Filtered water ok to drink?

Kenny202

We normally get the 20l bottles delivered here in Khon Kaen. Now it's hotter and water in demand we are finding it difficult to get delivery. Last bloke promised 4 times over 4 days and still didn't come. Probably made enough for the day to buy his whisky and smokes and called it a day. Spoken to a few people in the area who also had the same problem and they told us they opted for a filter system. I was under the impression one of those 3 stage filters would only take out impurities, smell and particles. I didn't think they'd remove any bacteria or chemicals from the water. Is filtered tap water ok to drink? Our boiled water we drink every day for tea, coffee etc with no problem (except that other ear I'm growing). If I boiled tap water for drinking everyday would that be ok? We're in the centre of kk and water quality generally clear and good

Edited by Kenny202

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Our private well is 57m deep, pump to 10k liter tank then pump from there to big filter with zeolite, thence to house pipes. In the kitchen have a simple filter for the drinking water. Had the well water tested some years ago, verified by expert water chemist in big city in USA who said it is very pure in every respect. So just fill myself up from the tap but wifey being Thai insists on bottled water.

I'd be happy with well water. Less chance of chemicals permeating. I assume our tap.water in Khon kaen comes from the big dam in the middle of the city. (Or does it?). Many areas of the dam have severe algae bloom and rubbish. Not sure if it's treated or filtered before it arrives in the home

We have been drinking rain water for probably nine years. I have a stainless steel filter that holds eighteen liters of activated charcoal. The water then goes through a three filter small unit with the final filter being ceramic. Maybe overkill but I had the small three filter unit before I bought the big filter so I still use it. The water is totally without taste and we have had no problems.

Providing your supply water isn't terrible, the 5 stage system with UV here should do the trick:

http://www.duan-daw.com/category/5/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B7%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B7%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B3%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%8A%E0%B9%89

But with the algae blooms you mentioned, everyone using it would have the fully understand the importance of turning on the UV irradiation lamp before use (and turning it off again after, unless you want hot drinking water and frequent lamp replacement).

If the water quality still isn't good enough, adding a UF filter stage to it might also help:

http://www.duan-daw.com/category/34/%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B3/%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87-ro-membraneuf

We have been drinking rain water for probably nine years. I have a stainless steel filter that holds eighteen liters of activated charcoal. The water then goes through a three filter small unit with the final filter being ceramic. Maybe overkill but I had the small three filter unit before I bought the big filter so I still use it. The water is totally without taste and we have had no problems.

The ceramic sediment filter is normally the first stage, not the final stage - because it only filters out the larger contaminants. The reason it's made of ceramic (lesser ones are made of polypropylene) is so that it's easily washable / re-usable wink.png

Putting it in last probably just means your other filter elements are fouling up quicker than they should though.

The final stage in drinking water filters is almost always a post-carbon filter - unless you're using UV where it's always the final stage.

Edited by IMHO

I use in my house and recommend a very simple gravity filter 'Terra Clean' that removes debris and bacteria from water - key is water drips through a ceramic pot at a low flow and this just does all the filtration that is required. These are distributed in 'poorer countries' as key means to clean water where there is no power and piped water pressure. Key is the slow throughput that guarantees the passing water is cleaned. The drawback to commercial inline filters is that can get choked with a turbid water delivery and then bypass with no fail safe to demonstrate "heh I am still working"

Terra Clean distribute their Lao made water filters in Northern Thailand - and they are excellent - buy the top to take an upturned 20 litre plastic bottle and you have on counter storage of some 36 litres of clean drinking water from a mains supply source.

Check here http://www.laowater.com.

There are also similar units in Cambodia and Myanmar - for distribution to rural villages - but this Lao unit the 'Bees Knees'. This simple drip drip technology has been tried and tested for years and years - UK colonials used to be issued with 'Birkenfield' ceramic candle filters for years.

OK they would never sell in a Home Pro store promoting a commercial range of inline filters and cartridges - but simple key is they simply work drip by drip - probably because the key component is made for a few $.

I am not involved with them, just a happy customer, but I have been working in rural water last 40 years and recognise good technology.

and what exactly is bottled water??? do you really think it is imported canadian spring water? it is most likely just tap water that went through a filter as well.. if anyone has ever toured through a water bottling facility here in thailand i would sure love to know what their real system is

and what exactly is bottled water??? do you really think it is imported canadian spring water? it is most likely just tap water that went through a filter as well.. if anyone has ever toured through a water bottling facility here in thailand i would sure love to know what their real system is

of course it's just bottled tap water...probably filtered through a system that hasn't been cleaned for 2 years. We got 6 20l bottles delivered to our door yesterday for 10 baht a piece haha. I wouldn't carry 1 bottle to my back door for 10 baht much less fetch it, treat it and deliver it

Our private well is 57m deep, pump to 10k liter tank then pump from there to big filter with zeolite, thence to house pipes. In the kitchen have a simple filter for the drinking water. Had the well water tested some years ago, verified by expert water chemist in big city in USA who said it is very pure in every respect. So just fill myself up from the tap but wifey being Thai insists on bottled water.

Fine while it's in the well but the tank will be a breeding ground for bacteria!

Hi kenny202. There's a small thai water filter shop near the hospital in khong khean. Cant remember the name but the guy installed our water filter system near kuchinari.

We have two big backwashable tanks of zeaolite and carbon then big blue filter to a 6 stage reverse osmosis unit. Total cost was approx. B30000.

You probably dont need all that i installed as we had other issues.

Mrs not here with the guys phone no. But if you would like him to come and have a look pm me.

i have been here for a good number of years.I use the tap water to clean my teeth and for taking the occasional pill.I sometimes drink the tap water,because my wife 'forgets' to put bottled water on her shopping list.I now also live in Khon kaen and have never had any problems with drinking the tap water here.Have i got immune? i dont know,but i have never been sick or suffered any problems.If push comes to shove,i put a few bottles of tap water out in the sun for 24 hours.Sun light tends to kill the bacteria and i have not suffered in any way by doing this.I don't have a filter,just UV rays.I am not suggesting that this is the answer for everybody.In the Uk,water was my business and i have found that this knowledge has served me well over the years,but as i say,not for everybody.

The same method is good for people who suffer from 'trainer odour' just put your trainers out in the sun for a few hours and you will find that sunlight kills the bacteria in them as well.

just saying!

i have been here for a good number of years.I use the tap water to clean my teeth and for taking the occasional pill.I sometimes drink the tap water,because my wife 'forgets' to put bottled water on her shopping list.I now also live in Khon kaen and have never had any problems with drinking the tap water here.Have i got immune? i dont know,but i have never been sick or suffered any problems.If push comes to shove,i put a few bottles of tap water out in the sun for 24 hours.Sun light tends to kill the bacteria and i have not suffered in any way by doing this.I don't have a filter,just UV rays.I am not suggesting that this is the answer for everybody.In the Uk,water was my business and i have found that this knowledge has served me well over the years,but as i say,not for everybody.

The same method is good for people who suffer from 'trainer odour' just put your trainers out in the sun for a few hours and you will find that sunlight kills the bacteria in them as well.

just saying!

Sunlight is just the opposite - it promotes organic life growth. Just ask any pool owner ;)

That's why potable water tanks are always light proof.

Edited by IMHO

I expect most bottling plants have their own borehole source, use a filtration system, and test for bacteria. The disinfection they use to kill bacteria may involve UV during the filtration process, but prior to bottling the use ozone (O 3, or Trioxygen).

As for rainwater, I'd be very wary about that too. Even falling from the sky it can contain contaminants, anyone remember the acid rain that caused widespread damage in the northern parts of the UK! Even if the rain managed to reach your place without atmospheric contaminants it can pick up all manner of contaminants. How do you harvest the rain? If it's collected from a roof and guttering system I'd ask you where birds sit and defecate, and where do you store your rainwater? Do you think that the guttering and downpipes are immune from bacteria? Is your storage tank free of dead insects and birds?

In the UK the water supply companies go to great lengths to disinfect pipes and storage tanks, they have laboratories to conduct regular tests for the lack of bacteria and the correct level of Chlorine. If you're drinking water that is unchecked, how do you know how bacteria free it is, even if you are using all the latest disinfection and filtration equipment?

While in South Sudan I learned how the ceramic candles work in the gravity filters we used. The ceramic is porous, allowing water through, but not particles. The ceramic candles contain silver which reacts chemically with the water to disinfect it. I spent a year drinking this filtered water without any problems.

Filtration is all very well, but without an effective disinfection system the bacteria will survive. Even if you've filtered and disinfected, how do you store it and long is it stores before consumption?

Unless it's stores in sterile conditions bacteria will return.

just saying!

Sunlight is just the opposite - it promotes organic life growth. Just ask any pool owner ;)

That's why potable water tanks are always light proof.

Yes, but you try explaining that to my gf, she used to leave the 20 litre water bottles outside in the bright sunshine until I insisted they were kept inside.

About bacteria in the filtered water. This may not be too scientific but if you test the conductivity of the water and you get a 0 reading could you assume there are no conductive particles in the water or probably no bacteria, specially after it passes through a 9 stage filter including reverse osmosis?

A reverse osmosis system is probably as good as it gets, or a multi stage and UV system. Here is a link to a CDC article on the subject:http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/home-water-treatment/household_water_treatment.html
I have been drinking rainwater in Arizona for the past ten years... a good design will include a "flushing" downspout that wastes the first twenty or so gallons which will contain the bird shit, etc. This can be shunted off to a separate tank for car washing, laundry, what have you.
The water is then pumped through a fine, activated charcoal filter and into a storage tank, where it will be treated with Chlorine for final disinfection. A few days and the chlorine has gassed off enough to be undetectable. Final filtration for drinking purposes is via a Brita tap mounted filter, which can be set to bypass for washing, etc., in order to prolong the filter life.

Why would you need to filter rain water?

Because, as noted earlier in the thread, Dan, it must be collected before you drink it. Collecting involves roof surfaces, gutters, etc., which birds crap on, free roaming bacteria and pollutants accumulate on, etc., etc.

Not quite the same as a reservoir which also has the above, but has millions of times the volume of water, and is "self cleaning".....up to a point. Then, too, it is usually treated before delivery to a municipal water supply.

I fondly remember hiking in wilderness areas, and flopping down streamside for a refreshing drink of cold, clear mountain water. I do not know of many places I would do that today/

Water molecules in the atmosphere initially need a particle (dust, bacteria etc) to adhere to in order to form a raindrop..... I think,.....If my memory serves me correctly....