Will Amity Be Extended Again?

Does anyone know if Amity will be extended after the Dec 5th expiration of the current 90 day extension?

Pete

The USA Thai Amity Treaty has not expired. This is a misconception. If you read the text of the treaty it had an initial 10 year term. After the initial term the treaty remains in full force until either party (USA or Thailand) gives the other party one year notice of their intent to withdraw from the treaty. To date neither country has expressed any interest in discontinuing the treaty. So even if one party decides to end their participation in the treaty, everyone will have one year notice.

Does anyone know if Amity will be extended after the Dec 5th expiration of the current 90 day extension?

Pete

The USA Thai Amity Treaty has not expired. This is a misconception. If you read the text of the treaty it had an initial 10 year term. After the initial term the treaty remains in full force until either party (USA or Thailand) gives the other party one year notice of their intent to withdraw from the treaty. To date neither country has expressed any interest in discontinuing the treaty. So even if one party decides to end their participation in the treaty, everyone will have one year notice.

They did stop taking new applications in January of this year and reopened it in March. Since then its been getting extended for new applications in 90 day terms. The last term( in Sept) they said they would extend, then we got a call the next day saying to "hold the phone, they were still in talks" At the last moment they extended it for another 90 days. With the new government, no news what will happen in December on new applications. We STRONGLY advocate to do it now, if you have been thinking about it.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Pete

Listen to Sunbelt. I even double checked with the U.S. Embassy and got the same response as from Sunbelt. Although it is true what you read the U.S.A. was officially notified of the intent of Thailand to withdraw from the treaty based on the expected FTA negotiations outcome, but, since those are a ways off due to the present situation, they might extend again? Maybe? Possibly? then again NOT!! I suggest do it now, mine is in the pipeline now!

AFAIK the issue is not that either country particularly wants to withdraw, but that it breaches WTO regulations regarding favouritism of one nationality over others (i.e. Americans vs. everyone else).

But I guess at some point it will go the way of the steam engine, telegraphs, wing collars and flared polyester pants.

A question, I'm about to set up a company to "get legal". As a US citizen

what would be the difference of a Amity Treaty company over the regular

company ? Thanks

As a US citizen, under the Amnity Treaty you are able to own your business !00%, the rest of us falang can only own 49% and up to 60% of the business depending on FTA agreements.

• 3 months later...