New Airport

cwilliam

One more thing. It seems to me (based on my limited knowledge of posters' lives) that those who tend to travel a lot have been generally positive about the airport, while occasional travellers, doom-laden teachers, sexpats and the visa-runners tend to be negative. I wonder why that is?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing. It seems to me (based on my limited knowledge of posters' lives) that those who tend to travel a lot have been generally positive about the airport, while occasional travellers, doom-laden teachers, sexpats and the visa-runners tend to be negative. I wonder why that is?

Because they have nothing better to do than moan all day!

I think that most people are missing the point here.I've travelled a fair bit. Sure there are alot of problems. However, on the overall scale of things, the new airport isn't too bad.Its functional. It is just the fact that with all the intial hype, its not quite as good as they wanted us to believe it was going to be.. Yes, and it's got a long way to go before it competes with the likes of Changi.

If you want Changi ,MOVE!!! :o:D:D:D:D:D

I think that most people are missing the point here.I've travelled a fair bit. Sure there are alot of problems. However, on the overall scale of things, the new airport isn't too bad.Its functional. It is just the fact that with all the intial hype, its not quite as good as they wanted us to believe it was going to be.. Yes, and it's got a long way to go before it competes with the likes of Changi.

If you cared to read to post properly, you would see on a whole I am agreeing with you Einstein.

If you cared to read to post properly, you would see on a whole I am agreeing with you Einstein.

Not meant for you just Changi lovers :D:D:D:D

Only 4 times inbound and outbound so far and all Bangkok-Singapore or Bangkok-HK. The only thing that really impresses me is the proximity to my house on Sukapibal 3 Rd. and the 4-6 lane access all the way there and back; 15-20 minutes.... close enough to be super convenient and far away enough not to hear any planes. Otherwise, it's an airport... it works, good enough for me. Maybe a slight complaint with inviting non travellers to visit the airport just for fun.... but not really a big deal as the crowds have pretty much levelled off.

So they clearly misappropriated a lot of funds (I think the figure under PM Banharn was 3 Billion Baht... that's BEFORE any serious construction even took place)... would it have made any difference for anyone if they had misappropriated it from a hundred small projects vs. this one mega project?

:o

Yes, it works, but nothing spectacular. Toilets are there, but not very clean, shops are there, but not very good, food is there, but nothing to write home about. Actually in domestic departures I haven't seen a single restaurant, no Burger Kings - nothing, but I wasn't hungry so I didn't care.

There's a lot of room for improvement and getting on the list of ten best airports is a long term project.

Or those satisfied with "good enough". Yes, we all have different standards. Some think good enough is OK, others think we should aspire to better than "good enough". I travel a lot, I am not a doom-laden teacher, sexpat or visa runner. I don't think I have an easy label, but I do think from what you're saying, I'd rather have my approach to life than yours. Maybe, (if you're not doom laden, a teacher, a sexpat or a visa runner), but an employee in Thailand, those that employ you might also prefer someone who aspires to higher standards too. I know the TIT philosophy, and that we should all accept everything as it is here, but perhaps there is room for criticism, providing it's reasoned, and not critical of Thais, or Thailand for the sake of running running them and it down. Surely if people are well-travelled they have experienced the best, (and worst) in comparisons, and should be free in this forum to state those views. I believe however, it is also more effective if solutions can be suggested, and more particularly, if those suggestions can be acted upon, or debated by those who have the power to effect change. Possibly the frustration is that this rarely happens in a country in which you do not have that clout, (justifyably perhaps, because you're a foreigner).

My impression of this airport it that it gets the job done, as good as other airports in the region and with better looks than Don Muang.

One difference with the neighbours is that the expectations built before the opening were huge. The complaining may be proportional to that.

I suggest you go and have a look yourself!!!

Then go and see what its like at Changi Airport and at KL. There is no comparison.

The arrivals hall is nothing short of scandalous, as I have stated before God help the folks arriving at Christmas time!!! It will take them until New Years day to get outside!!!!

I hope not, I arrive evening of the 22nd :D and have to be back in KL for the 27th :D .

A colleague has just returned from a visit to LOS and he reckons the airport building are much more pleasant for departures than arrivals. Personally I don't much care what the terminal buildings look like. An airport is there to serve but one function and that is to get me out of the plane and into the country, and vice versa. As long as it does that reasonably efficiently I'll be satisfied.

As for the taxi touts, they're a bluddy menace worldwide you just have to push past them and find the official taxi counters. I just hope I can find my usual limo service. They aren't cheap, Baht2500 to Pattaya, but the car is new, generally a Merc, and the driver competant and alert. My life is worth more than a few Baht any day. :o

cwilliam - you really shouldnt post such negative posts,the above will no doubt scare first time visitors to the new airport such as me! it being my first time to new airport - and myself landing teatime on the 22 DEC.how do you mean "god help folks arriving at christmas"

as i say i land at teatime 22nd dec and have booked a domestic flight to c mai at 10 30pm with thai airways.

so are you saying if i land at 6 30pm,i will not be able to, once landed be able to get my flight 4 HOURS LATER to chiang mai in time?

this is very disconcerting as i am travelling all the way from england on my own!

My impression of this airport it that it gets the job done, as good as other airports in the region and with better looks than Don Muang.

One difference with the neighbours is that the expectations built before the opening were huge. The complaining may be proportional to that.

Then go and see what its like at Changi Airport and at KL. There is no comparison.

The arrivals hall is nothing short of scandalous, as I have stated before God help the folks arriving at Christmas time!!! It will take them until New Years day to get outside!!!!

I hope not, I arrive evening of the 22nd :D and have to be back in KL for the 27th :D .

A colleague has just returned from a visit to LOS and he reckons the airport building are much more pleasant for departures than arrivals. Personally I don't much care what the terminal buildings look like. An airport is there to serve but one function and that is to get me out of the plane and into the country, and vice versa. As long as it does that reasonably efficiently I'll be satisfied.

As for the taxi touts, they're a bluddy menace worldwide you just have to push past them and find the official taxi counters. I just hope I can find my usual limo service. They aren't cheap, Baht2500 to Pattaya, but the car is new, generally a Merc, and the driver competant and alert. My life is worth more than a few Baht any day. :o

cwilliam - you really shouldnt post such negative posts,the above will no doubt scare first time visitors to the new airport such as me! it being my first time to new airport - and myself landing teatime on the 22 DEC.how do you mean "god help folks arriving at christmas"

as i say i land at teatime 22nd dec and have booked a domestic flight to c mai at 10 30pm with thai airways.

so are you saying if i land at 6 30pm,i will not be able to, once landed be able to get my flight 4 HOURS LATER to chiang mai in time?

this is very disconcerting as i am travelling all the way from england on my own!

4 hours is fine for a transfer even if you have to clear customs and immigration in Bangkok which might not be the case if you fly Thai Airways all the way (if not you need to check it with your airline as some offer this service)

Relax

It was myself that wrote the above, and I apologise if I have misled you. You certainly will not have a problem getting your connecting flight. I was using a little "poetic licence" in as much as the Arrivals hall is extremely crowded and difficult for you to meet people there, however it wont take That long to fight through the crowds. Relax and I hope you enjoy your stay

It was myself that wrote the above, and I apologise if I have misled you. You certainly will not have a problem getting your connecting flight. I was using a little "poetic licence" in as much as the Arrivals hall is extremely crowded and difficult for you to meet people there, however it wont take That long to fight through the crowds. Relax and I hope you enjoy your stay

yeh,sorry i named the wrong guy.no worries.

i am flying manchester-dubai-bangkok with emirates.then going to domestic to get a thai airways flight iv just booked going to cmai.

glad i will have enough time thanks - unless of course a delay getting to bangkok,then maybe i will be stuck in bk over christmas as more flights im sure will be scarce over this period.touch wood,no delays.

thanks

Well I had another lousey experience on my return to Bangkok from Chiang Mai. Some of the problems perhaps not the airport fault. (I'm trying to give it the benefit of the doubt). But some were.

The flight left CM on time at 9:10 PM scheduled to arrive Bkk at 10:05PM.

We went into a holding pattern north of Bangkok for about fifteen minutes and then proceeded towards Bangkok and then went into another holding pattern out in the Gulf of Thailand. Finally landed at about 10:45. OK maybe this wasn't the airport's fault.

The plane parked out on the tarmac and we started down the stairs. But alas there was no bus. They wouldn't let us off the stairs so we waited for the bus for about 10 minutes. The Thai ground staff just said "very busy" when I asked them in Thai what the problem was.

The buses finally arrived and took us on the circumnavigation of the airport and we unloaded at the domestic arrivals. It was about 11:00PM. I was traveling with two other people who were making connections to Frankfurt ... instead of an hour and a half for the transit they had 30 minutes. OK they still made it ... although no time for shopping or whatever.

Then another looonnng wait for the luggage. My last few trips didn't have any luggage problems but with this one the luggage bugaboo raised it's ugly head again. I guess the late luggage was also due to the vehicles being busy. I sat down and was patient but other passengers were complaining to the thai baggage staff. Baggage arrived about 11:25PM.

Out to the AOT Limo stand. "I'll take the 700 baht limo" I said. The AOT man standing there replied ... "This isn't Don Muang, Limos cost 1100 baht from Suvarnabhumi." I replied in Thai that I had been thru Suvarnabhumi nine times already and knew they have 700 baht limos. The girl behind the desk said the cheapest limo they had was 900 baht and it is a Nissan. I pointed at the picture of the Isuzu SUV and asked "how much is this?" She checked her computer and then replied sheepishly "700 baht". ...... OK

Outside there was a cluster of limos including two Isuzu SUVs and a group of drivers standing there smoking. The AOT man pushing my baggage cart just stood there on the curb gazing off into the night. After a few minutes and a few "one moment sir" phrases from him, I asked him politely in Thai what we were waiting for and he said we were waiting for a Limo that was on it's way back to the airport from downtown. I guess I lost it at that point and wasn't very polite in my reply ... the nearby smoking drivers heard me and one of them hustled out to one of the Isuzu's and drove it over to the curb and loaded my luggage. He then drove into town at about 140kph which was fine with me.

I finally reached my address on Sukhumvit at about 20 minutes past midnight.

As for the taxi touts, they're a bluddy menace worldwide you just have to push past them and find the official taxi counters. I just hope I can find my usual limo service. They aren't cheap, Baht2500 to Pattaya, but the car is new, generally a Merc, and the driver competant and alert. My life is worth more than a few Baht any day. :D

What are you smoking?Not my comments :o:D:D:D:D

I have been passing through the domestic area of the new airport already a few times, and my opinion was that everything was good...

However, after reading so many negative posts I though I should wait for my first international flight experience out of the new airport to give my opinion...

Today, before my flight, I took time to walk around to have a good idea of "how bad" it was...

Well... There must be something wrong with me, since I think it is really good !

Or maybe there is something wrong with all those who complain about the new airport?

Don Muang was a horrible place to land or transit. This new airport could be improved here and there (and it probably will), but overall I think it is just great.

I have been passing through the domestic area of the new airport already a few times, and my opinion was that everything was good...

However, after reading so many negative posts I though I should wait for my first international flight experience out of the new airport to give my opinion...

Today, before my flight, I took time to walk around to have a good idea of "how bad" it was...

Well... There must be something wrong with me, since I think it is really good !

Or maybe there is something wrong with all those who complain about the new airport?

Don Muang was a horrible place to land or transit. This new airport could be improved here and there (and it probably will), but overall I think it is just great.

Don't worry Gerry1011, I've been reading a number of these strings from the doom and gloomers, I'm sure your first hand view is more likely accurate than most of the posters. But then, what do I know, I haven't even been there yet !

Edited by gmac

Don't worry Gerry1011, I've been reading a number of these strings from the doom and gloomers, I'm sure your first hand view is more likely accurate than most of the posters. But then, what do I know, I haven't even been there yet !

I too flew out of the new airport last week.....

aside from not being familiar with the place, it wasn't bad.

I was at the Denver airport a year after it opened and it was still a mess.

I wonder if all the comparisons to Changi etc. are from people who also flew out of Changi a month after it opened?

The great thing is nothing about the new airport is cast in stone...... the walls are metal stud & wallboard! Quick to rearrange if required.

I give it a thumbs up, will take some time to get used to.......

Left by Etihad yesterday from gate E2. A most unpleasant experience, mainly because I avoided taking water with me, as I had at Heathrow. Presumably some will say I was stupid for not realising those restrictions do not apply in BKK. Could not remedy it as once through security, in an appalling bleak hangar or a space vehicle in one of the worse science fiction films, and nothing to drink - in Thailand! It'll take a lot, a very lot of work to humanise that structure, but a few snack facilities would help. I determined to get on the plane asap, so as to have 2 free glasses before I sat down. I was ok then, after feeling quite unweil.

I do not recall such huge distances elsewhere with no facilities except a smoking room. Departure gate lounges are usually among the least unpleasant parts of any large airport (by definition unpleasant places, with rare exceptions). Now I loathe tobacco smoke but I reckon I'd have coped in that huge cavernous hulk.

• 2 weeks later...
Out to the AOT Limo stand. "I'll take the 700 baht limo" I said. The AOT man standing there replied ... "This isn't Don Muang, Limos cost 1100 baht from Suvarnabhumi." I replied in Thai that I had been thru Suvarnabhumi nine times already and knew they have 700 baht limos. The girl behind the desk said the cheapest limo they had was 900 baht and it is a Nissan. I pointed at the picture of the Isuzu SUV and asked "how much is this?" She checked her computer and then replied sheepishly "700 baht". ...... OK

Interesting, as a matter of interest, returned circa 23:00 last night for the first time and 1} was told 1300 with 100 discount, [to Silom] 2} Vehicle was Nissan Teana [TBF new] 3} was asked the inevitable 'toll way ?' question, how much say I '65 baht say he, hm.. only problem being the receipt says in both Thai and English 'Price included (sic) all expressway and tollway expenses' bit of a silent trip after that :o

Some things never change do they <sigh>

By the by anyone know if Thai Airways have a limo service counter at the airport?

In the last two weeks, i have flown to NY and Chicago, and transitted through various airports. Anyone complaining about Bangkok should find themselves having to kill a few hours at Los Angeles. What a dump. Almost as bad were O'Hare and JFK. Vancouver was ok.

It's easy to complain, but Bangkok is much better than most other airports, and marginally beaten only by a few stellar places such as Hong Kong and Singapore.

Interesting, as a matter of interest, returned circa 23:00 last night for the first time and 1} was told 1300 with 100 discount, [to Silom] 2} Vehicle was Nissan Teana [TBF new] 3} was asked the inevitable 'toll way ?' question, how much say I '65 baht say he, hm.. only problem being the receipt says in both Thai and English 'Price included (sic) all expressway and tollway expenses' bit of a silent trip after that :o

Some things never change do they <sigh>

By the by anyone know if Thai Airways have a limo service counter at the airport?

Thai Airways have a limo counter within the baggage claim area of international arrival

Having arrived at and departed from the place in the last couple of weeks, I agree with all that. They could supply a few more places to sit down here and there, but it's a whole lot less stressful than Heathrow

In the last two weeks, i have flown to NY and Chicago, and transitted through various airports. Anyone complaining about Bangkok should find themselves having to kill a few hours at Los Angeles. What a dump. Almost as bad were O'Hare and JFK. Vancouver was ok.

It's easy to complain, but Bangkok is much better than most other airports, and marginally beaten only by a few stellar places such as Hong Kong and Singapore.

I believe the airports you mention (LAX, O'Hare & Vancouver) are just a tad older than Suvarnabhumi. One hopes "state of the art" means it will have improved on what has gone before. However yours, and many others' posts are quite satisfied with Suvarnabhumi, so you seem to suggest that everyone else in Thailand should be satisfied with the obvious inadequacies. How very aspirational. I would have hoped that Suvarnabhumi would have aspired to the success of Chek Lap Kok, but then I have different standards and expectations. And yes, I do like living in Thailand, but I think it does no harm to shoot for the stars. The country is changing rapidly, as are the (higher) expectations of its citizens.

Thai Airways have a limo counter within the baggage claim area of international arrival

Thank you for the pointer.

Scanning the threads herein, I've got to say that the 'new' airport is reasonable, but the very odd arrivals set-up, after exiting customs, is not a good welcome to the Kingdom. The crush which 'feels' greater then other recently built airports is somewhat disorientating. Last night it felt like arriving in a bazaar, a curious effect, even if one is comfortable in the milieu which is SE Asia.

Many features of the airport are well designed and thought out. Like it or not, most airports now require a zeal for expeditions to get from one area to another. Very few seem to look at the, dare I say it here, hub, and spoke layout which whilst not reducing the distances to be covered, do create a physiological effect which reduces the impact of the trek.

As to the quality of materials, it's too early to say, though I do take the opinion that the bare concrete in many areas is not suitably finished to be exposed, presuming this is the intent of the design, and it's not awaiting internal cladding. :o

Regards

Yes agreed ... the bare concrete needs finishing as does those aluminium strips that run across the ceiling at to which lights etc are attached. Concrete and metal is stained and really looks sloppy. Also take a close look at those glass windows.

My guess is that in the haste to open the building on schedule, they didn't have time for the finishing work. It's difficult to finish the concrete now that the airport is in use but cleaning up the windows and metal and electrical fittings should be feasible.

Also yesterday I made another trip thru the airport (international part) between 5-7PM and noticed that more of the 200 million baht toilets are in operation. Although some already have "out of order" signs on them.

Also some other observations .... really a crowded feeling. That display of "churning the milk sea" and the many tourists having thier pictures made there was blocking that major intersection at this particular time .... while at the other major intersection there was a Thai puppet show in progress which was causing congestion and blockage of passenger movement. It was slow going pushing a trolley.

I think if they relocate those restaurants (the Sushi Bar, etc) that have been placed in the middle of the walkways, it would help considerably.

Previously I had no problems with the air con/musik vents sticking up like airplane wing sections in the middle of the walkways but in times of congestion they are really a pain in the ass. Maybe these things could be relocated in some other place ... maybe horizontal above head-height.

Once again it was necessary to make the long bus ride to my departing flight parked somewhere out there in the airplane parking lot. After nine or ten trips (international and domestic) thru the new airport, I have only once exited a plane normally thru a gate and walkway into the terminal and have yet to board a plane thru gate and walkway.

Yes agreed ... the bare concrete needs finishing as does those aluminium strips that run across the ceiling at to which lights etc are attached. Concrete and metal is stained and really looks sloppy. Also take a close look at those glass windows.

My guess is that in the haste to open the building on schedule, they didn't have time for the finishing work. It's difficult to finish the concrete now that the airport is in use but cleaning up the windows and metal and electrical fittings should be feasible.

Also yesterday I made another trip thru the airport (international part) between 5-7PM and noticed that more of the 200 million baht toilets are in operation. Although some already have "out of order" signs on them.

Also some other observations .... really a crowded feeling. That display of "churning the milk sea" and the many tourists having thier pictures made there was blocking that major intersection at this particular time .... while at the other major intersection there was a Thai puppet show in progress which was causing congestion and blockage of passenger movement. It was slow going pushing a trolley.

I think if they relocate those restaurants (the Sushi Bar, etc) that have been placed in the middle of the walkways, it would help considerably.

Previously I had no problems with the air con/musik vents sticking up like airplane wing sections in the middle of the walkways but in times of congestion they are really a pain in the ass. Maybe these things could be relocated in some other place ... maybe horizontal above head-height.

Once again it was necessary to make the long bus ride to my departing flight parked somewhere out there in the airplane parking lot. After nine or ten trips (international and domestic) thru the new airport, I have only once exited a plane normally thru a gate and walkway into the terminal and have yet to board a plane thru gate and walkway.

Maybe I was lucky but my 12 trips in/out of the new airport both domestic and international have all been with bridges direct to the plane2

I believe the airports you mention (LAX, O'Hare & Vancouver) are just a tad older than Suvarnabhumi. One hopes "state of the art" means it will have improved on what has gone before. However yours, and many others' posts are quite satisfied with Suvarnabhumi, so you seem to suggest that everyone else in Thailand should be satisfied with the obvious inadequacies. How very aspirational. I would have hoped that Suvarnabhumi would have aspired to the success of Chek Lap Kok, but then I have different standards and expectations. And yes, I do like living in Thailand, but I think it does no harm to shoot for the stars. The country is changing rapidly, as are the (higher) expectations of its citizens.

Is that the same Chek Lap Kok that was universally vilified and attacked by Hong Kongers when it first opened as being unready and underfinished?

Sabai sabai people.

It was opened too early because of pressures from Thaksin. Noone is saying it is perfection, but over time it will iron out most of its issues. Already, on my third trip from there, I've noticed things looking a lot better than my first trip on the second day it was opened.