Any Problems With Getting a Visa on Arrival (VOA) in Vietnam?

Hello Everyone.

We are going in two weeks to Hanoi, Vietnam for a holiday and it will be the first time for me to get the visa on arrival (VOA) there. It seems fairly easy and simple, but I wanted to check and make sure there will be no problems or surprises. Has anyone had any problems with this Hanoi, Vietnam VOA before, or is there any other potential problem/s I should be aware of? Thanks for any and all comments you can offer.

• Like 1

There is a large sign at the Vietnam Embassy here in BKK advising people not to do it. It is private companies that set up the "letter" to submit at immigration for you to obtain the VOA on arrival, not the government. So if something goes wrong, you will not be entering the country.

Much easier to just go to the embassy on Wireless road. Have done it twice within a year. No problems at all.

• Like 2

there is NO VISA ON ARRIVAL

it is a pre approved visa that you pay for online, ( same as for Myanmar)

just show up and expect anything will find you on the next flight out

IF the airlines even allows you to board

Obviously the British Government should have consulted you before telling citizens they can enter Vietnam without a visa !

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/vietnam/entry-requirements

• Like 1

Obviously the British Government should have consulted you before telling citizens they can enter Vietnam without a visa !

What does the British government have to do with this???? The OP is Canadian and Canadians entering Vietnam require a visa. There were a number of European countries that have been granted visa waivers for up to 15 days on entry, but Canada is apparently not a European country and unless my history is lacking - is no longer part of Britain. I do find the visa waiver status to only a few European countries to actually be more confusing for people seeking them since when I was at the Embassy (Vietnam) last -- there were Germans trying to get a visa and told - no you do not... and they just are left with an uneasy feeling like something is wrong....

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 2

The airline will not allow to board.

• Like 1

What does the British government have to do with this???? The OP is Canadian and Canadians entering Vietnam require a visa. There were a number of European countries that have been granted visa waivers for up to 15 days on entry, but Canada is apparently not a European country and unless my history is lacking - is no longer part of Britain. I do find the visa waiver status to only a few European countries to actually be more confusing for people seeking them since when I was at the Embassy (Vietnam) last -- there were Germans trying to get a visa and told - no you do not... and they just are left with an uneasy feeling like something is wrong....

It just is a demonstration of how wrong some people can be when they insist on making emphatic blanket statements !

I did not claim the OP did not require a visa but merely pointed out that those who claim there are no visas on arrival are wrong in their belief that everyone needs a visa !

It just is a demonstration of how wrong some people can be when they insist on making emphatic blanket statements !

I did not claim the OP did not require a visa but merely pointed out that those who claim there are no visas on arrival are wrong in their belief that everyone needs a visa !

The funny thing here is that you use Britain as an example -- and there is no visa on arrival in the traditional sense for British citizens.... they have a visa waiver for up to 15 days.

I think the blanket statement is fine, since Vietnam's "visa on arrival" - you have to apply for it before you leave and get a confirmation letter from the Vietnamese immigration services. It would be more aptly called "visa reservation". If you tell most experienced travellers there is "visa on arrival" they get the idea that they don't have to make plans other than maybe making sure they have photos ready before they board the flight.

• Like 1

My sister flew in to HCMC yesterday and said it was absolute chaos trying to get the visa on arrival. If more than one flight arrives at the same time it could be fairly time consuming. Up to you, but I'd try and do it online before you go.

It is even more stressful if you are a first time traveller to the country. My opinion might also be coloured by the fact that the embassy is rather central and I pass by closely often - so just taking 20 minutes to drop off the application and maybe 10 to 15 to pick it up a few days later - is a lot less hectic than doing it at the airport. When I land, I want to get out the door and to my destination as soon as possible with as little frustration as possible.

Just be thankful it is better than Bangladesh' visa on arrival.... I did that once and the only thing that saved me was that I was treated as a VIP (i.e. I had someone come through immigration and put me first in each line for processing).... and even with that it took an hour... if I were treated like normal people I would have been there all day..... (1 processed every 10 minutes and the line ran to the back of the hall).

• Like 1

Brits do NOT get a visa on arrival

they get a visa exempt stamp same as when westerners fly onto Thailand

Starting from 01/July/2015 to 30/06/2016, visitors from the following countries may not need a visa to Vietnam for less than 15 days: Germany, France, the UK, Italy, and Spain.

Note it expires end of June

http://www.myvietnamvisa.com/vietnam-visa-exemption.html

SO I repeat there is no visa on arrival for Vietnam!!!!

Cambodia, Laos you do get a visa on arrival

Myanmar, Vietnam you APPLY online for a pre approved visa which you also show when you board your flight.

• Like 2

https://vietnamvisa.govt.vn/apply-online/

As a (french) frequent traveller to VN I can attest that there is absolutely no problem if you follow the procedure (see website above).

By the way, depending on your nationality, if you are staying less than 15 days and hold a valid return ticket you need no visa at all, not even an immigration form.Just proceed to immigration when you arrive, they scan your passport and give you 15 days max, easy and free. You cannot come back to VN on the same exemption scheme less than 1 month after the last exit though, if you need to do so then you will need a visa.

• Like 1

Can I remind posters that the OP is Canadian and as such requires a visa, or a visa on arrival sourced from a commercial tour operator.

The OP is neither British or French, so please lets not confuse him with comments that don't address the OP's question.

@Divendguy, your options are to either apply for a visa in your home country or here in Thailand, or to purchase a letter from a commercial operator which should allow you to travel and purchase your visa on your arrival in Vietnam. Whilst, as has been pointed out, Vietnamese Consular staff specifically advise against the commercial letter route, they will process you on arrival in Vietnam, though it can be a bit of a scrum when you arrive there. If you have the time to secure a visa before you leave, you go straight to the Immigration Officer and get stamped in.

• Like 2

In Hanoi, I used the VOA procedure twice in the past 3 months and never waited more than 20 minutes to get my stamp at the airport so I see it as a very convenient procedure, certainly better than having to queue at some embassy. The only drawback if you are short on the $ side is that you pay twice, once online to get the "Approval Letter" and a second time to get your visa stamp upon arrival...

• Like 1

Brits do NOT get a visa on arrival

they get a visa exempt stamp same as when westerners fly onto Thailand

Starting from 01/July/2015 to 30/06/2016, visitors from the following countries may not need a visa to Vietnam for less than 15 days: Germany, France, the UK, Italy, and Spain.

Note it expires end of June

http://www.myvietnamvisa.com/vietnam-visa-exemption.html

SO I repeat there is no visa on arrival for Vietnam!!!!

Cambodia, Laos you do get a visa on arrival

Myanmar, Vietnam you APPLY online for a pre approved visa which you also show when you board your flight.

Not a reliable link !

Please note this extract C&P directly from the site.

"Disclaimers: This is a commercial/Private Website, NOT an official website of the government."

There is absolutely no problem getting a visa for 14 days on arrival for tourist's at Hanoi no letter needed, very polite and friendly at immi . This is a trial period which going to be reviewed in June this year. Have just done this a few weeks ago. Have good time.

Visitors from certain counties are allowed 14 days on arrival .You need return ticket .Please check website .One visit without visa per month.

If you want to stay longer and you do not wish to apply at the Vn embassy in Bangkok you contact an approved agency on line .The agency will provide you with a number this number is required to board a flight.On arrival contact immigration at the airport with the number provided and you will be issued a visa for one month 25usd and two 'photos required.

There is a large sign at the Vietnam Embassy here in BKK advising people not to do it. It is private companies that set up the "letter" to submit at immigration for you to obtain the VOA on arrival, not the government. So if something goes wrong, you will not be entering the country.

Much easier to just go to the embassy on Wireless road. Have done it twice within a year. No problems at all.

And my 18 absolutely hassle-free Vietnam visas on arrival over the past 10 years or so says different.

My sister flew in to HCMC yesterday and said it was absolute chaos trying to get the visa on arrival. If more than one flight arrives at the same time it could be fairly time consuming. Up to you, but I'd try and do it online before you go.

The HCMC visa on arrival desk has always been a rugby scrum when more than two flights arrive. The Hanoi one is much better organized with very obliging and courteous staff.

I did all of this stuff last July and got 22 different answers on here.

Brits, French and about 3-4 others got a 15 day visa (ok, ok, a waiver) from 1st July 2015. I know. because I flew to Hanoi on 3rd July. Hanoi airport was a dream at 8am. I had 12 very happy days in Hanoi and was not bothered by anyone.

Americans and some others (check about Canadians) will be getting the same from 1st July 16, I was told.

The VN embassy in BKK is lousy and never pick up the phone. I believe you need to return after 6 hours to actually COLLECT the visa once you apply there and pay. Anything "official" in Vietnam is as bad as LOS, or worse. In VN itself, corruption is rampant as well.

The VOA are scammy. They are travel agents who charge 40-60-80 dollars for "booking" your visa to pick up. This experience can be either very good or a shambles, I heard.

Eddy

Brits, French and about 3-4 others got a 15 day visa (ok, ok, a waiver) from 1st July 2015. I know. because I flew to Hanoi on 3rd July. Hanoi airport was a dream at 8am. I had 12 very happy days in Hanoi and was not bothered by anyone.

Americans and some others (check about Canadians) will be getting the same from 1st July 16, I was told.

I have heard nothing about Canada - and I am not sure about the United States - do you have a source other than "I was told"..... word of mouth is often inaccurate as often assumptions of which countries are incorrectly made.

BUT to be absolutely clear - this thread (OP) is about Canadians - not other nationalities.....

I've heard Hanoi is better, but both times I've used the pre-approval letter system in HCM I've had to wait quite a while at the airport. This time I paid the extra $15 for VIP service, and while the guy from the company was there to meet my flight, it still took nearly an hour. The explanation was that I had arrived at shift change time. Judging by the others waiting who didn't pay the $15, I still got off easier than most.