Phuket Poll: Is the Immigration overstay blacklist re-entry ban too harsh?

webfact

Phuket Poll: Is the Immigration overstay blacklist re-entry ban too harsh?
The Phuket News

1458268281_1-org.jpg
Are the new Immigration blacklist re-entry bans too severe?

PHUKET: -- Immigration this week revealed that it has yet to decide whether or not to ban any foreign children caught committing long overstays from re-entering the country for mandatory periods.

The bans for foreigners who “surrender themselves” to immigration for overstays range from one year for overstays of 90 days or more to 10 years for overstays of five years or more.

The penalties for those caught overstaying in the country are even harsher.

But the story this week that the blacklist re-entry bans might also apply to children has set the cat among the pigeons.

Some people say that the ban affects only those who have long broken the law, and are most likely to be those attempting the get away with not reporting themselves to immigration.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-poll-is-the-immigration-overstay-blacklist-re-entry-ban-too-harsh-56650.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-18

No, it's not. When we Asians travel to western countries, we are faced with the same harsh non-negotiable immigration rules.

It's about time that Asian countries return the favour.

Edited by roblam

No, it's not. When we Asians travel to western countries, we are faced with the same harsh non-negotiable immigration rules.

Ah, but our Western countries have Welfare. Your Asian countries, don't. Apples and oranges coffee1.gif

And you may also own land and your buisiness in my country and , and , and .....

Why dont you return us that favour ???

Totally fair.

There is no excuse for chronic overstayers.

None whatsoever.

One problem seems to be kids. If a kid has an overstay problem, then it has a foreign parent presumably also on overstay.

Poor kid.

Irresposible parents.

You clearly have failed to notice or acknowledge that children are exempt from the rules.

Always ignore FACT when attempting to make an impression !

Ah, but our Western countries have Welfare. Your Asian countries, don't. Apples and oranges coffee1.gif

@ roblam - How many non Asian immigrants has your country given full citizenship to? With education,health voting rights etc. Compare it to the UK France or Germany or the USA -

I thought Welfare only applies to the citizens of western countries? In Australia an immigrant alien has to wait 2 years before welfare can be paid. non Immigrant rules also apply for a tourist visa and so the Western immigration rules are more harsh than Thai immigrant (tourist) rules. Mind you don't even think about getting permanent residence here...even more difficult than going through the eye of a needle.

Firstly, I think the banning of people who blatantly flaunt visa laws in this country is long overdue, hopefully it will have some impact on some of the criminality that has been fostered here.

While there should always be some leeway for short time, accidental and incidental, overstayers, I feel ninety days without penalty is excessive and will encourage some to take that period automatically. I think Australia has a 28 day grace period which seems a reasonable time to me.

Of some concern is the uncertainty involving the arrest and prosecution of overstayers. Does it mean someone, perhaps considered to be an agitator, or simply not liked, could be arrested and prosecuted for being one day over, and be banned for five years?

The law should be more intransient and not involve the whims or prejudices of one Immigration or Police officer.

They need to clarify the law involving child overstayers, now.

Firstly, I think the banning of people who blatantly flaunt visa laws in this country is long overdue, hopefully it will have some impact on some of the criminality that has been fostered here.

While there should always be some leeway for short time, accidental and incidental, overstayers, I feel ninety days without penalty is excessive and will encourage some to take that period automatically. I think Australia has a 28 day grace period which seems a reasonable time to me.

Of some concern is the uncertainty involving the arrest and prosecution of overstayers. Does it mean someone, perhaps considered to be an agitator, or simply not liked, could be arrested and prosecuted for being one day over, and be banned for five years?

The law should be more intransient and not involve the whims or prejudices of one Immigration or Police officer.

"They need to clarify the law involving child overstayers, now"

You have failed to recognize that the new overstay rules do NOT apply to those under the age of 18.

What further clarification would you have "They" make ?

You have failed to recognize that the new overstay rules do NOT apply to those under the age of 18.

As you are aware, because you have commented on other threads on the subject, some Immigration Offices are "mulling over" whether to ban children or not.

They need clarification, now. You, continually stating that the published rules say one thing (and assuming I haven't read them!) doesn't change the fact that the people charged with enforcing the rules seem confused!

As you are aware, because you have commented on other threads on the subject, some Immigration Offices are "mulling over" whether to ban children or not.

They need clarification, now. You, continually stating that the published rules say one thing (and assuming I haven't read them!) doesn't change the fact that the people charged with enforcing the rules seem confused!

You opinion only !

What I read was a very bad "report" generated from some idiotic "social media" source.

"Paraniod" Phuket expats love this Rumourmongering" ! smile.png

You opinion only !

What I read was a very bad "report" generated from some idiotic "social media" source.

"Paraniod" Phuket expats love this Rumourmongering" ! smile.png

You seem familiar, sunnyjim. I note you've clocked up about 2000 posts in a couple of months and have a habit of personally attacking posters with opposing views.

"Perhaps" I'm "just" being "paranoid" or "Rumourmongering"!