Marriage Visa

I am currently in Thailand on vacation, and my wife is Thai. We are from the US and she has US citizenship. We are hoping to make a home for ourselves here in Thailand. We have a home in Pattaya. I am 44. She does have her thai Id. What should we do to allow for me to get a visa? I have income of approx 60,000 baht a month and can deposit 400 k in a thai bank. Need assistance on what is best for me to get a visa. What about her, would she still need to get a visa or could she stay long term without one? As stated, she still has a valid ID card and a Thai passport? Any help would be appreciated.

You should obtain a non immigrant O visa and she should use her Thai passport to enter Thailand. You can then extend your stay for one year periods at a time from immigration with proof of marriage and 40k family income. She will not need a visa/extension if she enters using Thai passport. Bank deposit of 400k is no longer an option or required.

You should obtain a non immigrant O visa and she should use her Thai passport to enter Thailand. You can then extend your stay for one year periods at a time from immigration with proof of marriage and 40k family income. She will not need a visa/extension if she enters using Thai passport. Bank deposit of 400k is no longer an option or required.

Thanks for the info, will apply for that when we get back to the US. What about airline ticket, should it be R/T or can I get one-way? Also her last name on her Thai passport and Thai ID is not the same as mine. How easy is that to get changed here? Will her last name being different cause a problem? that make a difference? Also our marriage certificate is from the US, but we do have it translated into thai, will that be acceptable proof here in Thailand? Thanks again for you assistance!

Having the visa will allow plane travel with one way ticket. Her name should be either changed (if she wants) or prefix "Mrs." attached after her return (if not already done). She has the option to keep her maiden name now so that should not be a problem but not real advantage. Believe the marriage papers will probably have to be registered with Ministry of Foreign Affairs but I would ask Royal Thai Consulate if there is anything they have to do as they are usually much better informed on international rules than local authorities and can help you while you are still there. If you want professional help sponsor Sunbelt rates are very reasonable in my opinion. But always be prepared for change. :o

If you want professional help sponsor Sunbelt rates are very reasonable in my opinion. But always be prepared for change. :D

Thanks Lop for the mention. No plans to change our professional fees, they in fact have gone down over the years, not up. As we get bigger and more streamlined, we pass the savings on to the client. Western thinking. :o

Also our marriage certificate is from the US, but we do have it translated into thai, will that be acceptable proof here in Thailand?

The marriage certificate will need to be notarized by the Embassy in Thailand. The Thai translation and the marriage certificate then is certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It then must be taken to the district where your wife has a house registration and get this certified and registered. You then have criteria met for proof of marriage. Note to other readers: Notice he was married outside Thailand. If you are married inside Thailand, then none of these steps are needed.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com