Good experience - Driving Licence

Hel123

I've obtained my first Thai driving licence this morning.

Arrived at office at 9am gave them completed form and documents - Within 10 minutes had Sight (Colour) test and braking reaction test both completed within 5 minutes.

Then a 20 minute wait until called to have photo taken and then another 15 minute wait to be issued with a 2 year temp licence.

I left the office at 10.20am !!

All in all a very easy process.......

A TWO-year? When I got mine, the first licence was for only 1 year.

used to be 1 year at a time, but I also got a two years one at my 2nd renewal. guess they changed the validity from 1 to 2 in 2015.

no need for visa, at least I did my original as well as two renewals with 30d stamp...but always took longer than OP, about half a day or so.

easily goes so that can not finish prior to lunch even if go in morning if not early in queue so would take till afternoon as lunch breaks the process.

I had a similar experience after many years of queuing up at 0700, my last trip I decided to roll in around half 9.. low and behold I went straight up stairs and into the vision and reaction test.. no more early arrivals for me.

Kurt

OP I have planned to get my licence on several occasions but have always found an excuse not to.

When I am back in July I am determined to do it this time, could you list the exact documents you used as I get differing reports.

Thanks mate.

Mate what is the address of that office if you could?

Also I had my first license (1 year) that expired about 3 years ago, decided to get driving again. Do you know if I start from the beginning with the 1 year license or is it more involved?

regards

No written test?!?!? I've been out of the country for a while, and that was a big to-do at the time. The written test was supposed to be a BEAR to pass. If this is true that the written has been phased out, my day just got a lot brighter!

OP I have planned to get my licence on several occasions but have always found an excuse not to.

When I am back in July I am determined to do it this time, could you list the exact documents you used as I get differing reports.

Thanks mate.

The DLT English web page has not been updated for the 2 year licence but that is what you will get.

Also they mean a Valid licence not an invalid one

post-44962-0-59225900-1458903661_thumb.j

If you have an IDP it can make life easier. Also you can go to any DLT office, they may have different rules, if the first says no then just go to the next they may well say yes. I have personal experience of this happening.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

No written test?!?!? I've been out of the country for a while, and that was a big to-do at the time. The written test was supposed to be a BEAR to pass. If this is true that the written has been phased out, my day just got a lot brighter!

If you already have a license from another country you should not have to take the written (computer) test.

If you have no licence you will have to take it.

Also I had my first license (1 year) that expired about 3 years ago, decided to get driving again. Do you know if I start from the beginning with the 1 year license or is it more involved?

regards

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/792368-map-from-pattaya-to-chonburi-land-transportation-office/

You will only be given a beginner license again but they are now 2 years not 1 year.

Kurt

regards

Almost start again. If you have had no licence for more than a year.

See remark 1 and 2

it is not clear if you will get a 2 or 5 year licence

post-44962-0-87286600-1458904457_thumb.j

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Hi All,

I went to the office just outside Pattaya.......

I got a ticket from the machine downstairs and then went upstairs and was given a form to complete, the lady was very helpful.

I took the following documents.

Passport

Certificate of residence

Medical certificate

International Driving Permit

I also took a copy of all of the above and remember to sign every copy.

Even though I have a Full UK driving licence I wasn't asked to produce it, however, all of the information is included on the International Driving Permit.

I have a retirement visa.

I can't comment on other people's experiences with their applications but mine went very smoothly.

I did not have to take any tests other than the 'Brake' test and the 'Colour' sight test.

I'm pretty sure that because my International Driving Permit demonstrated that I had a Full UK driving licence made the application go smoothly.

In my opinion the International Driving Permit goes a long way in assisting with the application.

Cost of licence 205 baht and I purchased a plastic licence holder for 10 baht.

Hope this is of help to some people...

H.