NLA accepts legislation on public referendum

rooster59

NLA accepts legislation on public referendum

Thammarat Thadaphrom

post-247607-0-92249900-1458425402_thumb.

BANGKOK, 19 March 2016 (NNT) – The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) has accepted in principle legislation that will allow a public referendum on the draft charter to take place on August 7 this year.

The NLA meeting chaired by second vice president Peerasak Porjit this week reviewed all proposals submitted by the Cabinet on the draft charter’s public referendum.

Addressing members of the legislature, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Kreau-ngam said the proposals are in line with the interim constitution and that the government has asked the Constitution Drafting Commission (CDC) to forward all pertinent information on the latest charter to the Election Commission (EC) within 15 days so that it may begin publicizing the document.

After hearing Mr Wissanu’s comments, the NLA voted 153-0 with 5 abstentions to accept the legislation in principle and formed a 21-member committee to review the legislation and to make adjustments if necessary within the next 20 days. The second and third sittings of the legislature will be held on April 7th.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-20 footer_n.gif

Goog to see this is being brought to the people to decide.

I only hope that if the majority decide to go with it that the minority do not dismiss the majorities wishes like they did in an earlier constitution that was also voted in by a majority.

I only hope that if the majority decide to go with it that the minority do not dismiss the majorities wishes like they did in an earlier constitution that was also voted in by a majority.

You missed a bit "djamie":

1. The majority decide,

2. The minority dismiss the majorities wishes,

3. The military seize power and then do what the minority wants.

I agree. When the majority votes, the minority have to accept that vote. Otherwise there would be coups and stuff... Oh wait...

Most concise description of the coup I've seen to date. You changing your colours jamie?