Illegal businesses on Phuket's Mai Khao Beach to be demolished in 15 days

webfact

Illegal businesses on Phuket's Mai Khao Beach to be demolished in 15 days
The Phuket News

1458532435_1-org.jpg
It is believed there are nine people responsible for setting up the businesses on Mai Khao Beach. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: -- A number of shops recently set up at the Pru Jason area of Mai Khao Beach are to be demolished within the next 15 days as it is alleged they encroach on public land. Officials have stated they are also investigating more cases of possible land encroachment in the area.

Prapan Kanprasang, Chief of the Damrongdhama Centre (Ombudsman’s Office) on Friday (Mar 18) led a team of officials to investigate alleged land encroachment on Mai Khao Beach after the office received several complaints about businesses having been set up there.

The team arrived at the area, close to the Pru Jason Lake, with Navy officials and defence volunteers to find a number of temporary structures set up on public land.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/illegal-businesses-on-phuket-mai-khao-beach-to-be-demolished-in-15-days-56684.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-21

I'm not sure that I agree with this demolition policy. These temporary shops have not been set up on the beach - they are on the other side of the road that fronts the beach.

Apart from the overpriced shops in the 5-star hotels in that area, there are extremely few local shops available to the hotel guests, (and 'm sure the 5-star businesses want to keep the lower-priced competition away).

These small shops do provide an income for some of the local people - I would prefer to see a low level of regulated retail development in this area, with the shops paying a tax to rent their space, and that tax being used to keep the area clean etc etc.

But pigs will fly first :)

I'm not sure that I agree with this demolition policy. These temporary shops have not been set up on the beach - they are on the other side of the road that fronts the beach.

Apart from the overpriced shops in the 5-star hotels in that area, there are extremely few local shops available to the hotel guests, (and 'm sure the 5-star businesses want to keep the lower-priced competition away).

These small shops do provide an income for some of the local people - I would prefer to see a low level of regulated retail development in this area, with the shops paying a tax to rent their space, and that tax being used to keep the area clean etc etc.

But are they on public land or not?

Yes, Laguna wants ALL your money!
Not just 99%, ALL of it!

They should just put a clause into each persons check-in paperwork: "You will spend all of your money with the Laguna complex" No exceptions!

Not even Nikki Beach Club (or whatever they've changed their name to)

When you say these small shops provide income for some of the local people do you mean they provide an opportunity for locals to rip off tourists or is that just implied.

The reason people are so against these people that set up on the beach is that they rip you off with 80 baht cans of Coke and 220 baht noodles. They act like they own the beach, greet you with sour puss faces and if there is something wrong with your food they tell you to F off and threaten you.

When these people begin providing a fair service for a fair price the public may support them. Unfortunately the current attitude they have is you are my hostage so bend over and prepare to be extorted, oh and don't bother going 500 yards up the beach as we agreed they would charge the same prices.

But pigs will fly first smile.png

If all the businesses set up on public land in Phuket and Thailand in general were closed it would be a very sterile place. It's part of what makes Thailand the place it is whether it's right or not.

And if you read Simon's post properly, he does state, quite correctly, that they should pay to use the land for business purposes. What's wrong with that?

Yes, Laguna wants ALL your money!

Not just 99%, ALL of it!

They should just put a clause into each persons check-in paperwork: "You will spend all of your money with the Laguna complex" No exceptions!

Not even Nikki Beach Club (or whatever they've changed their name to)

Er, this is at Mai Khao Beach, so not Laguna. Anyway Dream Beach Club (ex-Nikki) at Layan is on leased land, so Laguna no-can-do anything.

An excellent idea, Simon. I would add that some sort of price control/regulation might be in order so as not to gouge customers.

The real problem that I see is that any "tax" collected is not likely appear in the government's coffers. The local governments on the island just can't be trusted to manage programs that can be easily gamed. This could easily turn into the same-old, same-old we've seen before, which is some "influential person" collecting "rent" for public property.

If all the businesses set up on public land in Phuket and Thailand in general were closed it would be a very sterile place. It's part of what makes Thailand the place it is whether it's right or not.

And if you read Simon's post properly, he does state, quite correctly, that they should pay to use the land for business purposes. What's wrong with that?

That's the system we used to have.

... do you mean they provide an opportunity for locals to rip off tourists or is that just implied.

Well, not all Thais are trying to rip off tourists, and not all Thais have sour puss faces.

I have visited these shops on a few occasions. There are smiles all round, the service is good and the prices are fair. (Just how it used to be many years ago at other beaches in Phuket).

I'm not saying that some stall owners will not try to rip off tourists - that happens all over the world. But market forces still apply ==> if your prices are too high and your service is lousy, then you'll have few/zero customers.

I have visited these shops on a few occasions. There are smiles all round, the service is good and the prices are fair. (Just how it used to be many years ago at other beaches in Phuket).

Fair points but it always starts this way and ends with "just how it used to be"

As you can tell I'm probably a bit jaded. Unfortunately my little corner of paradise at Layan has, how would you put it, "evolved commercially" which does take away from the enjoyment. I actually don't mind paying higher prices but now it's a triple whammy of higher prices, almost inedible food, and bad service.

Illegal structures in Mai Khao cemetery to be demolished
The Phuket News

1458883292_1-org.jpg
A number of temporary structures in the Pru Jason Lake area of Mai Khao are also to be demolished soon. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: -- A number of temporary buildings set up as shops in a cemetery area in Mai Khao Beach have been found to be illegal and will be demolished by April 15 the chief of the Damrongdhama Centre (Ombudsman’s Office) has told The Phuket News today (Mar 25).

Prapan Kanprasang Chief of the Damrongdhama Centre told The Phuket News today that there were 15 temporary shops set up in the cemetery area when officers went there to investigate last Friday (Mar 18).

The Mai Khao Moo 4 Village Headman (Phu Yai Ban) had come forward and told officials that he was the owner of the structures.

Mr Prapan said, “The Moo 4 Phu Yai Ban has been advised to tear down all temporary structures in the cemetery area and told that illegal structure s are not allowed on public land.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/illegal-structures-in-mai-khao-cemetery-to-be-demolished-56769.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-25