Let the RV tourists roll on in, says Phuket poll

webfact

Let the RV tourists roll on in, says Phuket poll

1458211591_1-org.jpg
The Chinese RV tourists have Phuket's vote to tour the island. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: -- If Phuket pollsters have their way, recreational vehicle (RV) travellers will be allowed onto Phuket to enjoy the island as a tourist destination, despite concerns by officials that the vehicles and their occupants could cause a slew of problems for local residents.

A total of 70 per cent of respondents to the latest online poll by The Phuket News voted to allow RVs onto Phuket.

Specifically, 42% voted to “Allow RVs on Phuket, but regulate where they can go, tax them and make them stay in RV parks”.

A further 28% of the respondents taking part in the poll voted to “Allow RVs to roam free across the island like any other private vehicle.”

However, opposition to allowing RVs onto the island, although a clear minority, remained strong, with 30% of respondents voting to “Ban RVs entirely from Phuket.”

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/let-the-rv-tourists-roll-on-in-says-phuket-poll-56648.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-18

They complain about Chinese "Zero Dollar" tourism (which is a misnomer at the minimum but that's for a different thread/day) but here come these probably slightly more affluent people in their little RVs who will pay for everything as they go and if welcomed and provided with a place to charge a battery and slop out the cess tanks probably recommend the island to their friends back home as a fun adventure and the talk is all about how to stop them!

If I had some under-performing bit of rubber plantation on the Eastern side of Thepkasattri road I'd whack up a few shower and laundry facilities, some solar panels and a couple of *cough* "recycling" tanks and a potable water pump and wait and see what happens.

Right, another thingy they want to add to their tourism scheme for which they are not ready ! Have they even seen RV parking with electrical hook ups ? They so want to be like the west yet lack all the infrasctructure.

But hey, mai pen rai right ? rolleyes.gif

Right, another thingy they want to add to their tourism scheme for which they are not ready ! Have they even seen RV parking with electrical hook ups ? They so want to be like the west yet lack all the infrasctructure.

Who wants to add what to their tourism scheme?

I think what the member is getting at is Phuket wants the money from ANY and ALL forms of tourism, but does not want to spend a baht to get it.

Since the rules allowing foreign cars into Thailand have changed, this is moot

I read that article earlier as well. The Thai Government really doesn't want to be invaded with Chinese R/V's. Where's the upside for Thailand?

I always wondered why there weren't any or very few RV's in Thailand back in 2004... There still aren't any facilities for them. I guess they'd just dump their sewage tank in some storm drain like too many other restaurants and other people do around Phuket. More quality tourists...

Bad enough menace the Chinese on the motorbikes stopping in the worst possible places to check their phone map app, how will it be when they take an RV on a small soi made for two way bike riding but really only fits one car?

And who is going to enforce if they decide that's where they want to set down for the night?

Late night disasters await.

I think what the member is getting at is Phuket wants the money from ANY and ALL forms of tourism, but does not want to spend a baht to get it.

Since Phuket and national wide officials have made it clear they don;t want this kind of tourism, the post has bene refuted.

Since the rules allowing foreign cars into Thailand have changed, this is moot

I read that article earlier as well. The Thai Government really doesn't want to be invaded with Chinese R/V's. Where's the upside for Thailand?

I always wondered why there weren't any or very few RV's in Thailand back in 2004... There still aren't any facilities for them. I guess they'd just dump their sewage tank in some storm drain like too many other restaurants and other people do around Phuket. More quality tourists...

Agreed. I'm willing to bet all those for RVs belonged to their local caravan club/have fond memories of family holidays in the 50's biggrin.png I mean it's not as though there isn't already a glut of cheap accommodation here, is it. Somewhat unlike some Godawful boarding house in Grimsby huh.png

Edited by dageurreotype

Go for it but don't expect it to end well. The Chinese are terrible drivers going from my

experience in Vancouver and Toronto. And before someone pipes up that is a gross

generalization and unfair, that is what makes my statement accurate. I can't tell you

if a particular driver is not very capable, I can only make a generalized statement based

on my first hand personal experience. Thais are terrible as well, (although I know some

are good) it is just the Chinese are worse. When you combine that, with opposite hand

drive and over sized camper vans/RV's it will be an accident and traffic nightmare. Neither

country has a driving culture with drivers getting there license at age 16 and having years

of experience. They come to it late and most are terrible drivers. blink.png

Go for it but don't expect it to end well. The Chinese are terrible drivers going from my

experience in Vancouver and Toronto. And before someone pipes up that is a gross

generalization and unfair, that is what makes my statement accurate. I can't tell you

if a particular driver is not very capable, I can only make a generalized statement based

on my first hand personal experience. Thais are terrible as well, (although I know some

are good) it is just the Chinese are worse. When you combine that, with opposite hand

drive and over sized camper vans/RV's it will be an accident and traffic nightmare. Neither

country has a driving culture with drivers getting there license at age 16 and having years

of experience. They come to it late and most are terrible drivers. blink.png

a lot are getting their first licence in Thailand as the requirements are less stringent than in China. Plus they can use the Thai licence to get a Chinese one when they return