I need some advice

Jackieiam

Hi guys i am a Asian translator in a China company based in Bangkok. Bare with me it'll take some time to explain my situation.

They have to communicate with the Thai Share holders that's when my job comes in.

I have been doing this for almost 6 month the company is starting slow so there's nothing much for me to do. Most of the time i will be required to translate the message from Thai to Chinese.

But recently i start to feel that both the company are hard to handle. The Thai share holder Obviously the bigger one according to Thai Law, they are using the similar management system like all other Thai company. Which the Chinese don't seems understand at all what is going on. They will ask me to translate the stupidest question just for the Thai side to scold me. On the other hand the Admin from the Thai Share holder is incorporating as she doesn't get extra pay from dealing our admin matters.

So almost everyday there will be some issue that both of them will fight about.

To cut it short what should i actually, my wife tells me to just translate every word they say without the need to understand the meaning.

I thought it could work, but some time the question are just too stupid, that make me feel like a idiot translating it. i'll make a example.

TS: Thai share holder C: Chinese

TS: there's a document regarding your workpermit that needs to be submitted before 31st march

C: Can't we do it when your workpermit ends?

i don't understand which part of what i told them is not clear. C always think that the TS is making the job difficult and the TS thinks that the C don't need to know just have to follow what they tell them to.

To make things worse is that i cannot quit my job as i am a foreign Expats if i quit it will take a long process to cancel my Workpermit and staff like that.

What should i do?

just quit, but make sure your permission to stay is not tied to the job.

Even if it is...which is likely...prepare to leave and re-enter over land border with extension of stay cancellation letter from company (assuming you want to stay in Thailand). Otherwise just fly out.

I think he is asking for practical advice on how to do his job.

Good translation is never translating word for word, and it is not possible to translate well without understanding first what is being said. You have to do your best to help each side understand the other. In some cases (like the example you gave), you may need to add additional explanation when the initial statement was not understood. And when one side asks you to say or ask something that you know will make the other side angry could try first explaining to them yourself, for example "she has already said clearly it has to be by March 31, not when it expires".

Also, as a a translator you need to grow a fairly thick skin. It is not really you they are getting mad at, it is each other, but as you are the one speaking their language they may direct it at you. Adjust the translation to minimize conflict as much as you can (without distorting meaning) and otherwise try not to take it personally.

So I would approach the translation like that.

That said, it does sound like your position may not be too secure given the dynamics there. If I were you I would continue doing my best while quietly looking for a different job, then quit when you have found one so that you can maintain your visa status.

very interesting, powerful and unique position

translation is one thing, interpretation quite another

interpretation requires much more skill and diplomacy then a mere translator, and should be compensated accordingly

if it makes them angry, offering a solution requires even more...

You can translate without the outcome making much sense. Interpretation requires you convey the meaning of the original into the other language. From my experience, not extensive!!, translating Thai literally into Chinese is not that complicated. I suspect neither parties understand the context and meaning of what you need to translate. Does not sound a much fun job. Mind you, from what you write in English you must be relieved you don't have to translate between Thai, Chinese and English!

I would move on

Well thanks guys for the reply, It's not a fun job but it's a job that offers me a much better pay than a Front Desk Manager in a 3-4 star hotel which i used to work at. So i think i'll got to just hang on to it for the time being. Will try not to put my personal feelings into the message that needs to be translate. I don't usually offer my comment as that will requires me to stand against 1 side or even both. Thanks again !