Phuket Opinion: Another day in paradise?

rooster59

Phuket Opinion: Another day in paradise?

The Phuket News

post-247607-0-76296700-1458439230_thumb.

The death on March 11 of taxi driver Teerawat Phetdam underlines just how dangerous it can be for unsuspecting tourists travelling through Phuket. Photo:

PHUKET: One of the most typical promises regularly flouted by Phuket officials is to “prioritise the safety and security of tourists”. All-too-often such reassurances turn out to be mere lip service.

The death on March 11 of taxi driver Teerawat Phetdam underlines just how dangerous it can be for unsuspecting tourists travelling through Phuket. (See story here.)

Teerwat died after he crashed his vehicle into the back of a crane truck on the bypass road, and though his Chinese passengers were “lucky” to have escaped the same fate, the incident is yet another firm reminder that the safety of tourists on Phuket roads is not, and has not been, a priority.

Are all the officials who claim to be concerned with the well-being of tourists oblivious to the fact that most taxi, minivan and coach drivers chauffeuring tourists around are driving recklessly, fearless of the law, never mind their own demise.

Perhaps officials have simply overlooked, or underestimated, the number of accidents caused by those who are supposed to safeguard the passage of the island’s lifeblood

Surely these officials use the same roads in Phuket, particularly of Thepkrasattri Rd, the main artery to and from the airport, along which many of the reckless-driving accidents happen.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-another-day-in-paradise-56658.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-20

The local police are very adept at throwing up roadblocks everywhere to check for such things as helmets, passports, kratoum (sp) leaves or improperly dressed taxi drivers, but the speedway that is Thepkrasattri Rd seems to be exempt from their gaze.

Taxis and minibuses apparently feel the need to fly down this road as if being pursued by Jason Bourne. Every now and again one of them comes to grief big time and often take innocents with them.

We have a local taxi driver we always use. He is reliable, reasonably priced and very personable. However, my visitors always arrive slightly terrified because of his speed driving through the traffic. The need for speed seems inbuilt with these guys.

The Police need to target this road for speeders in a big way, Never thought I would say something like this, but the road needs radar traps, proper speed cameras and an attitude from enforcement that excludes special influence.

Never thought I would say something like this, but the road needs radar traps, proper speed cameras and an attitude from enforcement that excludes special influence.

Now you can wait till the "if-you-dont-like-it-here-and-want-a-nanny-state-then-you-should-go-back-to-your-own-country-brigade".

But I agree. Stamping out corruption by changing the mindset of the police will be extremely hard, so why not just "replace" them with machines. A speed camera does not care if the car is owned by a rich person or not, and with the correct checks-and-balances (I know, that will be hard but can be controlled top-down) the bill will arrive automatically in their mailbox. Guess how many people would still speed when they get a fine of 200 baht for every time they do it? Their priorities will quickly change after receiving a fine 10 days in a row.

Never thought I would say something like this, but the road needs radar traps, proper speed cameras and an attitude from enforcement that excludes special influence.

Now you can wait till the "if-you-dont-like-it-here-and-want-a-nanny-state-then-you-should-go-back-to-your-own-country-brigade".

But I agree. Stamping out corruption by changing the mindset of the police will be extremely hard, so why not just "replace" them with machines. A speed camera does not care if the car is owned by a rich person or not, and with the correct checks-and-balances (I know, that will be hard but can be controlled top-down) the bill will arrive automatically in their mailbox. Guess how many people would still speed when they get a fine of 200 baht for every time they do it? Their priorities will quickly change after receiving a fine 10 days in a row.

You realy think a fine of 200 bath works make it a thousand and people will change their habbits after one day. Plus i.g. driving without a helmet leave your motorcycle and get a helmet first before moving on.

Bottom line is traffic cops need to enforce the law, pull up speeding drivers of whatever vehicle they're in a book them, plenty of farangs fall into the category as well.

Agree with you in part, beechbum, but for me, the "bottom line" would be to fire every last cop in Thailand, including my Senior Sergeant Major cousin-in-law. Let the military take over to temporary fill that role (they couldn't do any worse), then bring in PROFESSIONALS from Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, and start training a new, fresh crop of men and women to teach them what it REALLY means to be a cop, and the CORRECT way to do their job. Only then will you see a change.

I guess when TAT says welcome to paradise, they mean paradise as in heaven, not the beautiful country.

The land of killer taxis, busses and mini vans. Flip it you dont read sh.. about motorcy taxis killing off their passengers? Now that last sentance makes you think, does it not?

Edited by Inepto Cracy

Adopt the same method as Dubai and the Emirates use. To purchase or rent a vehicle you need to have a phone which is registered at the time of purchase. Get caught by a speed trap and within minutes the fine arrives at your phone. Not you driving, tough luck you will get the fine and it will go against your driving record.

The local police are very adept at throwing up roadblocks everywhere to check for such things as helmets, passports, kratoum (sp) leaves or improperly dressed taxi drivers, but the speedway that is Thepkrasattri Rd seems to be exempt from their gaze.

Taxis and minibuses apparently feel the need to fly down this road as if being pursued by Jason Bourne. Every now and again one of them comes to grief big time and often take innocents with them.

We have a local taxi driver we always use. He is reliable, reasonably priced and very personable. However, my visitors always arrive slightly terrified because of his speed driving through the traffic. The need for speed seems inbuilt with these guys.

The Police need to target this road for speeders in a big way, Never thought I would say something like this, but the road needs radar traps, proper speed cameras and an attitude from enforcement that excludes special influence.

The problem, however, is that police would be required to give chase to offenders. They just don't do that here, which is why there's no enforcement for moving violations.

They do roadblocks because it requires very little effort, and a good deal of time can be spent socializing with their buddies while waiting for the next vehicle to pass through.

This is a country where the police do not uphold the law. Until they change their attitude, (attitude adjustment) nothing will change to the detriment of the Thai people.

Pathetic country. Kick the slime ball out and along with the creature who hire these police criminals. They are all scum.

The problem, however, is that police would be required to give chase to offenders. They just don't do that here, which is why there's no enforcement for moving violations.

They do roadblocks because it requires very little effort, and a good deal of time can be spent socializing with their buddies while waiting for the next vehicle to pass through.

The RTP appears not to have cars equipped and outfitted for traffic stops. Trained Traffic Officers seem to be a rare bird in the land of paradise.

Bottom line is traffic cops need to enforce the law, pull up speeding drivers of whatever vehicle they're in a book them, plenty of farangs fall into the category as well.

What traffic cops? There are no traffic cops. Thailand is the most dangerous place in the world to drive and Phuket is the most dangerous place in Thailand to drive.

The BIB are not trained for traffic law enforcement and they don't have the vehicles or equipment. Their one weapon against the insane driving is the roadside check. That's more of a revenue generator than a road safety thing.

For me the bottom line is driving is extremely dangerous and it's never going to get any better. This is Thailand.

Along with everything else the Thais will never deal with something till they have no choice, like the Thai airline industry, the fishing industry or pollution on Phi Phi. Quite simply, it's not in their nature to deal with anything till they have to. Throw in the mentality of Buddha will take care and Thais are never going to do FA.

Why is Phuket its own country? Why do they have their own rules and why is everything trying to kill you there?

Do they have traffic rules in Phuket? That sounds like an improvement to the parts of Thailand that I know clap2.gif

Why is Phuket its own country? Why do they have their own rules and why is everything trying to kill you there?

Do they have traffic rules in Phuket? That sounds like an improvement to the parts of Thailand that I know clap2.gif

I just want to know why Phuket immigration have bottles of water with overstay penalties, but not Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, etc

Historically.....far from Bangkok and now and then I think we still can see this playing out..."investigation team from Bangkok"