What A Bunch Of Bankers

Hi customer satisfaction that old nostalgic memory that lingers. I wonder do any of you have good stories to recount of your chosen Thai bank as I am coming to live in Phuket Jan/Feb and need to open an account.

Similarly any bad experiences would be appreciated too

Is it much like in the UK where they are all pretty rubbish? I hope not

Regards

Mike

:o

Get yourself ready for unique experiences with the thai banks :o

I beg to differ.

You've never seen lousy banking service until you've tried to open up a bank account in the UK as a foreigner, with the correct documentation (eg work permits, utility bills etc). Anti-fraud measures there have made it difficult to do things even for legit people.

Barclays actually told me that I had to have been living in the UK for a year before they'd open up one for me.

Other places said that I'd have to have evidence of salary payments, although work would not pay me unless I had a bank account. That one took the cake!

The best thing about it here, is that if one branch won't open account for you, one down the road will.

For me, there are 2 things that are in the top in Thailand :

Post office and Bank.

I was the lucky winner of some K$ in 2002 in an internet lottery (a site from Lycos). I was paid by a check send by snake mail here. I got it in 2 weeks. So thai Post are okie.

Same apply with bank, at least for a small customer as I am. I opened early 2002 an account in SCB Tong Lohr, people are efficient, speak english, or when they do not they are clevert enought to find a way to uderstand me. I had a problem once with my CC charged twice by a coffe shop in MBK (when you come by the BTS , the first brand of coffe chop that is on the right hand, I forget the brand, but not the location). The bank was kind enought to act quickly and efficently.

On the other hand, the SCB where I do my daily operations (locatd in Huay Kwang) is not at the same level (that is why I never moved my account here). So all depend the branch you will select, mostly all depend on the manager.

...account in SCB Tong Lohr... mostly all depend on the manager.

I have seen this mentioned in other posts, that the service can differ from one branch to another, and now that I shall have to open an account in a month’s time prior to applying at Immigration for an extension of stay for retirement I would like to ask if anyone has experience with either of the following two branches of Siam Commercial Bank (SBC) which are near to where I shall be living:

1. SBC Lat Ya branch: 276/1 Lat Ya Road, Khlong San, Bangkok, 10600

2. SBC Charoen Nakhon branch: 674 Charoen Nakhon Road, Bang Lumpu Lang, Khlong San,

Bangkok 10600

That’s on the Thonburi side.

---------------

Maestro

I just went into a bank, said I wanted to open an account, they opened it there and then. Gave me a bank book and an ATM card. It was that simple. Okay, they asked to see my passport and took copies of it, but that was all - no problem.

SCB is good, because you will get a DC, not a simple ATM.

I had a bad experience first with Kasikorn (I was/still be a clinet of the French farmers bank, and they first advice me to open an account with Kasikorn while I wasstill in france), you will get an simple ATM card. Kinda limitate.

So really hit for SCB, as a poor farang you will not get a CC,, but a DC will do it just fine (the electronic one, usable in the supermarkets, restaurants .... It limite the amount of cash you have to carry, and by the mistakes/deceptions).

TMB opened an account for me without much trouble - after checking/taking copies of my passsport (which had a non immigr o visa) - and completing lots of forms (which I then signed.

Provided passbook & card. Also give me internet banking.

The card has a visa emblem on it. Don't know how much of the normal visa use that allows.....must get around to asking....so far the atm use has been enough for me.

Have had good service and nice attitude from K-Bank but things can vary a lot from branch to branch.

I'm lucky, my branch has good staff who seem to have been properly trained.

I'm noticing that K-Bank seems to be expanding. They are setting up more ATMs around HuaHin