Chinese tourists say taxi robbed them at gunpoint

webfact

Chinese Tourists Say Taxi Robbed Them at Gunpoint
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14586425611458642579l.jpg
Two Chinese women provide testimony to police Tuesday at a Pathum Thani police station.

PATHUM THANI — Two Chinese tourists allege they were robbed at gunpoint by a taxi driver in northwestern metro Bangkok last night.

The two women hailed a cab from BTS Mo Chit on Monday night but instead of taking them to the nearby Northeastern Bus Terminal, the driver drove them to Pathum Thani and robbed them at gunpoint, according to local police officer Lt. Col. Panya Lekdee.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1458642561&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-03-23

“We are trying to narrow down the possible suspects.” ................starting with a list of all taxi drivers in Bangkok! Don't expect quick results.

Many tourists are robbed by taxi drivers. A gun is not usually required and the majority of tourists probably don't fully realise what has happened.

Edited by metisdead
Font.

before the thai apologists show up and claims: "this is a rare accident, its happen everywhere, blablabla"

there have been a string of crimes against tourists in recent weeks. On Sunday night, three Taiwanese tourists were allegedly robbed by armed suspects near the popular resort town of Pattaya, and on 3 September a Chinese tourist was reportedly robbed in the same area.

In late-August, another Chinese tourist was physically assaulted and robbed by a taxi driver on her way to Bangkok's Don Mueang Airport.

link :http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1410254797

Edited by Bender

for the thai apologists, an another robbery :

At a police press conference yesterday, Mr. Somphot confessed to picking up a Chinese passenger from Chulalongkorn University on 21 August and charging her 1,500 baht for a trip to Don Mueang Airport, a fare far above the regular price charged by metered taxis.

The taxi driver also confessed to parking the car in a secluded area near the Motorway in Bangkok's suburbs and repeatedly punching the Chinese tourist in the stomach in an attempt to rob her, confirming what the tourist told police last week.

Mr. Somphot said he drove away with the tourist's belongings after she fled the car in terror. She had left 3,000 baht in cash, air plane tickets, and clothes inside the vehicle. He said he used all the money for "alcohol and gambling."

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1408949144&section=12

Edited by Bender

A novel business venture to get some money out of the Chinese tourists, who are generally on pre paid holidays... Joke.

But seriously... I hope the taxi driver was appropriately dressed to set a good example for tourists. ???

The mo chit mafia taxis are the one thing I honestly dislike about Thailand. They sit with their lights off, so they are technically on break all night. They ask 1500 baht for a 90 baht trip. If you try to hail another driver they stand near you to drive them away. Then they sit in a group laughing at you and suggest you start walking. Creeps, not blaming the victim but she never should've hopped in that cab.

The mo chit mafia taxis are the one thing I honestly dislike about Thailand. They sit with their lights off, so they are technically on break all night. They ask 1500 baht for a 90 baht trip. If you try to hail another driver they stand near you to drive them away. Then they sit in a group laughing at you and suggest you start walking. Creeps, not blaming the victim but she never should've hopped in that cab.

A few years back I regularly got a taxi from mo chit, some could speak English and they were always pleasant to me. I think you'll find that the case today too. Don't tar everyone with the same brush. The 1,500 baht for a 90 baht ride, side to your story seems far fetched. Maybe like your post portrays of you as a person also rubbed off on taxi drivers who gave you a lift. They drove you round the houses because you drove them into a rage with you anti-Thai bs.

A few years back I regularly got a taxi from mo chit, some could speak English and they were always pleasant to me. I think you'll find that the case today too. Don't tar everyone with the same brush. The 1,500 baht for a 90 baht ride, side to your story seems far fetched. Maybe like your post portrays of you as a person also rubbed off on taxi drivers who gave you a lift. They drove you round the houses because you drove them into a rage with you anti-Thai bs.

What anti-Thai BS are you referring to? Because I can only see an observation which likely contains more than a grain of truth.

I get taxis from Mo Chit BTS fairly often, and while the taxis waiting at the kerb are definitely controlled by someone I mostly don't have any problems. I tell the guy in charge where I want to go, tell him I will use the tollway, he selects a taxi, the meter is switched on and off we go. I've had problems getting a cab to DMK during peak hour but there is always one that will take you. 1500 baht for a 90 baht trip? Never had anything like that happen to me.

On my last trip from MoChit bus terminal to my hotel near OnNut BTS, I had to stand in a queue. As the taxi's pulled up, riders were directed to which taxi to get into. The fare was metered and was less than 300 baht. This was last March.