Swift arrest in sex attack on Russian tourist in Samui - Thai man held

Jonathan Fairfield

Swift arrest in sex attack on Russian tourist in Samui - Thai man held
Thaivisa Reporters

post-137452-0-88359000-1458745980_thumb.
Image: Daily news

SURAT THANI:-- Samui police have made a quick arrest of a man charged in the robbery and attempted rape of a young Russian tourist in Mae Nam, reports Thaivisa News.

A Phunphin man has admitted to four other similar offences, investigators said.

When faced with the evidence the alleged attempted rapist broke down claiming he robbed the victim to get money for his two children.

The vicious attack on the holiday island took place at night on Wednesday last week as Miss Marina Glagoliva, 32,was walking in the area close to the Phu Khao Thong temple.

A tall man on a motorbike stopped and leapt on her and took 20,000 baht she was carrying. He then grabbed her by the throat and attempted to drag her into the undergrowth and rape her.

Only the yelling of the spirited young Russian saved her as the startled assailant escaped into the night on his bike.

Investigators of the Samui police quickly discovered that the likely attacker was a man called Seksan (alias Joe) Thongphijit who was working as a construction worker on a site nearby. They went to arrest him but he had fled the island in panic.

Further investigations led officers to Seksan's house on the mainland in Phunphin, where he was arrested at his lodgings along with sports clothing police claim was worn in the attack and a knife.

Miss Glagoliva had no difficulty identifying her assailant Wednesday, said investigator Paitoon Krajajang of the Samui police. When faced with the evidence Seksan burst into tears saying he was so sorry for what he had done.

He claimed he had robbed the tourist to get money for his two children as cash from construction work was not sufficient.

He admitted to police that he was also responsible for four other similar cases though it was not immediately known where these took place. He was charged and remanded in custody.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-23

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"He claimed he had robbed the tourist to get money for his two children as cash from construction work was not sufficient." wai2.gif

And the attempted rape? Which may have ended in murder? "he was arrested ... with sports clothing police claim was worn in the attack and a knife."

"He then grabbed her by the throat and attempted to drag her into the undergrowth and rape her."

Was that for your children and their mother as well?

I call: Lying, psychopathic scumbag.

" When faced with the evidence Seksan burst into tears saying he was so sorry for what he had done.

He claimed he had robbed the tourist to get money for his two children as cash from construction work was not sufficient."

Well, he said sorry, and blamed something else as a reason, that is as good as it would get....

500 Baht fine, case closed.... Next....

coffee1.gif

" When faced with the evidence Seksan burst into tears saying he was so sorry for what he had done.
He claimed he had robbed the tourist to get money for his two children as cash from construction work was not sufficient."
Well, he said sorry, and blamed something else as a reason, that is as good as it would get....
500 Baht fine, case closed.... Next....
coffee1.gif

Why would you charge 500 Baht a man who was so sorry

Re: He claimed he had robbed the tourist to get money for his two children as cash from construction work was not sufficient.

Looking at his clothes, hair cut and general appearance .... I doubt very much he's done much construction work in his lifetime let alone support his children. I bet he spends a lot of time and money on his "hair" maintenance program. I guess that's what he calls construction work and child support.

what is totally scary in this story is the picture where the victim has to sit right next to the guy who robbed her and then tried to rape her and possibly kill her later......I mean couldn't they get the victim closer to the rapist just for the photo op? An indication how disgusting this is, the victim is trying to move out of the chair to her right.....

When faced with the evidence the alleged attempted rapist broke down claiming he robbed the victim to get money for his two children.

And what was the teary eyes excuse for the attempted rape?

Their mother doesn't understand me.......

Lowlife.. and tourists seem to be the target more and more.

what is totally scary in this story is the picture where the victim has to sit right next to the guy who robbed her and then tried to rape her and possibly kill her later......I mean couldn't they get the victim closer to the rapist just for the photo op? An indication how disgusting this is, the victim is trying to move out of the chair to her right.....

Possibly giving the victim a chance to pick the pencil off the desk and stab him in the eye with it.

Edit: Or to stab him central mass, they even provided instructions on the wall behind the POS......................wink.png

post-76988-0-17935700-1458784780_thumb.j

....why is the victim forced to sit with the perpetrator....???

...this is totally insane.....

...he was I.D.'d and captured....he confessed....

...theatrics ....so she can hear his 'excuse for being a criminal'......and forgive him........

......or they want to make sure he knows her name and where she is staying....

Question, what was the female tourist doing walking alone at night around a temple? when will the tourist especially female learn tha Thailand is a very dangerous place full of predators who come out at night to prey on people walking alone? happens all the time, just read thai visa!

Surprised that Mr Joe turned out to be Thai after the police chief told us that all rapes and other violent crimes against foreign tourists were all committed by foreign workers (whom Immigration allow in without papers and police are unable to control). But perhaps the fact that he tried to rape the Russian to help his family makes it OK for a Thai to do this.

Question, what was the female tourist doing walking alone at night around a temple? when will the tourist especially female learn tha Thailand is a very dangerous place full of predators who come out at night to prey on people walking alone? happens all the time, just read thai visa!

The two French women raped in Koh Kood were walking with two French men who were also attacked and stabbed. Better not walk around at night at all or better still don't come to Thailand, if you don't want to raped and murdered.

Nothing to do with this case...but about the wages in Thailand. Was just thinking yesterday after meeting a very respectable lady who has taught herself two different types of work, who studies English by herself and speaks it very well and was willing to have sex with me for money...she does all this to help send her daughter through University. They borrowed 40,000 from the bank for fees etc., How sad and difficult life must be when one can't have a basic living even when you have two jobs. She pays 2000 Baht a month to rent a small room for the two of them. Of course I have known all this already since coming here....but it just seem to sink in more because this lady was such a loving mother and had to go to those lengths to give her daughter an education...She was the complete opposite of your usual "sex worker".

Sorry for going off topic.

PS, I'm aware that in the West you can have many similar stories but most have Social Security of some description.

Nothing to do with this case...but about the wages in Thailand. Was just thinking yesterday after meeting a very respectable lady who has taught herself two different types of work, who studies English by herself and speaks it very well and was willing to have sex with me for money...she does all this to help send her daughter through University. They borrowed 40,000 from the bank for fees etc., How sad and difficult life must be when one can't have a basic living even when you have two jobs. She pays 2000 Baht a month to rent a small room for the two of them. Of course I have known all this already since coming here....but it just seem to sink in more because this lady was such a loving mother and had to go to those lengths to give her daughter an education...She was the complete opposite of your usual "sex worker".

PS, I'm aware that in the West you can have many similar stories but most have Social Security of some description.

Seems to something wrong here. You paid the older lady for sex rather than the daughter who is a university student?

Surprised that Mr Joe turned out to be Thai after the police chief told us that all rapes and other violent crimes against foreign tourists were all committed by foreign workers (whom Immigration allow in without papers and police are unable to control). But perhaps the fact that he tried to rape the Russian to help his family makes it OK for a Thai to do this.

Yes, this is now a protected profession for Thai's only.....

When people lose it all, especially parents with children, they lose it. Expect more of the same. Always be aware of who is behind you and motorcycles with two closing in.

As the world economy retreats, I've recommended to my friends, especially women, to learn basic self-defense. A hard, firm strike that causes pain will generally stop an attack. Then run, zig, zagging if possible in case a weapon is fired. Learn non-fatal and fatal strike points. Understand the laws. Witnesses and a security camera to capture the event are also recommended if possible!

The last time I checked the weapons law with the Police, I was told if a person uses an illegal weapon, excluding guns, to protect oneself from an attack, there is no fine and the weapon is not taken by the Police. Example, baton. Of course it depends on the type of illegal weapon. If a person is searched without an attack, and similar weapons are found there is generally a 100 THB fine per weapon and they are taken by the Police. Walking around late at night, especially a foreigner is asking for trouble. They are asking for more trouble wearing expensive jewelry and carrying purses and bags. Common sense saves lives and property. coffee1.gif

Oh dear, Dude, work out the math

Cost of the degree would be in the 200k to 500k range for 3 to 5 year course, thats not per yer, thats total

Which can be as little as 7000 a month, both of them only paying 2000 a month in rent, wage at say a Big C would be 9000 a month for 1

Tight, but far from not do-able

In other words, yes, you got scammed

Despite some negative reactions: Kudos to the Police for solving this case swiftly! The perpetrator will face a judge, he will decide the punishment, not the Police. Many TV.users seem to forget that every time....

You hardly ever see the follow up stories, many TV members joke about a 500 baht slap on the wrist.

But what is this guy really headed for? 10 years in a thai jail? sheesh.

How many deaths occur in thai jails?, can you get reliable figures from anywhere

What does it really mean, a diet of rats and rice for 5 years, then he gets shanked in the heart for looking at some guy the wrong way

Despite some negative reactions: Kudos to the Police for solving this case swiftly! The perpetrator will face a judge, he will decide the punishment, not the Police. Many TV.users seem to forget that every time....

You hardly ever see the follow up stories, many TV members joke about a 500 baht slap on the wrist.

In that we differ of opinion, I think these sort of remarks are more often seriously meant than as a joke. But maybe I'm just being cynical...

MY GOD! have they actually put the would be rapist and thief,in the same room as the victim?She would be dying to scratch his eyes out.How can a police force be so insensitive to the victim as to put them less than 3 ft apart.I cannot believe the outrageous behaviour of a force that are meant to protect people.The wanna be rapist should be in a interview room having the shit drilled out of him.At least the victim should have a female officer with her.It just goes to show that we are inconsequential when it comes to any crimes committed against us here.

MY GOD! have they actually put the would be rapist and thief,in the same room as the victim?She would be dying to scratch his eyes out.How can a police force be so insensitive to the victim as to put them less than 3 ft apart.I cannot believe the outrageous behaviour of a force that are meant to protect people.The wanna be rapist should be in a interview room having the shit drilled out of him.At least the victim should have a female officer with her.It just goes to show that we are inconsequential when it comes to any crimes committed against us here.

Evil prevails,when good men do nothing.

Can someone explain to me why people are carrying around so much money on them ,there was a post yesterday where a tourist family was robbed of similar amount ,when I was there in june last year id withdraw about 200 dollars a day 100 would go in the girls bag and 100 in my wallet batter to get ripped for 100 than 800 I rekon

There are three men standing behind him with one of them very close to the *sshole, he was most likely also handcuffed. Sure, I think that she felt uncomfortable, but scared? Nah, don't think so...

Archived