Wildlife, ecology and all things green - no forum?

I find it strange given Thailand's appalling record on both animal welfare and the environment that there is no forum on TV dedicated to this topic.

At present Thailand is increasingly in the worlds focus and all for the wrong reasons...smuggling, cruelty, exploitation extinction of species and habitat. they are still being scrutinised by CITES over elephants and ivory and yet TV doesn't seem to think this topic deserves a place for discussion.

From some of the threads I've seen on thaiVisa the ignorance of the issues is not just the preserve of the authorities, it extends deeply into ThaiVisa membership too.

Maybe a forum on this broad topic could lift the cloud of ignorance form some members too?

I would suggest this is a classic example of a member not understanding what animal welfare and ecology means - it would also include conservation.

this has little or nothing directly to do with pets - how would you equate an oil spill on Koh samet or a Dam in Northern Thailand to pets?

As for plants - well how many tropical rain forests have members planted?

You mean defining what should bve included? The general forum has a wide remit and seems to function.

I think it is largely a political thing.

If you look at the general forum, you will see that almost half the topics need to be directed elsewhere.

You mean defining what should bve included? The general forum has a wide remit and seems to function.

I think it is largely a political thing.

If you look at the general forum, you will see that almost half the topics need to be directed elsewhere.

So no problem then?

I agree with cumgranosaum and strongly disagree with CharlieH. 12,000 posts? Where? not on Plants Pets Vets or Farming forums where this topic/topics of environmental issues sometimes come up. Maybe this will get me censored for disrespecting a "global moderator", but cumgranosaum's observation is pertinent, this is a fundamental weakness in TV attitudes and input IMO, and if a 'global moderator' with 12,000 posts doesn't get it, then who will?

The Plants, Pets and Vets is rarely about plants and environment, look at the pinned discussions, not one on plants or environmental issues. There is much more in this direction on the Farming forum and its Organic subforum but still not discussed there in depth.

ThaiVisa administrators please take note of cumgranosaum's suggestion, and respect this as one of the most positive and potentially impactful ideas that I have seen on TV recently. Don

On a positive note, and within the subject of plants and the scope of this forum, there are some good efforts being made by Thai and expat professionals and NGOs to improve environmental awareness and promote ecological activities. Here are some that I am aware:

The organic sub-forum of the Farming in Thailand forum has many discussions on subjects related to environmentally responsible horticulture and transitioning away from high risk pesticides and chemical fertilizers.

The Dept of Agriculture has a biological control division, promoting alternatives to synthetic high risk pesticides.

The Royal Forestry Dept was instrumental in the moratorium on logging, and has an International Forestry Cooperation Office which facilitates exchanges with positive action programs in Asia and elsewhere.

Some of the major universities like Kasetsart, Chulalonghorn and MaeJo U have agriculture and environmental programs and are turning out the educators and environmental activists of the future. There are training programs for tree doctors and workers through RFD, Chula and MaeJo U landscape architecture departments.

OurChiangMai.com and the related Gum Hak Doi Suthep organization lead by Australian expat Ricky Ward is interacting with government and private groups like Big Tree Chiang Mai, for reforestation and urban tree planting and preservation.

The US Consulate in Chiang Mai as a "green team" leader facilitating environmental issues.

Global Witness NGO, from a base in Thailand, has sponsored some important studies and exposure of corruption and excesses in environmental degradation, like their 2003 report "A Conflict Of Interest - The uncertain future of Burma's forests", regarding Chinese logging exploitation of teak forests in northern Burma. The principal researcher and author is a mountain biking friend of mine.

Cycling groups are promoting bike lanes and cycling as an alternative to excessive automobile use.

There is much more, but it may be hard to see with all the negative views and news.

On a positive note, and within the subject of plants and the scope of this forum, there are some good efforts being made by Thai and expat professionals and NGOs to improve environmental awareness and promote ecological activities. Here are some that I am aware:

The organic sub-forum of the Farming in Thailand forum has many discussions on subjects related to environmentally responsible horticulture and transitioning away from high risk pesticides and chemical fertilizers.

The Dept of Agriculture has a biological control division, promoting alternatives to synthetic high risk pesticides.

The Royal Forestry Dept was instrumental in the moratorium on logging, and has an International Forestry Cooperation Office which facilitates exchanges with positive action programs in Asia and elsewhere.

Some of the major universities like Kasetsart, Chulalonghorn and MaeJo U have agriculture and environmental programs and are turning out the educators and environmental activists of the future. There are training programs for tree doctors and workers through RFD, Chula and MaeJo U landscape architecture departments.

OurChiangMai.com and the related Gum Hak Doi Suthep organization lead by Australian expat Ricky Ward is interacting with government and private groups like Big Tree Chiang Mai, for reforestation and urban tree planting and preservation.

The US Consulate in Chiang Mai as a "green team" leader facilitating environmental issues.

Global Witness NGO, from a base in Thailand, has sponsored some important studies and exposure of corruption and excesses in environmental degradation, like their 2003 report "A Conflict Of Interest - The uncertain future of Burma's forests", regarding Chinese logging exploitation of teak forests in northern Burma. The principal researcher and author is a mountain biking friend of mine.

Cycling groups are promoting bike lanes and cycling as an alternative to excessive automobile use.

There is much more, but it may be hard to see with all the negative views and news.

Agreed - if we had an "eco-forum" we wouldn't have to scan all over various forums for this sort of stuff it could be brought together under one heading or at least have the links to pertinent topics elsewhere on the site.

Archived