new rules kick in on 20th March.

Get stopped on the way to the airport/border and you could be banned from entering Thailand for 5 years.

http://www.immigration.go.th/

Edited by Eclipse

Thanks for the clarification. Everything was done by the company - I just handed them my passport and signed a few papers, so I wasn't entirely clued up on what was happening. Your explanation makes things clearer.

Regarding the tourist visa, is there an appreciable risk of denial of entry if I leave the country on the 25th and return the same day? I fear they'll see the expired extension of stay linked to the non-B and may ask questions. Leaving the country and coming back in is no problem for me (financially speaking). The value of the contents in my condo far exceeds any flight ticket....
  • If you want a tourist visa you need to apply at a Thai embassy/consulate in a neighbouring country. That requires an overnight stay.
  • You can do a land border hop on the 24th and get a 15/30 day visa exempt entry. 30 days for G7 nationals. Or fly out/in for 30 days.
  • You won't be denied entry with a tourist visa or using visa exempt entry and either can be extended by 30 days at immigration if needed.