Airport Will Almost Double Capacity

Tywais

I would disagree with the safety aspect. What happens at Heathrow or LAX when there is an emergency. The skies are jammed full of aircraft. LAX has Longbeach, Santa Monica, Burbank, Van Nuys, Hawthorn all very close together, helicopters buzzing about all over. The aircraft with the emergency has to follow the controllers instructions. There is almost nothing in the skies above CM. Only the mountain is a no go area and easily avoided. I have seen no difference with approach on runway 18, Thai 777's land on that runway just as easily as the as they do landing from the south. I have not noticed any steep approach either.

I don't know what experience you have in the aviation field. There are many factors that play into air traffic control. Here is a link to the sectional chart for CNX. If you know how to read one you will see what the issues are here. Feel free to compare it to the sectional charts for the other airports you have mentioned.

https://skyvector.com/?ll=18.766847,98.962644&chart=301&zoom=3

My rental home is 300 metres from the end of runway with planes landing from 7:00 in the morning till 00:10 past midnight. Flying in to land less than 200 metres from my bedroom window. But 24 hours a day is certainly unreasonable. It should also be remembered the airport also acts as a military aerodrome. In February there were 116 extra planes from China. What is this expansion really for, another 9 million Chinese tourists? Is someone counting their chickens early?

Wasn't the major expansion of CNX airport a firm plan proposed by a certain ex-Prime Minister at least 10 years ago?

Correct

... surprisingly, on an area he owns plenty of land

You can bet your bottom satang that *any* project that requires moving the airport will have "personal benefit" factored into the choice of location.

Wasn't the major expansion of CNX airport a firm plan proposed by a certain ex-Prime Minister at least 10 years ago?

Correct

... surprisingly, on an area he owns plenty of land

You can bet your bottom satang that *any* project that requires moving the airport will have "personal benefit" factored into the choice of location.

That will be the biggest driver for any new airport being built. A group of influential people and politicians making a huge amount of money on the land and contracts to build it. If those conditions line up a new airport will be constructed.

Hard to believe that many believe a multi story parking station and new terminal will solve the problem.Short term yes, long term no.At some stage the airport will be moved

It took 30 years from initial decison to completion for Suvarnabhumi. A bit of forward thinking required here.

Access to Hang Dong Rd ????................at 10 am .this morning traffic on HD Rd was nose to nose from Big C,mae Hia to Airport Plaza and if you are going to the airport you have to do the long loop past Immigration

Hard to believe that many believe a multi story parking station and new terminal will solve the problem.Short term yes, long term no.At some stage the airport will be moved

It took 30 years from initial decison to completion for Suvarnabhumi. A bit of forward thinking required here.

Access to Hang Dong Rd ????................at 10 am .this morning traffic on HD Rd was nose to nose from Big C,mae Hia to Airport Plaza and if you are going to the airport you have to do the long loop past Immigration

If the airport really wanted to a road could be built starting from the runway as you approach the city coming up from the south just after Big C. You would turn of the hang dong road around the runway area. It would skirt the inside of the airports perimeter fence and take you straight to the airport.

The huge car parking space at the back airport plaza/ baan and beyond could have a short road link to the airport. The car park area could have a ground transport station link to rest of the city. i think a mono rail line to the airport or cutting through the area would be a smart move.

If a mono rail ran from the airport would it run towards Nim then down Huay Kaeow Road or to airport plaza and towards the moat ?

Where would the line go from there out in the direction of Doi Saket?

Difficult to access and nowhere to park even now. Needs to be out of town for any expansion especially if they are looking at 24 hours.

Easy for me to access .Parking does need to be increased .

It makes absolutely no sense, in the long term, to upgrade the airport at its present site.

Rather than planning 3 years ahead why not have some vision for 10 or 20 years time when access to the current airport and parking will be impossible,its a shambles now.Chinese New Year illustrated that quite clearly if you happened to get caught up in it.

The possible sites mentioned before were Sankamphaeng or San Patong and serviced into the city by a mono rail or similar.That of course would be decided by the "decision makers" that own nearby land which would increase 10 fold in value.

Chiang Mai is slowly creeping up to total grid lock in peak times or has nobody noticed ?

Chiang Mai is slowly creeping up to total grid lock in peak times or has nobody noticed?

Hence, why I prefer to drive a motorcycle in-city. The car is fine for transiting between Chiang Mai and our village in Lamphun Province. Once in the city though, I simply steal my son's motorcycle. Heck, I bought it! Lol.

The reason for traffic hd to airport is the motor show this weekend. Ironic.

It makes absolutely no sense, in the long term, to upgrade the airport at its present site.

Rather than planning 3 years ahead why not have some vision for 10 or 20 years time when access to the current airport and parking will be impossible,its a shambles now.Chinese New Year illustrated that quite clearly if you happened to get caught up in it.

The possible sites mentioned before were Sankamphaeng or San Patong and serviced into the city by a mono rail or similar.That of course would be decided by the "decision makers" that own nearby land which would increase 10 fold in value.

Chiang Mai is slowly creeping up to total grid lock in peak times or has nobody noticed ?

Chiang Mai is slowly creeping up to total grid lock in peak times or has nobody noticed?

Hence, why I prefer to drive a motorcycle in-city. The car is fine for transiting between Chiang Mai and our village in Lamphun Province. Once in the city though, I simply steal my son's motorcycle. Heck, I bought it! Lol.

You are so right. These days going into the first ring circle is asking for trouble. That is if you go in between 07:30 - 10 AM again at around lunch time whatever length that is, then around about 15:30 to about 18:30. I do biss in Chiang Mai but try to avoid the times mentioned as much as I can. Hilano

Edit: Sorry, actually traffic is off topic

Edited by hugocnx

"There are also plans afoot to operate the airport 24 hours a day though Group Captain Visutr says that he will organise a public hearing before making such decisions."

Didn't CNX start 24/7-operations a year-or-so ago ? whistling.gif

Perhaps the Group Captain missed the announcement.