Best & Worst Airports In Asia Poll

bubba

Best Major Airport in Asia  

322 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Narita all the way!

I loooove Narita. There's a "last chance for sushi before leaving Japan" sushi restaurant on the way to boarding, and the sushi is ACTUALLY GOOD. You can also mail last chance postcards 2 seconds before boarding and get special stamps from the airport.

holy ######, i love that place.

the bad side is it's a million hours from tokyo, so forget taking a taxi into town, it's like 600$.

another strange detail about narita is that someone must have a university student fetish over there, because i'm always getting hit on by old korean and japanese business man when i set foot in the place.

Narita all the way!

I loooove Narita. There's a "last chance for sushi before leaving Japan" sushi restaurant on the way to boarding, and the sushi is ACTUALLY GOOD. You can also mail last chance postcards 2 seconds before boarding and get special stamps from the airport.

holy ######, i love that place.

the bad side is it's a million hours from tokyo, so forget taking a taxi into town, it's like 600$.

another strange detail about narita is that someone must have a university student fetish over there, because i'm always getting hit on by old korean and japanese business man when i set foot in the place.

They all have a schoolgirl fetish. Just watch Kill Bill.

Really bad: Delhi, Islamabad, Manila, Kathmandu

Very nice: Singapore, Hong Kong, KL, Cobra Swamp (it's true, I like it)

I haven't seen Incheon, I hated their old Airport though

I completely agree with the foregoing (except Islamabad....havent tried it yet..but will be completely content if I never do)

Kathmandu airport is a complete joke..(I was looking for the "Candid Camera" lens and hoping someone would pop out and say "just kidding, we will take you to the real airport")... Delhi OMG! even the business class lounge was amazingly crowded and depressing....

Incheon sounds great from all accounts, but Ive only tried the previous one years ago....

Ive been through Manila several times this year and must go again this month.....god...people in this forum complain so ferociously about Suvaranphum? their complaints really ring hollow (or they dont travel much other than through Singapore or HK....)...

Voted Narita as the best, love the easy access to food, gift shops and rooms, friendly staff, large and clean bathrooms (that I would probably feel comfortable sleeping in, not that I would =) and automated flight checking =)

Voted Bangkok's new airport as the worst because it was a downgrade to the old one. Resembles a greenhouse, the bathrooms are poorly made and there's no scenery on the way there. Also, it's further out from everything than the old airport.

Voted Bangkok's new airport as the worst because it was a downgrade to the old one. Resembles a greenhouse, the bathrooms are poorly made and there's no scenery on the way there. Also, it's further out from everything than the old airport.

Not from Chonburi, Sri Racha, Pattaya, etc.

Cheers

Onzestan

I am going to go out on my own little limb here and say the best is Vientiane!

It's compact straight to the point - you can check in and be waiting at the gate in the space of 5 minutes. This is what an airport should be - I arrive, I check-in, pass through immigration and relax in the space of minutes. Also you don't have to arrive hours on end before the flight and sit around doing squat!

Arrival wise the only downside is the visa on arrival processing if you need it. Otherwise you're in and out again in very short period of time.

Taxi's are at a set rate regardless no scams and on that mark it is hassle free. Yeah walk into a bit of a crowd on arrival but once past it you'll only get ask if you need a taxi or by folks hold card for courtesy cars to hotels.

Also the parking is right outside the building - I want spend the least amount of time I can in and airport and Vientiane ticks all those boxes perfectly.

The lounge ain't bad either.

Worst - Sorry but I still dispise Swampy for being such a pain in the arse and so long winded to get through and use.

Edited by technocracy

Worst, Easy - Dhaka wins hands down for me, closely followed by Delhi and Manila. Jakarta isn't much cop either, and not helped by it's location.

Best for me Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Hong Kong. Considering BKK is the newest it still comes know were near those three for quality and efficiency.

To me, Singapore is the best airport because it is not only clean and spacious, but they have free activities.. I think they show a movie, but we've never gone into the theatre. Once, they sponsored a game show. It was pretty funny to watch. It's been awhile since we've been there, but I think they also have free Internet access.

The worse one is somewhere in China -- I think I blanked it out of my mind..

The Manila nightmare for over 55's- no escalators and they only let wheelchair people and airline staff use the one elevator- so its flights of stairs dragging your bags.... twice when transiting Manila airport personnel FORGOT to move my luggage to the new plane (all different airlines). Also, several times the security has been ridiculous- i.e. making people wearing rubber zorries actually take off their shoes, scrutinizing them, and holding up everyone through one line only for this.

Another Manila airport complaint are these huge lines of people going out of the country on work permits, snaking lines that interfere with the other airline passenger lines.

The taxi drivers try to get you to go to a different hotel than you arranged and booked. All and all, I now do everything possible to avoid going through Manila.

Edited by mindweave

Kuala Lumpur is great- wireless internet everywhere and great shops, beautiful art on the walls- yes, should be on list and would get my vote for best,

Although, Singapore got my vote for the free minibus trips around the city if you have more than a four hour layover. If it is your second time with a long layover, the even take you on a free boat tour- and get you back to the airport in time for your plane.

Changi Airport must be the top airport in Asia IMO.

I ain't been everywhere, but Kathmandu wasn't up to much, and Narita would score a lot higher if it wasn't so far away from downtown Tokyo!!

Narita is a pain in the azz coz the time it takes to get there.

Not from Chonburi, Sri Racha, Pattaya, etc.

Cheers

Onzestan

well that would be it's ONLY advantage.. As for the longest walks ever taken, worst delays regularly occuring ,, a real "winner" btw. never had any aircraft arrive or depart Suvannapuke with less than 30min delay !! & i've used it @ least 50 ++times al'dy

BIIG downgrade from good ole Don Meuang ..(btw, its actually has less capacity than 2+ terminals in old airport had, hence might be the constant delays

Goshawk beat me to it - also wanted to mention Samui as the best. So silly that it's a delight. :D

While we're on small airports, I have to mention the shed + grass airstrip on Coron Island (Philippines). I still remember the 6-seater revving it's engine (yes - one) for take-off when a guy came running out of the shed waving a calculator and a piece of paper. Pilot cut the engine to chat with him and it turned out that he had re-checked his figures and we were badly overweight (mainly due to them having loaded too many boxes of fish). Given that the airstrip finished at the foot of a large hill, we all had visions of how close we had come to being turned into a fried-fish gumbo splattered all over the slope.......... :o

That aside - it's a great place. Worst? Has to be Manila, of course.

Goshawk beat me to it - also wanted to mention Samui as the best. So silly that it's a delight. :D

While we're on small airports, I have to mention the shed + grass airstrip on Coron Island (Philippines). I still remember the 6-seater revving it's engine (yes - one) for take-off when a guy came running out of the shed waving a calculator and a piece of paper. Pilot cut the engine to chat with him and it turned out that he had re-checked his figures and we were badly overweight (mainly due to them having loaded too many boxes of fish). Given that the airstrip finished at the foot of a large hill, we all had visions of how close we had come to being turned into a fried-fish gumbo splattered all over the slope.......... :o

That aside - it's a great place. Worst? Has to be Manila, of course.

worst i've been to has to be pataya ,food was terrible ,made me sick ........

Pyongyang

As good or bad? I imagine it'd be a 1960s futuristic airport with crumbling Jetson-esque architecture and no one there.

As for me, my vote for best major airport goes to HK- especially if one lives in HK and can zip through immigration via the thumb-print scanners.

just passed through singapore's changi last weekend on a 2 hour layover en route to oz, and was pleasantly reminded why it's just leagues ahead of the rest. the 2 plus hours whizzed by, they had an art exhibition on the 3rd floor, a little drawing and play area for kids, a cozy lounge screening live sports from all over the world, a busy gym on the second floor (made me wonder where on earth all those threadmill joggers came from, did they pack their hand carry bags expecting a gym workout at changi?), 24 hour dining, the famous Harry's jazz bar was kicking, free wireless broadband, quiet reading areas, great shopping and lots of sitting areas for just people watching. and everywhere you look its just information, direction signs, suggestions. its not the hardware, its the software that makes changi such a buzz.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why everyone is bagging manila, have never had any problems there.

personally, being a bit lazy and usually in a hurry, I'd have to say Phnom Penh for speed and its comfortable with nice smokng lounge and free 555,s always in and out very fast with minimum walking.

Hong Kong is too big and you can walk for heaps and get stuck at immigration for ages.

worst airport, seam reape (but maybe its changed now)

oh, and saigon sucks if in transit.

It was hard to pick between Singapore and Hong Kong. What forced my vote was the airport hotel. Sure you have to walk outside to get to the hotel, but you have windows. Singapore's hotel is claustraphobic. (The winner for worst access would be BKK's Novotel)

Manila and Delhi are filthy, horrible & dangerous.

just passed through singapore's changi last weekend on a 2 hour layover en route to oz, and was pleasantly reminded why it's just leagues ahead of the rest. the 2 plus hours whizzed by, they had an art exhibition on the 3rd floor, a little drawing and play area for kids, a cozy lounge screening live sports from all over the world, a busy gym on the second floor (made me wonder where on earth all those threadmill joggers came from, did they pack their hand carry bags expecting a gym workout at changi?), 24 hour dining, the famous Harry's jazz bar was kicking, free wireless broadband, quiet reading areas, great shopping and lots of sitting areas for just people watching. and everywhere you look its just information, direction signs, suggestions. its not the hardware, its the software that makes changi such a buzz.

I'll go along with that, Singapore Airport is exceptional, Hong Kong is OK, but it's huge = lots of walking, for some that could be a problem.

I can only see one clear winner, Changi.

There might be better or worse airports in Asia other than the ones listed here, but staying with the "major" ones, which ones would you vote for?
The best, bangkok, because ive arrived here !, the worst, london heathrow, its like coming down off the worst drugs possible and you are back in a gloomy country with equally gloomy people,.