Multiple tourist visa to Either O or Marriage Visa

Hi,

Long story short, I've always had an O visa from the UK because of my Thai/British daughter. This time it was refused because I'm not married to my daughters mother. I agreed to a METV which is valid till beginning of July. I've just received my Decree Absolute and will return to Thailand next week.

My daughter and her mother has spent a total of 18 months in the UK in the past 3 years.

First question. I'm shipping all my possessions from the UK to our address in Thailand on my current METV, will this be a problem?

Second question. Can I convert my METV to either an O visa or marriage visa in Thailand or do I have to go back to the UK to do this?

Many thanks for your help.

Paul.

First: You will almost certainly be charged import taxes on your personal household possessions.

Only returning Thai citizens, foreigners holding Work permits and those with PR status are exempt as far as I'm aware.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects+/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

Second: There is an internal procedure to change your Visa status from the METV to an O Visa at Bangkok Immigration, however as your daughter is a Thai citizen, it would probably be simpler to get an O Visa issued at Savanakhet, Lao, based on having a dependant Thai child.

There is no such thing as a Marriage Visa!

To remain in Thailand on a more permanent basis, you must hold a Non Imm Visa, then within the last 30 days of it's validity you can apply for a 12 month extension of stay based on retirement, marriage, or supporting a dependant Thai child, at a local Immigration office.

There are financial requirements to meet and supporting documentation.

You will not be able to do a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa entry or apply for an extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai at immigration until you legitimize your parenthood. See: How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

You can a single entry non-o visa at most embassies and consulates with your name on your child birth certificate. You can also get 60 day extensions at immigration to visit your child.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet with no financial proof if you child and their mother are with you when you apply to prove you are living together as a family (de facto marriage). You can get one in Penang without your family being with you if you can show at least 100k baht in the bank or proof of income.

You don't need any visa to import household goods. Unless you can prove your families residence in the UK for a year you will have to pay import duty. Your child's mother would also have to be the one doing the shipment and importation.

Excuse me, and redirect me, please, if this ? has been answered previously.

A friend who has been living here, is on her 3rd extension, which expires in May. She plans to travel to EU in August, and return to Thailand. Does she have any options this year. ? Overstaying is out of the question.

Obviously next time she returns to stay longer, she will have to apply for a non-O visa extension ( she is 50+) Thanks,

A friend who has been living here, is on her 3rd extension, which expires in May. She plans to travel to EU in August, and return to Thailand. Does she have any options this year. ? Overstaying is out of the question.

Obviously next time she returns to stay longer, she will have to apply for a non-O visa extension ( she is 50+) Thanks,

She can apply for another extension and get a re-entry permit to keep it valid when she returns after her trip in August.

You will not be able to do a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa entry or apply for an extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai at immigration until you legitimize your parenthood. See: How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

You can a single entry non-o visa at most embassies and consulates with your name on your child birth certificate. You can also get 60 day extensions at immigration to visit your child.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet with no financial proof if you child and their mother are with you when you apply to prove you are living together as a family (de facto marriage). You can get one in Penang without your family being with you if you can show at least 100k baht in the bank or proof of income.

You don't need any visa to import household goods. Unless you can prove your families residence in the UK for a year you will have to pay import duty. Your child's mother would also have to be the one doing the shipment and importation.

My partner has been to the UK 3 times in the last 3 years but only on a 6 month visa each time. Would it be possible for me to do the paperwork in her name and would import tax apply? How much is import tax? The goods I'm hoping to send are pans, pots, clothes, small kitchen appliances, bedding, pictures etc. There will be no furniture etc

My partner has been to the UK 3 times in the last 3 years but only on a 6 month visa each time. Would it be possible for me to do the paperwork in her name and would import tax apply? How much is import tax? The goods I'm hoping to send are pans, pots, clothes, small kitchen appliances, bedding, pictures etc. There will be no furniture etc

Check the link

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects+/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

If the goods are imported under your wife's name be aware the Customs Officers may want sight of her passport to assure themselves she is, in fact, a returning Thai resident.

She can apply for another extension and get a re-entry permit to keep it valid when she returns after her trip in August.
Thanks, Joe...but the problem still exists as to what can she do, to stay in Thailand legally, between May and the date she leaves in August. Incidentally, she has 800,000 in her Thai bank account. Would this give her the option of applying for a Retirement extension, BEFORE she leaves Thailand ? Thanks.

Thanks, Joe...but the problem still exists as to what can she do, to stay in Thailand legally, between May and the date she leaves in August. Incidentally, she has 800,000 in her Thai bank account. Would this give her the option of applying for a Retirement extension, BEFORE she leaves Thailand ? Thanks.

Yes she could. I assumed that she has been doing that already since you wrote she had done 3 extension already.

What has the lady been extending ?

If the lady wants to retire she must first obtain a single entry non "O" visa from a Thai Embassy /Consulate based on being over 50 -- she will need her updated bank book showing the 800K to get the visa.

She can then apply for an extension of stay based on retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 the visa will provide.