Which other Asian cities compare favorably to BKK in regards to cost of living and lifestyle?

Andy2310

I think value for money and all-around lifestyle advantages these days in SE Asia go not to the big capitals but the second-tier cities, like Danang, Kota Kinabalu, Georgetown, Battambang etc. Or one of the more pleasant Thai provincial cities, like Ubon or Chan. Depends really on how much you need the more cosmopolitan amenities of the megacities.

I have yet to go to Japan, will probably never set foot in mainland China

Been almost every where else in SE Asia, Even with all the negatives, Thailand for me craps over anywhere else

Manilla is one of the biggest ****holes on the plant, Singapore and Hong Kong....garrhh, Anywhere in Indonesia pffft

Yes, saigon would be next one down on the list after Krungtep (BKK)

But Ive never lived and worked in any of these places

Been almost every where else in SE Asia, Even with all the negatives, Thailand for me craps over anywhere else

Manilla is one of the biggest ****holes on the plant, Singapore and Hong Kong....garrhh, Anywhere in Indonesia pffft

Japan is not as expensive as many folks will say. And for the price you get a very well developed lifestyle, very safe and clean and mannered and very helpfull educated people around you.

"saigon" does not exist. It is Ho Chi Minh City. Best to enter the 21st century.

Rural Bali (in Indonesia) is breathtaking. The tourist traps are tourist traps.

Singapore is a fantastic place to visit and live. Just don't break the law......

You're Welcome!! smile.png

"saigon" does not exist. It is Ho Chi Minh City. Best to enter the 21st century.

All Vietnamese people who live in Saigon (except government officials) still call it Saigon.

We have different experiences.

But, then again, I haven't actually spoken to All the Vietnamese non-government officials who live in HCMC, as you apparently have......

Whilst I do love living in Bangkok, Hong Kong and Singapore do still beat it hands down simply based on rule of law and lack of corruption (plus faster internet, better mobile phone networks and many other advantages)

Sure the corruption etc doesn't seem to affect me on a daily basis in Bangkok, until I think about getting a motorbike and realise that as a farang I'm going to be handing over 100 baht notes frequently to corrupt traffic police.

Also in Hong Kong (where I have permanent residency) I can work or setup a sole proprietor business without hassle, versus here where the rules make it very hard for foreign entrepreneurs to starts SME's.

Bangkok's saving grace is the pace of improvements to things like the internet speeds and 3G/4G is pretty good and rent is crazy cheap by comparison to HK or SG.

Personally I could never live in a non capital city.

Small provincial cities lack the type of people I want to meet and be friends with (actually also a problem in Bangkok, because of Thailand's restrictions on expats working here, another reason HK & SG are miles ahead)

Agree 100% w the poster above. For a entrepenour whom wants to start a business thailand sucks.

I hear taiwan gives investors visas w only 7k usd investments. I also only like to live in big cities.

If money was not an issue I would go to HK. Simgapore is just too hot all year.

I am planning to go see taipei, I hear it has cool weather, excellent infrastructure and easy visa requirements to get a residency. Just a bit more expensive than BKK but the quality of life is 1st world

Rural Bali (in Indonesia) is breathtaking. The tourist traps are tourist traps.

Singapore is a fantastic place to visit and live. Just don't break the law......

You probably call Burma, Myanmar. You're welcome.

Ecuador - Not been there myself but have friend of a friend who has recently set up home there.

http://internationalliving.com/countries/ecuador/retire/

Ummmmmm, I think he asked about cities in Asia.

Not that I have anything against the country of Ecuador......

Which city in "rural" Indonesia were you suggesting? And recommending Singapore makes sense as its just so darn reasonable to live there.

Which city in "rural" Indonesia were you suggesting? And recommending Singapore makes sense as its just so darn reasonable to live there.

Maybe my eyes are failing me. I don't see where I recommended any city in Indonesia, rural or otherwise. I simply stated an opinion in opposition to that of a previous poster. But I am glad to read that you, too, understand the numerous advantages to residing in a developed nation like Singapore.

Perhaps English is not your native language......

You're VERY Welcome!! smile.png

Edited by Mr Money Bags

What about Kuala Lumpur? I've heard the cost of living is similar to here, it's a bit more clean and organised plus the English level of the citizens is much better. Although I'm slightly put off by the predominantly Muslim culture.

Jakarta also looks interesting but sounds even more chaotic than Bangkok.

My choice would be one of the 1st world mega cities like Tokyo, Hong Kong or Singapore but I think you would have to find a great paying job to have a similar lifestyle to here. The rent prices in those cities are crazy high.

Japan is not as expensive as many folks will say. And for the price you get a very well developed lifestyle, very safe and clean and mannered and very helpfull educated people around you.

Thats true about the cost, however I found Japan to be the most boring country I have visited.

too bland & sterile

Love Shanghai.

Very clean,

Clean public toilets, aka Singapore.

Very safe(coppers everywhere!),

Not cheap but not too expensive.

Excellent subway system(most price you will pay for a fare is 5Yuan. just over $1 Aust).

Extensive inner city bus service. Some trolly buses for the enthusiast.

Modern lnternational Airport.

Modern rail system to the rest of China

Taxi drivers seem honest, with an authoritarian government they are probably not game to step out of line. lol!

Good roads,

Good hotels,

Great eateries, good western food. French food in the former French Concession.

Plenty of touristy sights & tours.

Good coffee,

Plenty of pretty girls.

**********************************************************************************************************************

Downside:

Crazy traffic

Anything imported is VERY expensive. inadvertently, l bought a can of shaving cream imported from ltaly(wealthy Chinese just have to have imported goods), cost of shaving cream was $35.

Plenty of scammers.

Dense crowds.

Edited by soc

How's the air quality in Shanghai?

l knew that Beijing air was polluted as my eldest daughter had been there with her husband & told me about it.

l took my youngest daughter with me to the Shanghai motor show(our first visit to China)& expected the same.

However the air was cool & fresh(it was april, spring in the northern hemisphere)& definitely not polluted at all.

There was a fresh easterly breeze (from the sea?) & a clear blue sky.

We were there only 9 days, so l cannot say what the rest of the year is like.

l found the air invigorating.

I have never lived there, but I had a great time on numerous work trips to Shenzhen China. Speaking Chinese helps. For weekend diversions, there are hydroplanes to Hong Kong and Macao.

Hope you didn't go to any "all you can eat" buffets.

Jakarta - Best Kept Secret in SE Asia! thumbsup.gif clap2.gif

Gets many honorable mentions in the thread "Bangkok is the second-most congested city in the world". To me all the cities that cause you to waste away your life stuck in traffic are places to avoid.