Wecast HDMI Dongle doesn't work with Windows 7!

Mobi

I think I might have wasted 800 odd Baht.

Before buying this Wecast HDMI dongle, I did a fair bit of research to find out how it works. I read reviews, I looked at YouTube vids as well as reading the specs in detail as regards to what computers etc. I can use it with.

The reason I wanted it, was to eliminate the HMI cable between my laptop and the TV when I watch movies etc in the evenings. Also, when I ran a bar, 2 years ago, people told me to 'get an HDMI dongle.' and eliminate all the cables to my TV monitors.

So I did.

I connected the dongle to my LG TV, as per instructions, and I got the Wecast screen up on the TV.

Then I went to the Wecast website on my laptop and succeeded in connecting my home wifi to the dongle. My laptop showed the Wecast internet as connected, as does the Wecast screen on the TV. My laptop accessed the internet as normal through the Wecast internet connection.

But that was it. I couldn't find any screen or 'buttons' on my laptop which would activate the screen sharing.

So I did some more research.

For some reason I am unable to fathom, there was no mention on any of the sites I looked at that these dongles will not work with W7.

Apparently, I needed to install an Intel Widi Driver. So I downloaded one that said it was suitable for W7 from Intel, but when I tried to install it, I got the message that my processors, wireless card etc and just about everything else was incompatible with Intel Widi.

So I guess that's it, unless someone out there knows a way around it. I'm just annoyed that even the instructions that came with the dongle do not mention that I must use W8 or better.

I can probably use it with my Android phone, but haven't tried yet, as that's not why I bought it.

Any suggestions?....

Should have just bought a Chromecast but I don't suppose that helps.

I didn't realise there were different technologies at play.

Any idea how much a Chromecast will cost, and how can I be sure it will do the job?

AFAIK Chromecast costs around 2000B in Thailand.

Will it do the job? depends on what job exactly. If you mosty watch movies on Youtube, yes it definitely will.

From other streaming sources, generally it will too because you can send the contents of any Chrome tab over. You need a computer with good specs for this to work smoothly, though e.g. not a 5 years old laptop.

If you watch AVI or MKV movies off your hard disk, there are Chrome extension to play them over the Chromecast, but in my experience they're not 100% failure-proof. Some file formats are not supported.

Chromecast client software lives within Chrome, so whatever computer which can run Chrome will support the Chromecast. I'm currently using mine from PCs running WXP, W7 and W8.1.

Edited by Lannig

Will it do the job? depends on what job exactly. If you mosty watch movies on Youtube, yes it definitely will.

From other streaming sources, generally it will too because you can send the contents of any Chrome tab over. You need a computer with good specs for this to work smoothly, though e.g. not a 5 years old laptop.

If you watch AVI or MKV movies off your hard disk, there are Chrome extension to play them over the Chromecast, but in my experience they're not 100% failure-proof. Some file formats are not supported.

Chromecast client software lives within Chrome, so whatever computer which can run Chrome will support the Chromecast. I'm currently using mine from PCs running WXP, W7 and W8.1.

My computer runs Chrome. My main use is divided between playing movies etc from my hard disk, (mainly avi files, but some MKV and other file formats) and watching TV programmes from my UK TV software.

With an HDMI cable, I can extend the screen on my laptop and watch anything that is on my laptop - movies, UK TV, YouTube, web pages, anything.

Will Chromecast do all this?

Thanks

My computer runs Chrome. My main use is divided between playing movies etc from my hard disk, (mainly avi files, but some MKV and other file formats) and watching TV programmes from my UK TV software.

With an HDMI cable, I can extend the screen on my laptop and watch anything that is on my laptop - movies, UK TV, YouTube, web pages, anything.

Will Chromecast do all this?

Thanks

Yes, plus Google apps for the phone are Chromecast enabled (Chrome, Youtube).

I've never had any problem playing my own media files using the Videostream extension in Chrome.

AIS fibre gives you a free android box with your subscription. Android can share files with windows on your laptop. Splashtop also lets you remote your laptop. Cheetah lets you sync files between laptop and android box.

Well, if you are just playing music, video and browsing...why not a small android box...why even try to broadcast your pc over wifi? (it is slow). An android box is not much more expensive. I can do most anything on the box...that I would do online with my laptop

If you simply want to sit farther than a hdmi cable can reach...just get a remote keyboard and park your laptop behind/above your tv. I use Logitech remote keyboard with a mousepad. It is very durable...and very spiffy....for my fifty inch screen across the room. My stereo speakers are on the wall above the tv..with my laptop.

Edited by slipperylobster

This sales website says it does work with Win 7 to include even earlier Microsoft OSs.

http://www.gearbest.com/networking-communication/pp_134247.html

Support System: Windows Vista, Windows 98SE, Mac OS, Windows ME, Linux, Windows 2000, Android, Windows XP, IOS, Windows 7, Windows 98, Windows 8

Yes, that is one of the websites I looked at before I bought it.

After a LOT of research, I discovered that Miricast will only work if the PC has an Intel Widi driver. I found this info on many tech support sites.

If the PC is very new and has the correct drivers , it will work on W7. The driver I downloaded from intel stated it would work on W7. But As I said in my OP, when I tried to install it, I was informed that all my other stuff would not support the Intel Widi driver....and therefore not miricast ....and therefore not the Wecast dongle.

If you look at all the Youtube demo vids you will not find a single one that shows a setup with W7. They are all showing W 8.1 or W10. I thought of upgrading to W 10, but I then found it won't solve the problem for my PC.

It's more down to the specs of the PC or laptop, rather than the OS. But a rule of thumb is that most Pc's/laptops more than 3 years old running W7, (like mine), probably won't work with a miricast dongle.

But you can see why I was confused, and why I am now a little p...off!!!

But thanks for your efforts.

AIS fibre gives you a free android box with your subscription. Android can share files with windows on your laptop. Splashtop also lets you remote your laptop. Cheetah lets you sync files between laptop and android box.

Well, if you are just playing music, video and browsing...why not a small android box...why even try to broadcast your pc over wifi? (it is slow). An android box is not much more expensive. I can do most anything on the box...that I would do online with my laptop

If you simply want to sit farther than a hdmi cable can reach...just get a remote keyboard and park your laptop behind/above your tv. I use Logitech remote keyboard with a mousepad. It is very durable...and very spiffy....for my fifty inch screen across the room. My stereo speakers are on the wall above the tv..with my laptop.

I'm still a bit hazy on how this Android box works. All the stuff I watch is either downloaded on my hard disk or has been recorded earlier in my UK TV software.

The cable length is not a problem - it's just that it gets in the way. Yes, I could fix it so that it runs overhead and back down agian but I am in rented accommodation and I don't want to start banging in cable clips. I tried taping it on the floor and that worked for a while until the cable became unusable - I guess people treading on it didn't help. (I have been through many cables this way - much more than the cost of a dongle). Currently, I just lay the cable on the floor, and my dogs often trip over it and my young bulldog tries to eat it...

So the ideal solution seemed to be a dongle.

I have a remote keyboard, but I really need to operate from a mouse. I do everything from the mouse - control volume, find and play vids etc. It acts like a remote control, but better. I will try putting the laptop under the TV and use the remote mouse. It might work.

Thanks for all the suggestions smile.png

I use a NAS connected to my router and move everything to that.

An Android box, also connected to the router, and plugged into the HDMI, gives an easy-to-use GUI to play what you want.

Add Kodi (or an appropriate app) and you have TV streaming.

Even an Amazon Fire Stick will allow you to play content from your networked storage straight to the TV, as well as giving you Netflix capability. (And it will run Kodi!).

These Chinese Miracast Dongles don't work with Windows 7!

I have a few of them (Anycast 15$, Aliexpress).

You will need Win 10 (not sure about 8/8.1) or Android which have native Support for such dongles.

With W10 you can even extend your screen, not just mirror it, like Android.

Edited by Turkleton

After a LOT of research, I discovered that Miricast will only work if the PC has an Intel Widi driver. I found this info on many tech support sites.

When using an Intel WIDI driver I think your computer's Wifi chip has to a an Intel Wifi chip. Does your computer have an Intel Wifi chip or does it use another manufacturer's chip like Qualcomm, etc. Look at your Windows Device Manager "Network Adapters" if unsure...it will show what Wifi chip you have assuming your Wifi chip is working properly.

Yea, after reading up on Intel WIDI and Miracast I agree that it appears (but I'm far from sure) unless you are running the right Intel CPU and Intel Wifi chip the Intel WIDI driver will not install/load. I think if your computer was compatible with the Intel WIFI you would be home free. So, unless you can get Intel WIDI driver loaded on your computer (and it wont' without the right Intel CPU/Wifi chip) you are probably pissing into the wind in trying to get the Wecast to work on Win 7. And Miracast capability was built into Win 8.1 and Win 10; not Win 7. Maybe another reason to retire the legacy Win 7 OS and move on to Win 10....hope this statement don't offend any OS religious principle. wink.png

P.S. I've got two Lenovo laptops running Win 10 Pro just fine...one is about 2.5 years old and one is about 3 months old. But I do have a 10 year old Toshiba laptop that will go to its grave with Win 7 on it since it not compatible with Win 10 due to a non-compatible ATI video GPU. So until I bury that Toshiba I will be part of the Win 7 and Win 10 religious sects.

Might be worth aquiring a (cheap) ancient computer running WinXP, and trying that.

I have two different BlazeTV dongles, they wouldn't speak to Win7, but work well with a 13 year old Dell running XP. AA

This sales website says it does work with Win 7 to include even earlier Microsoft OSs.

http://www.gearbest.com/networking-communication/pp_134247.html

Support System: Windows Vista, Windows 98SE, Mac OS, Windows ME, Linux, Windows 2000, Android, Windows XP, IOS, Windows 7, Windows 98, Windows 8

if there is a hardware incompatibility as he states in an earlier response, the software compatibility means very little

I tried it with my remote mouse last night and it worked a treat.

This seems to have solved my problem for now, as the distance is quite short. and is within the range of the mouse. I'm too far away to see the laptop screen properly, so instead of extending the screen, I will duplicate them (mirror) so that I can control everything from the large TV screen.

I don't know why I didn't think of it myself, but many thanks to slipperylobster for the idea. That's what this forum is all about - the most useful one by far on Thai Visa, and almost devoid of trolls and 'bad-mouthers.'

I guess I will keep the dongle for the day when I buy a new laptop - but that's a few years away as long as my trusty Acer keeps going....

I'm too far away to see the laptop screen properly, so instead of extending the screen, I will duplicate them (mirror) so that I can control everything from the large TV screen.

The problem with "mirroring" is, that your laptop screen has to be always on, and a video has to be rendered/processed twice by your CPU/GPU.

I would suggest to use the TV as your primary screen, so you can turn off your Laptop display.

I'm too far away to see the laptop screen properly, so instead of extending the screen, I will duplicate them (mirror) so that I can control everything from the large TV screen.

The problem with "mirroring" is, that your laptop screen has to be always on, and a video has to be rendered/processed twice by your CPU/GPU.

I would suggest to use the TV as your primary screen, so you can turn off your Laptop display.

Good idea. I'll try that.

As a matter of interest, what is the problem concerning the video being rendered/processed twice by the CPU/GPU?

Is it a matter of wear & tear? or power usage? Or does it degrade the quality?

As a matter of interest, what is the problem concerning the video being rendered/processed twice by the CPU/GPU?

graphics card (if onboard) works harder... you would put your (hopefully quadcore cpu) in max performance mode. Right click on power settings and put it on High Performance. I put mine on BitSum...which is the highest.

You won't notice lag...mirroring...if you are not playing games. I take it you just are watching videos or playing music or browsing. No lag that matters...I use two tv's (dual monitors)) one fifty inch and one 36. Everything I do has no graphic lag.... I "extend" my fifty inch to my thirty six inch. I use hdmi for the fifty inch and vga for the 36 inch. That way, I can watch video on one, and surf on the other. You might want two tv's...side by side. Can also put playlist on one and the video on the other....lots of things

I also use a program (optional) called display fusion. it makes it a bit easier to use dual monitors.

If you are happy....mirroring is ok...or shut off the laptop. Just remember....if things go awkward...uplug the hdmi and revert back to you laptop...as some program windows may get stuck in neverland...

Edited by slipperylobster

You may notice lag or stuttering, especially if the video is encoded in h.264/265 and has a high bitrate.

Additionally, the power consumption is much higher and may cause your laptop fan running continuously on maximum speed.

Edited by Turkleton

It's funny, I had one of the original external (not portable) HDDs, and a audioconferencing speaker that both worked fine with Win XP, but for inexplicable reasons both vendors decided not to bother writing a driver for Windows 7. Try as I might they would not work.

A few years later I spotted them after I'd migrated to Windows 8, and plugged them in for a laugh.

They both installed a driver and worked fine. They continue to work on Win10.

Maybe the OP should do the Win10 upgrade.

It's funny, I had one of the original external (not portable) HDDs, and a audioconferencing speaker that both worked fine with Win XP, but for inexplicable reasons both vendors decided not to bother writing a driver for Windows 7. Try as I might they would not work.

A few years later I spotted them after I'd migrated to Windows 8, and plugged them in for a laugh.

If the hardware is not compatible, how will upgrading to W 10 help?

Intel have already told me that Widi will not work with my processor, my wireless card or my graphics driver.

Anyway, for what it's worth, the dongle works on my Samsung Note 2, so nothing wrong with the dongle, but it's not much use to me.

Intel have already told me that Widi will not work with my processor, my wireless card or my graphics driver.

Anyway, for what it's worth, the dongle works on my Samsung Note 2, so nothing wrong with the dongle, but it's not much use to me.

I doubt the dongle is addressing the hardware directly.

But out of interest, what processor/wifi chip/graphics card are you using?

I doubt the dongle is addressing the hardware directly.

But out of interest, what processor/wifi chip/graphics card are you using?

Mobi is correct, without compatible hardware it just doesn't work.

I have a Baytrail convertible,running W10, which just works fine with WIDI/Miracast.

But an older laptop, running W10, can't connect with the Miracast stick.

I guess, the Wifi hardware needs to support the WIDI/Miracast protocol, which older Chipsets just don't do.

Edited by Turkleton